Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Mavic CrossONE 2014 Wheelset any good?
  • devash
    Free Member

I’m looking for a cheapish wheelset to replace the stock ones on my Specialized Camber, as a warranty claim I made through Tredz / Specialized has taken over 4 months now.

Seen these going for just under £150 but can’t find any decent reviews online. I’m presuming these are replacing the Crossmax series.

They will only really be used for XC with some occasional light trail use, nothing crazy. I’d be interested to hear anyone’s experiences with them, and I’m also open to other suggestions (Shimano etc).

IA

A crossmax is a £500+ wheelset.

I doubt there’s much in common with some £150 crossones other than name and perhaps colour?

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Firstly it’s unusual for a warranty through Spesh to take anything like that long , perhaps the shop is dragging it’s feet .
    The CrossOne is a new wheelset for 2014 so you won’t see reviews . It is the entry level Mavic wheel and seems like a Crossride but with round spokes . The Crossride for 2014 is sold as a bolt through wheelset only that’s why the CrossOne has appeared as a QR wheelset .

chakaping
    Free Member

warranty claim I made through Tredz

Why doesn’t that surprise me? Have you had to chase them on numerous occasions by any chance?

Don’t hold your breath for a good outcome.

Sorry can’t help with the wheels, but Superstar probably have some decent options at your budget if you want new.

devash
    Free Member

@ IA – Sorry mate, meant Crossride not Crossmax, my bad.

@ Chakaping – Must have called Tredz 20-odd times over the past few months (they don’t answer emails so gave up on that).

First they tried to fob me off by saying I needed to take the bike to a local shop. Second they said Specialized had ordered me a new rear wheel which evidently ‘went missing’ before they could send it. Thirdly they sent me out a 29er wheel with the wrong hub size instead of a standard 26″ 135mm one. Fourthly they tried to blame Specialized by saying they no longer make 26″ wheels and said they’d rebuild my existing rear wheel with the new hub. I’m currently without a rear wheel and no idea when this is going to happen.

I learnt the hard way never to buy a bike online and especially NEVER from Tredz. 😀

bigrich
    devash
    Free Member

I did look at them actually. Would the hubs be modifiable if I bought a new bike further down the road that, for example, needed a 15mm through axle instead of QR? If I splashed out that much I’d preferably want something I could reuse on a new build.

Rosss
    Free Member

Front and rear axles can change to anything apart from 150mm rear IIRC so you’d be fine there. I really rate their hubs, easy to convert and rebuild and seem builtproof. I spec them on all my bikes unless I can afford something a bit lighter and less reliable. Those wheels would be a good investment

Although you;d hear a lot of rubbish about Superstar components I had a set of Am wheels from them in sale for £110 and I was really suprised at the build quality and finish, I’d have a look. Other options if you want to spend a little more are Crossrides and easton haven but I dont believe the havens are interchangeable.

For the type of riding your doing i’d say hope hoops with Stans Crest rims, or Arch Ex rims if you think you’ll be doing a bit more aggressive riding.

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

I had a set of Mavic Crossrides on a bike I acquired. Did’nt really get on with them. The Mavic rear hub seemed to slip and the wheels flexed a lot, so I just swapped to a set of Hope Hoops with Arch EX Rims, they are running with UST tyres and I feel they have transformed the ride.

I’m about 80kg kitted up and the new wheels are more up to the task. Hope seem to be universally popular hubs with lots of options for axle standards, most bike shops carry spare parts and they can be repaired quickly by an amateur mechanic using the Hope website and common sense.

I’d highly recommend them.

warpcow
    Free Member

Crossones are a rung below Crossrides (so the bottom then). Basically an oem wheelset so manufacturers can show off a ‘blingy’ Mavic wheelset without it costing much. There’s almost certainly much better available for the price; Fulcrum are good and usually on offer at various places.

devash
    Free Member

Thanks all for the excellent info. I’ve narrowed down my choice to either a set of Shimano MT65’s or Fulcrum Red Power XL’s.

Both are available delivered for around £150. Pros / cons on these two?

Seems like the Shimanos get good rep for their ease of serviceability and availability of parts while the Fulcrums seem tougher / more durable?

DezB
    Free Member

ease of serviceability

Whereas the others don’t need servicing.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Mavic CrossONE 2014 Wheelset any good?’ is closed to new replies.