Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Mavic Crossmax Freehub – Servicing
  • peteimpreza

As above, can it be done at home? Any online guides or exploded diagrams anywhere?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

easy enough to strip down, bearing one end, bushing the other

if the bushing is worn it's a new freehub body

bobbyspangles

if the bushing is worn down, buy a new one from ebay! freehub is simple to remove.
    -pull of non-drive side axle cap with pliers
    8mm hex wrench in non-drive side, 5mm in drive side the undo
    carefully!! remove freehub paying attention to the pawl springs that might spring out.
    -also do not lose the washer which is inside the freehub, this rests inside and between the freehub and axle.
    -clean freehub and pawls with rubbing alchohol the apply light oil to ratchets and pawls-dont go mad!
    if your cassette is wobbling on the freehub then the bushing will need to be replaced-look on ebay.
    -when ready to replace:place washer ontop of axle with a little grease, push pawls in and gently slide the freehub down and fit into place.
    -8mm,5mm hex wrenches again to tighten up. about 70nm, quite tight!

good luck

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member
    Albanach
    Free Member
    peteimpreza

Thanks everyone!

What about spares other than bushings/bearings? Readily available on ebay as well?

windydave13
    Free Member

Pretty much so. There's a dude in the states who does all manner of kits depending if you need a whole new freehub or just the bushing. Try this link to his listings: http://shop.ebay.co.uk/jbosboom/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

I recently stripped mine down and i have to say it was very simple. Just keep an eye on the pawls so they don;t spring away into the distance. Also everyone recomends a certain oil to re-lube. I think it's Pedros Road Rage Lube which cost about £2 from CRC.

The other thing to watch out for is the bearing in the freehub itself. I though mine was fine but after rebuilding i found that it sounded like i had a twig in the spokes when i rode. At first i thought some of the spokes were loose but my LBS tracked it down to the bearing in the freehub itself. They pressed a new one in and its good as new.

Hope it helps

Regards
    Dave

peteimpreza

Cheers Dave

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Mavic Crossmax Freehub – Servicing’ is closed to new replies.