• This topic has 27 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by maxb.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Mavic "Crossride" wheels – what's the catch? (Too cheap to be true content)
  • plyphon
    Free Member

Heya,

Looking at a wider set of 26″ wheels to replace my Pro Evo2/XC717 set up. I don’t really want to pay Hope prices as it’s an older bike now.

Looking at these:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mavic-crossride-mtb-wheelset-2016/rp-prod140713

They look pretty good at £166, light enough, wide enough at 21mm, pinned sure – but who cares right.

So whats the catch? Is there anything better around? Are they actually terrible?

Cheers

davidjey
    Free Member

I think I had an older 26in set of these – certainly Mavic CrossSomethings in this price range. They ran faultlessly for 18 months until I sold the bike they were on.

acidchunks

I have the 29er version of the rear on my commuter. I’m happy with it for that purpose but not sure I’d view it as a suitable replacement on my mtb.

Only 24 spokes so probably only suitable for light xc

From the mavic site:

INTENDED USE

ASTM CATEGORY 3 : offroad with jumps less than 61cm

For a longer longevity of the wheel, Mavic recommends that the total weight supported by the wheels doesn’t exceed 120kg, bike included

hp_source

I’ve had the 26″ ones before now, never had any issues…

They are even cheaper at Merlin too…

https://www.merlincycles.com/mavic-crossride-mtb-wheelset-2016-88174.html

Yak

I had a pair a few years ago. A spoke snapped on the first ride and buckled the front wheel. Spokes weren’t available then so the wheel was unrepairable. I ran the back wheel for a bit longer, but that went the same way in the end within 1/2 a year. Pretty poor imo. Things might have got better since though.

Handbuilt somethings on deores would be better, or one of the wider rimmed superstar wheelsets on switch hubs

amedias
    Free Member

Spokes weren’t available then so the wheel was unrepairable

They take standard straight pull spokes, DT Swiss, ACI, Sapim etc. all have compatible spokes, you don’t have to buy the mavic specific ones. Also, if a spoke snaps on the first ride, and the shop claim thy cant get spares then is that not an immediate new wheel under warranty? can’t see how that situation would leave you (as the customer) with an-un-usable wheel whatever the circumstances.

Whilst you experience sounds particularly bad it is not representative of those wheels, Crossrides are just a decent budget factory wheelset, personally I’d always go hand-built and would always advise the same if asked (unless there was some specific technology or feature that was only available as part of a factory set that you wanted), but not because the Crossrides are bad, just because there’s no reason to choose them, although at that price they’re a pretty good deal!

Keva
    Free Member

those look like the same wheels I’ve had on one of my bikes since 2008. Never had a problem with them, never even changed the bearings in the hubs. they just keep turning year after year, nothing wrong with them except I can’t adjust the spokes anymore, but none of them are loose anyway.

Yak

I’d admitted to not having wheels-on-the-ground or whatever the terms were then (less than the 61cm above), so it was my fault and couldn’t get a warranty replacement.

Happy to get rid of them tbh and switch back to hand-builts, especially given that merlin etc do great deals on hand-builts anyway. The op would do well with the current flows on deores for £95 deal, if weight wasn’t a concern.

scrap that – 29er only, but the basic handbuilts on deores won’t be much more.

Marin
    Free Member

Had a pair on my hardtail for years no issues. Used them in Alps and Southern Spain as well. Appear to be bombproof for me.

woodster

Never had any bother with my Crossrides, but if I wanted to go wider I’d look at something like these at Merlin. Supposed to be decent and I’m a big fan of wider wheels now.

Del

unless you specifically wanted a spare set of wheels i’d just get the rim of your choice built on to your existing hubs.

plyphon
    Free Member

unless you specifically wanted a spare set of wheels i’d just get the rim of your choice built on to your existing hubs.

I thought about this, but with the cost of building, spokes and rims it got quite close to the price of new wheels! (I can then sell the Hopes and get back £100 or so as I don’t need a spare pair)

Thanks for all the suggestions above, I’ll look into Merlin and the Superstar ones. Some good reviews above which is comforting 🙂

gonzy
    Free Member

i had a pair of the original versions. i liked them and they were reasonably light. i eventually sold them 5 years ago. and then wished i hadnt.

breadcrumb

I bought a secondhand set from a larger gentleman, used them for two years in the Lakes, never missed a beat.

plyphon
    Free Member

Must say I am tempted to pull the trigger on the Mavics.

I specced up some handbuilts at Merlin, Deroes on EN521 rims, and it came to £175. SO quite a bit more than the Mavics at Merlin for £130.

(thought admittedly a much better rim I guess.)

stayhigh

I had a pair of these from 2008 which in one form or another covered everything from weekends in wales; Cwm Carn, Afan, Brechfa, CYB, Marin, to local trails and then onto commuting.

They had a good 5 years of regular use with little in the way of tlc and never missed a beat.

woody2000

OP – I’ve got a set of unused Superstar wheels for sale:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-superstar-26-wheels

20mm front/QR rear but adapters available to change to pretty much any standard.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I thought about this, but with the cost of building, spokes and rims it got quite close to the price of new wheels! (I can then sell the Hopes and get back £100 or so as I don’t need a spare pair)

If you’re thinking of this I’ve a pair of Pro2Evo’s in Funn XLRater rims, I built them for my last 26″ bike but never used them. I’ve also got a used (<500mile) pair of Hope XC rear and Bulb front (with 20mm and QR adapters) in Mavic EN521 rims. All wheels built by me with DT Comps.

I’d swap the unused pair for the bare hubs +£100, or the used pair for the hubs. It’s that or I’ll strip them for the hubs, but that seems a waste of perfectly good wheels if they’re of any use to someone.

amedias
    Free Member

Deroes on EN521 rims, and it came to £175. SO quite a bit more than the Mavics at Merlin for £130.

Also using a more readily repairable hub with easy spare parts availability should anything go wrong.

A down side though, not as axle-adaptable…assuming that the mavics can be easily adapted, I haven’t read up on the current options.

plyphon
    Free Member

Also using a more readily repairable hub with easy spare parts availability should anything go wrong.

A down side though, not as axle-adaptable…assuming that the mavics can be easily adapted, I haven’t read up on the current options.

also true. The mavics come with adapters for all current standards I believe.

Thanks for the offers above, i’ll certainly consider them!

kimbers

Mavic enduro yellow wheels where everywhere a couple of seasons ago, note they’ve all exploded, even if these are completely different in not sure I’d trust them

Del

OP, drop me a line if you want shot the old ones. del_pageatyahoodotcom

plyphon
    Free Member

Will do, cheers

It’s pay day next week so expect traction then 🙂 (excuse the pun…. traction – wheels – ahh get outta here.)

Yak

Hmmm, obviously just me with a duff set then going by the above. It was the first version of them though, and my 2 lbs’s couldn’t get spokes to fit then. Obviously all different now.

I’d still go handbuilt,superstar, or one of the offers above though for ease of service/replacement bearings/spokes, etc

PolisherMan

Just bought a rear one. A bit lardy but not a real issue for the price. I just decided that at £80 it was worth a punt, it’s easy to say get a proper hand built hope/stan but not everyone wants to/ or can spend £230 on a wheel.
    Get the 2016 version and the rim isn’t pinned. Only 3 rides in so far but can’t fault it….and the spokes make a lovely noise when you wash them with a hosepipe 😉

timidwheeler

Had hub issues on both my rear ones. But now I just ignore the pedals spinning round when I push the bike.

tpbiker
    Free Member

you want my cheap as chips stans 335 rims on pro 2 front and xt rear hub….

65 Quid to you sir…

maxb
    Free Member

Sorry for a bit of thread resurrection but does anyone know if these are eyeletted? I’ve been running a faultless Crossride on the rear since around 2008 and need a new pair and it seems they may not have eyelets on the 2016 version of Crossrides?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Mavic "Crossride" wheels – what's the catch? (Too cheap to be true content)’ is closed to new replies.