Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Mavic Crossmax SX wheels on a 150 wheel spacing frame?
  • markv
    Free Member

Any engineers out there?

I was thinking of running a pair of Mavic Crossmax SX’s on a Morewood Kalulu. The Mavic’s are 142 rear hub spacing and the Kalulu has a 150 rear hub spacing.

I will run an axle with 2x4mm spacers to make the 142mm hub the same size as a 150mm, so it fits into the frame. Any ideas why I shouldn’t try this!

It might effect the chain line, I can’t think of any other reason why not to.

Any opions are most welcome!

Thanks

Mark

jedi

my 2012 crossmax sx are 135 rear as standard and i use them 12x142mm with the supplied spacers. are yours full 142??

honourablegeorge

Your chainline will be well off, and your rear disc will be well off centre too.

142 wheels are still pretty much 135 width – the extra 3.5mm either side is recessed into the frame, everything else is unchanged form 135 – so you’re looking at both your chain and disc being 7.5mm out of line.

You could bodge the brake with longer bolts and loads of spacers, and live with the chainline – but I wouldn’t.

sssimon
    Free Member

chainline and caliper alignment, side loads on the axle

markv
    Free Member

no sorry your right they are 135mm with the supplied spacers making them 142mm. So I guess making them 150 would be spacing them out further!

Probably to much I guess.

It’s annoying as the deemax are a lot heavier and the crossmax are a good weight and still bombproof.

markv
    Free Member

Thanks all, it sounds like a right cowboy thing to do then!
    I guess I’ll have to find some light weight 150 wheels.

honourablegeorge

I was going to suggest a Deemax hub, but I checked – the spoke counts are different, so it’d be far more hassle than it’s worth.

markv
    Free Member

Cheers for your help, I think I’ll buy the full bike instead of the frame and live with the wheels it comes with.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Mavic Crossmax SX wheels on a 150 wheel spacing frame?’ is closed to new replies.