Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Mavic Crosstrail UST Wheelset opinions?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

anybody running a set of these? thinking of treating myself to a new pair of wheels, current pro2 (evo rear) set with mavic 819 UST rims at the mo, really love the simplicity of my tubeless setup so ust proper rims are a must (no, stans etc)…

are the bearings easily replaceble? they seem quite light at 1685 for a trail type bike currently lighter than the above ones i have…

they looks pretty nifty in the flesh too at lbs, very similar finish to the crossmax slr rather than just plain black rims…

any advice or opinions appreciated!

can get a set for about 280 brand new so it seems a decent buy for out and out UST wheelset

Nobby

Mine have been good, solid & reliable over the last two years with the only issue being the bushing in the freehub wearing – probably due to my lack of maintenance. A new freehub is easily sourcsed & fitted although there’s a fella on fleabay (the hub doctor) who does the bushing on its own.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers nobby – guessing the rims will be similar to xm819 ust then? does the freehub come off tool free or do you need specific tools for the bearing removal etc?

any more thoughts guys? cant get a set of pro 2’s on mavic 819s for the same sort of money, and i think i want to stick with mavic for the full UST option

Nobby

I’ve found the rims stiffer than the 819’s & UST/TL ready tyres seem to seat easily.

Freehub comes off with a couple of allen keys & is a doddle to sort.

Only warning I would give is that, should you bend one out on the trails, it’s unlikely anyone else will have a spoke key to fit them. I’ve kept mine in my camelbak but have never needed to use it despite my ‘heavy’ riding style.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

thats great info thanks nobby – what is the bearing life like? i know dependany on how much you use them and conditions etc…

good to know about the freehub etc, i dont currently use/have a spoke key for my 819’s so not much difference there, im only around 10.5 stone and do tend to ride quite light..

micky
    Free Member

I have an old set. As mentioned the inner side of the freewheel hub has a nylon bushing instead of a bearing. This needs to be lubed with mineral oil as per the instructions or it will wear faster and cause the cassette to wobble. That said maintenance is low really. Fantastic wheels.

Nobby

Bearings still smooth as, despite riding in all conditions.

Oh, and I’m considerably ‘bigger built’ than you….

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

any more thoughts on these before i go ahead and buy?

ive heard as above the reports about the freehub nylon bush, but these are the newer 2012 style ones, so im wondering if this has been fixed as they have changed them a fair bit and lost around 180 grams off the weight to from previous model

joblessmonkeyboy
    Free Member

Hi

A bit cheeky but sort of relevent, I have a set of the older ones in my garage in excelent condition. £125 if your interested.

alans220
    Free Member

Hi,

Do you still have these for sale?

al

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Mavic Crosstrail UST Wheelset opinions?’ is closed to new replies.