Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Mavic en 821/ hope pro 2 evo wheel build?
  • ragleysi
    Free Member

Hi folks, anybody out there know if you can build the hope hubs onto mavic en 821 rims? I’m pretty sure they’re both 32 h, so the rim doesn’t use mavic specific spokes? Any knowledge gratefully received! Thank you.

househusband

Mavic UST rims so they’ll come with the Mavic nipple receptacles – absolutely nothing* that will prevent you from building them up with Pro2 hubs.

* Nothing apart from suggesting alternative rims such as Flows!

ragleysi
    Free Member

Haha, I’ve had flows before, just fancied trying a mavic, love the crossmax sx, and can just about stretch to them, but it’s a frighteningly large outlay when I can get some stans/ hope setup for 130 quid cheaper! Using the mavic rim should be a similar cost to using the flow rims, but I will obviously also have the cost of the build to pay for cos their not off the shelf….

ragleysi
    Free Member

Just gotta love hope hubs, bulletproof and beautifully made…..

househusband

Your wheelbuilder may well, understandably, charge more for the build due to the added faff of the Mavic UST rims – I’ve built with them myself!

ragleysi
    Free Member

Understood house husband, luckily for me my mate is the manager at my lbs!

torihada
    Free Member

Hi folks, anybody out there know if you can build the hope hubs onto mavic en 821 rims? I’m pretty sure they’re both 32 h, so the rim doesn’t use mavic specific spokes? Any knowledge gratefully received! Thank you.

Interested on what you pay in the end. Exact wheels I’m going to build up when I resurrect my 6″ FS. I expect to pay more as my mate isn’t the LBS manager.

bbb
    Free Member

I built some – beautiful wheels. These are the notes from my wee wheelbuilding book:

En821 erd 536 nipple length 16mm on pro 2 evo 32 3x = 257mm spoke length all round. Flat rim side non disc front; disc side rear.

HTH.

Ps Total cost £360

Northwind

Have you managed to find a true weight for the 821s, incidentally?

bbb
    Free Member

Haven’t weighed them but they have the same rim profile as the crossmax sx, so will be similar to them.

Ticklinjock

Interested in this too. BBB- Is this for a 26″ rim?

davenorth1
    Free Member

ive got them built up with the blue pro 2 hubs. fantastic 29er wheels. really fast and bombproof. £370 for the build

mikewsmith
    Free Member

bbb – Member
    Haven’t weighed them but they have the same rim profile as the crossmax sx, so will be similar to them.

And with the extra special nipples? It took the 819 out of the equation especially as to how well the 719 went tubeless.

bbb
    Free Member

Yep 26″ here. The weight of the nipples is easily offset by the tubeless properties and the ease of use of tubeless ready tyres.

Northwind

Well… Not really, since there’s competitors that do that too, without the extra weight.

nickc

I can think of better (lighter/reliability) combos than ProII and 821

Moonglu
    Free Member

We’ve added them to our Pro 2 Evo Wheelbuilder, I built and weighed a set yesterday.

Front = 909g
    Rear = 1040g

Built with Sapim Race 256 spokes and 16mm brass nipples. Comparable in weight to Pro 2 Evo on Flow EX (F:907g R:1034g)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The weight of the nipples is easily offset by the tubeless properties and the ease of use of tubeless ready tyres.

Considering I’m running tubeless on 7xx mavic rime with just 2 laps of stans tape and some fluid I’m fairly skeptical.

Northwind

That is a good weight though, looks like the printed weights might be more accurate than we’re used to with Mavic! Cheers Moonglu!

ragleysi
    Free Member

Moonglu, would the cost be the same with a 10mm bolt up rear hub?

meames
    Free Member

Just got a set of these rims to lace up to some ProII Evo hubs – look to be very nice (weight is exactly 450g as stated + the Mavic cups)

What I’m struggling with is figuring out the spoke length as the Mavic calculator (which uses hub hole diameter & flange to fork/frame support distance and hides things such as the ERD and offset) is throwing up the following numbers:

Front Non-Drive = 258.36mm
    Front Drive = 259.97mm

Rear Non-Drive = 259.45mm
    Rear Drive = 258.61mm

This is different to what both Moonglu and bbb have listed as the spoke length so I’m wondering where to go with this? The offset design means it’s difficult to use standard calculators.

Thanks

Moonglu
    Free Member

meames, I went 258/260 first time and they were miles out, easily bottomed out the spoke threads without any real tension. I went for 256mm based on the rim offset, previous experience with asymmetric rims and the first attempt failure. I would guess with 16mm nipples that you could go as low as 254mm successfully. Hope this helps with your build.

bbb
    Free Member

I tried a few spoke length calculators and got varying results. Measured the rim erd myself to be 536mm and with that 257mm all round with pro 2 evos was what the calculators recomended with 16mm nipples. Settled on 256mm spokes and they tensioned up nicely.

meames
    Free Member

Very useful thanks – I was getting a little confused but 256mm all round makes sense based on the asymmetric design, I could see that adding offset in the calculator brings the spoke length closer L+R.

live2play
    Free Member

Very helpful info.

I am going to be build up this same configuration and just want to confirm that the proper orientation of the rim to hub for a rear wheel is the flat side to the disc side.

I was pretty much sorted out with this until the rim arrived. There is a sticker with an arrow pointing the direction for front/rear build. The confusion lies if the arrow should point forward or in the direction of wheel travel/motion?

bbb
    Free Member

I am going to be build up this same configuration and just want to confirm that the proper orientation of the rim to hub for a rear wheel is the flat side to the disc side.

For the rear wheel that is correct.

kodo28
    Free Member

The stickers are just making people crazy…this have been also discussed on other Forum
    Here

Just awaiting for my Saint Hubs to build mines

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Mavic en 821/ hope pro 2 evo wheel build?’ is closed to new replies.