Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Mavic EN521 Tubeless Conversion Help (I know, sorry……)
  • core

Hi,

Planning on going tubeless on my 521 rims.

They are hope built and currently have their green rim tape in.

I plan on using the stans system, not ghetto with bmx tubes.

The stans website says:

Mavic, Size 26, Model 521

NoTubes Rim Strip: Rhyno Lite
    Product No.: RS0023
    Inside Width: 21

Notes:
    This rim will work better with one layer of 22mm Velox rim tape instead of the Universal Kit Tape provided. This 22mm Velox rim tape also pushes the rim strip up closer to the bottom of the tire improving the seal

So, I’m presuming whip the green tape out first? And are there any alternatives to the velox rim tape?

Cheers,

Sam

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I converted mine to tubeless.

Several layers of Electrical tape, and a BMX innertube cut to the width of the rim. Off the top of my head it took quite a bit of tape, so if thegreen tape is quite thick I’d leave that in and put the BMX tube/strip on top of that, try and inflate a tyre, if it goes up fine then you’re good to go, if not remove the cut down tube/strip and add more electrical tape.

The electrical tapes about the same density as innertube, I’ve done other rims by just building up layers and layers of tape untill the tyre inflates easily, a whole roll only weighs about 30g-40g, about the same as a Stans strip. Then just poked a valve (cut from an old tube) through and done up the locknut really tight.

I’ve not had much luck with the method of installing the split tube and tyre, inflating then trimming the excess, prefer to bodge a ‘stans type strip’ from the old tube first and install that.

wukfit
    Free Member

i’m looking at doing the same with my 321’s (although 19mm tape), other brands/pvc tape would work but i’ll get the velox just because its whats recommended and is £5 roughly
    not sure about the green strip, i’d remove it myself
    what tyres are you going to use (out of interest)?

oldejeans
    Free Member

I took the green rim strip off, and used a single layer of the rim tape, which came with the rhyno lite rim strips.

Both my used TLR NN 2.25 and 2.4 seated and inflated almost immediately using a track pump, and a bit of soapy water, although once I’d worn the 2.25 out I had to cut it off the rim.

oldejeans
    Free Member

correction – it was 22mm velox

VanHalen

321’s and ghetto tubless here. most tyres go up easily. couple of wraps of leccy tape (mainly as i`m too tight to buy rim tape!) and split bmx tube. If split bmx tubes are good enough for Jared Graves they are good enough for you.

JRA tapes have a huge valve bulge so couldnt get them to work.

havent tried stans strips.

core

A couple of questions:

1: The stans yellow tape/electrical/gorilla tape – is the intention for it to actually seal the spoke/eyelet holes in the inner surface of the rim, or does the ghetto tube/stans strip do all the sealing?

2: If you make your own stans style strip from a bmx tube (rather than trimming down after), how wide did you actually trim it down to, and did you do this on or off the rim?

Point taken about stans strips v bmx tubes, they’re a fraction of the price & do the same thing effectively.

Planning on using Specialized Butcher Control up front and Purgatory Control rear.

core

After some more reading, I can answer question 1 myself, the rim/gorilla/velox tape is just building up the base for the ghetto/stans strip and stopping the spoke holes chafing it, I get that.

Would still like some advice on number 2 please!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Stan’s rimstrips are expensive but they are more easily re-usable than the ghetto strips, so you need to factor in the faff issue.

Answer to 2: Inflate the tyre, then trim the ghetto tube with Stanley knife leaving 5mm or so sticking out all the way round. If you trim really close to the bead/rim then it still works but you’ll struggle to re-use the strip if you deflate the tyre or change tyres. Don’t slash through the tyre…

core

thisisnotaspoon above^ said he just made his own version of a Stan’s strip from a cut down tube (i.e. cut it to width before fitting tyre, not trim it after), but I’m not sure how wide you’d have to cut it for this to work?

core

So, in the end I jibbed out & spunked some cash on the velox tape & stans strips……..

Mounted tyres with tubes for 5 days, tackled the front tonight, tyre off, tube out, installed the velox tape & strips, tyres went on with just one lever to pop the last bit on the rim, sealant in, aldi track pump, pushed down on valve, went up a treat, now just to see if it stays up…….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Mavic EN521 Tubeless Conversion Help (I know, sorry……)’ is closed to new replies.