Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Mavic Crossmax SLR Disc????
  • Silverfoxjules
    Free Member

Thinking of buying a set of these babies…MAVIC Crossmax SLR Discs – has anyone got some feedback………all appreciated…..!!

Cheers – Silverfoxjules!!

njee20
    Free Member

Heavy, not particularly reliable, or stiff, vastly overpriced.

Go nuts!

Coleman
    Free Member

I have 2 pairs of SL's and one pair of SLR's. The oldest pair have had 5 years regular/hard use.
    Have had no problems at all. Bearings still super smooth, rims still true. The only maintenance needed so far has been to clean out and regrease the freewheel.
    They are quite expensive and there are lighter wheels out there but they do look good. Perhaps the biggest drawback is getting them rebuilt if damaged.

Silverfoxjules
    Free Member

Cheers so far – as always, 2 mixed reports. I know there are lighter ones but as I've had 2 sets of mavic – 717's and 317's before and they;ve been great, thought I'd upgrade.

These SLR's feel pretty damn light at 1520grms though…….??

njee20
    Free Member

Not popped spokes or had the bush at the back of the freehub body die? Those are the usual ones!

They're not bad wheels per se, they're just obscenely expensive for what they are.

Take the SLRs vs the SLs, £100ish extra for one red spoke and some ti skewers which weigh more than Tune/KCNC/Carbon-Ti etc. Wooooooo!

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Been happy with mine.
    So far they have been totally reliable and they are very stiff for a XC racing wheel (15mm version).

There are lighter wheels out there, but they won't be as stiff or UST.

Not saying they are the best wheels out there, just not as bad as some people (njee20 for one) are making out.

njee20
    Free Member

I said they're not bad wheels per se.

They may be stiff for an XC race wheel, but they're also bloody heavy for an XC race wheel, they used to be good, old hat now. Not saying people should throw theirs out, but I don't know why you'd buy them anymore.

UST's over rated anyway, Stan's works better/weighs less, or you could just run UST anyway!

nickc

Got to agree with njee here, they're OK, but nowt special, certainly you could get just as good for a lot less dosh.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

1500g is not that heavy, it's just not super light.
    I know for example you can build a set of American classic hubs on stans rims for less money and less weight, but they won't be as durable or as stiff. There is usually a trade off somewhere.

I can see where your both coming from regarding price vs performance, and I have to say that if I were buying a set of race wheels I'd probably go some Hope Hoops SP XC3 with Stans 355 rims, although I'm not sure if they would weigh much less?

njee20
    Free Member

Possibly not much, but they'd cost £200 less!

I'd say something like DT240s on Olympics with Super Comps would be stiffer, more reliable, cheaper and lighter to boot.

Admittedly it wouldn't look as bling…

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I'm not going to bother going any further, except to say that they is no chance they will be stiffer.

No where near. Perhaps you should ride some SLR wheels back to back on a proper ride with another lightweight alternative before commenting.

glynP
    Free Member

1500 grams is not heavy its very light, I've got the ST's at 1640g and they are superb. My mate has some 1400g dt swiss wheels but they feel a little noodily. Mavics are ace. also got sl's for my road bike 4 years on no problems

peteimpreza

I have SLs and SLRs and they are great. Don't like the new price then keep any eye on the Classifieds.

Picked up both pairs off here , one with tubeless tyres included, for less than one new set.

njee20
    Free Member

Fair enough, I'm more than happy to be proven wrong. I always liked Mavic wheels, I just don't think they've improved at all, they're the same hubs they used in 1996 Crossmax, other things have moved on, and they do seem to suffer exactly the same problems they always have!

Now there's a Mavic UK service centre and central distributor at least the spares issue should be solved, but it doesn't get around the £30 for a pack of 10 when you break a spoke!

Surely you have to admit that SLRs are a bit of a joke over SLs though Matt!? And are the SLRs worth the £870 retail price, or even the £765 that CRC charge?

onandon
    Free Member

I have a pair of 2008 SL's and a pair of ZTR on DT Swiss 240 hubs with revolutions spokes.
    the Sl's are a better wheel for strength and bling but id say the ZTR's are better for tubeless with standard tyres and spin better than the Sl's.

the main reason the Sl's are 'heavy' is due to the steel free hub, the actual spokes ,hubs and rims are actually pretty damn good.

gee
    Free Member

Heavy, overpriced, impossible to get spokes for, spokes pop out, freehub body seizes….

Get some 240s on Stans with Aerolites or CX-Rays and you'll be lighter, cheaper and happier when a spoke breaks at a trail centre and WOW you can buy a replacement.

GB

peteimpreza

Silverfoxjules where in Wilts are you?

I live near by and work in Malmesbury. I could loan you a set for a test ride if you want. Are you going to Big Bike Bash?

Mail in profile.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Mavic Crossmax SLR Disc????’ is closed to new replies.