Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Mavic crossrides views?
  • seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Thinking of picking some up new or maybe on here. I want to run Centre lock discs and these seem a good option as you can get them with splines on. I normally just go with Hope Hubs on lightish Mavic or similar rim. Never had no probs with the good old Hope XC hubs, or Bulbs I always use. Just I like the look of these and was thinking of getting rid of my Hope wheel build on my 26inch wheeled bike and going for some of these. Not sure on the quality of Hubs though/ Or spokes etc. I suppose they can't be worse than Shimanos crap hubs, but thats not saying much is it. Hope hubs are good though. What you think to The Mavics?

mtbmaff
    Free Member

Hi Seth,

I've got a pair which I've used for 2 years now and they haven't missed a beat.

Mine cost £100ish on a deal from CRC, they look a lot classier/expensive than they are.

Bearings and still smooth, spokes tight.

There are a few pairs on the classified that keep cropping up for sale.

Matt.

BenjiM

Still running great after 4 Years no need for new bearings at all. Be aware that Mavic spokes can be awkward to find if you break one.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

They're great wheels. Bearings last and easy to tension. Just regularly service the freehub and they'll last and last. Why do you want to convert to centrelock? IMO, it has no benefit over rotor bolts and you're limiting yourself to Shimano-only brakes.

Kahurangi

Spokes are apparently awkward to get replacements.

Hub bearings are long-lasting.

One of my pokes took a knock from the stray rock and broke the hub though!

pixelmix
    Free Member

Not the lightest wheels in the world, but I've had a set on my rigid singlespeed for the past 8 months, and they have been fine. Look more expensive than they are, and seem good for the money – £130 or so from Merlin for a pair!

M6TTF
    Free Member

If they were tubeless ready I'd snap a pair up – you have to mve up the range – then your into hope hoops money which seem a better bet

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I jus like centre lock rotors. Its a good idea. My other wheels are centre lock with XTR rotors on and they dont come loose. I have had had the odd rotors bolt come loose in the past. I suupose there is nothing in that though.

stumpy01

Mate of mine had some Crossrides and didn't get on with them at all.

I've never known him bend a wheel but one of them went out of shape in no time at all.
    The rear hub also needed servicing very quickly and he had a nightmare trying to get a replacement spoke when one broke.

Splash-man
    Free Member

I’ve had a pair for a couple of years on my SS so not used heavily. Not touched them since I’ve had them and they run super smooth and straight. They do seem to be a good second hand buy.
    That said I got mine in a wheel deal from Merlin for £200 including a set of brakes so was happy.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Been running crossrides this year as a cheap do it all rim, (slightly outclassed by the rest of the bike to be honest), and they’ve been great.

The only issue I have is that they are a real pain in the arse to change tyre on. They are very tight and require two tyres levers as opposed to just rolling the tyre on with my had.

stayhigh

I’ve got a pair of Crossrides on my Heckler at present which came from Merlin some 3 years ago. They spent two years on mt partners bike doing long non technical off road riding, towpath, doubletrack etc, I used them for a while with my HT and they’ve been on my Heckler for around 3 months for all round trail riding.

They went on the Heckler as my XT/719’s were being repaired and TBH I havent noticed any difference or problems with them at all, no having to adjust cup & cones or trueing and the bearings are still smooth.

I’ve not tried them tubeless yet as I cant decide which would be better out of these and my XT/719’s.

IMO for the money you really cant go wrong 🙂

pcalkin@yahoo.co.uk
    Free Member

All new 2011 crossride are centre lock ready and come with a six bolt adaptor. Spokes can be and issue, but mine haven’t ever snapped despite some abuse. By far the best budget wheel set availiable, £180rrp for bladed spoke and sealed bearings. Very good value IMO

warpcow
    Free Member

I had some older ones (about ’07/08 I think). Didn’t get on with them at all. Like someone mentioned Tyres were really tight to get on and off. Then I managed to pop a spoke out from the hub, shearing off the little flange that holds it. That was just while riding on the road one day. In fairness, Mavic’s warranty department was very quick at getting me a new wheel, but I sold them after that. In the same price-range I bought Fulcrum Red Metal 5s, which I think are better in almost every way (haven’t had to test the warranty yet).

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve had some on my Cove Handjob for 18 months now, not a single issue to report bar a fair old hammering in all sorts of conditions, highly recommended to be honest. Especially for the price

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Mavic crossrides views?’ is closed to new replies.