Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Mavic Crossmax SLR Split Rim
  • Mr-B
    Free Member

I own a set of Mavic SLR Crossmax wheels and i went to repair a puncture but when i looked at the rim for a general clean up i notice that to either side of the valve hole the rim has split big time(at least to the distance of two spokes each side and this was the cause of my puncture cause the rough edge has wore the tube away) its that bad that when i put another tube in a inflated it the rim swells up in the place to over a centimetre thicker. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? Its the best Mavic Wheel on the market and at only 3yrs old its a total shitter i would of expected better from it really.

gee
    Free Member

I’ve given up with Mavic wheels after a string of problems. 3 years sounds pretty good from a super light rim designed for low weight rather than durability! Spares are easily available.

GB

Mr-B
    Free Member

If they say that for a lightwieght wheel then thats quite a good life cause to be fair its had a hard life and one hell of alot of miles done so i’m happy with that now. Any recomendations for a bloody good standard wheel and hub that isnt on the crossmax budget?

onandon
    Free Member

Why use tubes in slr’s ?
    If you can find a replacement rim slr’s are very easy wheels to rebuild.

Mr-B
    Free Member

Tubes cause my LBS didnt convince me otherwise, is tubeless that good, surely the rim would split tube or tubeless. Any advice on where to get a replacement rim? Cheers.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Mavic uk.They will want to replace the spokes at the same time as the rim-not particularly cheap.

rickmeister

I had the very same… Its a bodge but it worked for a while. I superglued a small piece of rubber along the crack and it lasted another year running tubeless.

In all fairness to Mavic, my problem was overtightenng the valve causing the rim to deform around the valve hole.

Sorry, re read the following and its for UST valves…
    Did you fit the small O ring on the valve, outside the rim underneath the small locking nut? If not, did you overtighten the valve to try and get the thing to seal…. and I cant believe you ran these with a tube not UST…

I think your LBS need a chat…tbh… rubbish advice to run with a tube on that rim.

Get a cheaper mavic UST rim, keep the hub and spokes for spares. Take it apart and keep the spokes, they are valuable… Also, if its a rear wheel, keep the freehub again, for spares.

I bet that after three years of hard riding they are still running true and have been fuss free.. I wouldnt write them off as a wheel builder…

HTH

Northwind

FWIW, Mavic France were incredibly crap when I tried to deal with them, but Mavic UK balanced it out by being absolutely fantastic. Check in with them and see what they say and advise.

Mr-B
    Free Member

I like your post rickmeister, it makes sense. To be fair it has been trouble free riding and i do like the wheels and think i’d prob buy them again. Is tubeless that good then? I was told that the slime you put in them is heavier than a tube and if it does puncture then you gotta have a spare tyre with you to replace! I dont know anyone who runs tubeless so therefore havent been persuaded in any way and sometimes you just get stuck in your ways and stick with what you know.

gee
    Free Member

You’re going to be looking at around £175-200 for a rebuild. New spikes are essential as otherwise they become overly weak and prone to snapping if old spokes are used when rebuilding as the built in nipples tend to seize.

Northwind

Mr B – Member

I was told that the slime you put in them is heavier than a tube and if it does puncture then you gotta have a spare tyre with you to replace

It’s a good idea to carry a tube, aye… But it’s very rare that you’ll need to use it. I’ve had less punctures in 2 years of tubeless than I had in the month before I swapped.

As for the weight, it does depend, you can use minimal sealant especially in smaller tyres and only have about 60 grams of sealant and maybe 10g of valve- you can get lighter tubes, but only just, and they can be a bit delicate. Or you can fire a bit more sealant for more protection, but that’s still lighter than a durable tube

yan
    Free Member

Hi Mr B, just noticed your post, are you thinking of selling as Im after some spares?
    Cheers

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I had to order an SLR rim last year came from France and cost £120. Was quoted £135 from another shop. Is there still a UK MAvic service centre? I was told by shop it was closed and all run from France now?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Mavic Crossmax SLR Split Rim’ is closed to new replies.