Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Mavic clothing – sizing?
  • ashfanman
    Free Member

Evening all. Looking at a Mavic jacket and prefer not to buy clothing online, but struggling to find any local stockists. How does their stuff size up?

I’m a large in most other brands (Rab, Haglofs, etc), but I gather the Mavic stuff is tighter fitting – will I need to go a size up? I also often struggle with sleeve length as I’m very tall – how do Mavic usually do on this front?

Thanks.

jam-bo

Didn’t fit me well. Too narrow across my shoulders. Wore a couple of times and sold it.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

Hard to say for you, but I am sort of the opposite of you. Just a smidge under 5,9. I am usually a small to medium in any cycling jacket but the mavic stuff is just crazy. I can just get into a large, very tight across the back and shoulders, and then the arms are dragging on the floor. And before anyone says, no I’m not really a total porker. I’m about 7 pounds over weight, 33 inch waist, so hardly a big bloater.

If you’re about 6’1 or 6’2 and very skinny the large should be okay. If you’re much taller than that, or aren’t extremely skinny then go up another size or two.

rickon
    Free Member

So… depends on the jacket.

I’ve have a Mavic HC H20 waterproof, and it fits me like a glove, like a glove. I couldn’t really wear it to walk in, as it fits me so close it only works on the bike, which is why I love it.

I’m a medium in their sizing, usually a small medium in most brands. I’m 11 stone, 6 foot and athletic in shape.

The cut is short and technical, so if you want something that fits you like a normal jacket, then look elsewhere.

But… if you’re after something that fits like a Assos or Castelli road jersey should then they’re ace.

For me, they’re made for athletic builds – and if you’re not, I think it just wouldn’t fit or look right.

On another note, I’m a medium in Rab gear – but could go small, and Haglofs medium too.

ashfanman
    Free Member

I’m 6’5 and very slim but quite broad. Usually around 13 stone, depending on training.

Definitely looking for something closer fitting and like the sound of the arms being long. Rickon – how do you find the sleeve length?

Sounds like I’ll need either a large or XL.

MrSmith
    Free Member

If you want sleeve length then pear Izumi.
    Recently did a lot of soft shell trying on in shops mostly assos, Izumi, castelli, mavic etc and the izumis had really long sleeves. Can’t help with the mavic except I remember the sizing was really odd so I dismissed them (I’m a 6ft racing snake that doesnt race)
    Went with the castelli in the end, expensive but the fit and details were perfect for me. I did buy but then return an Izumi as it was a bit baggy in the upper arm but should fit those with more up top than me.

mooman
    Free Member

Mavic clothing are international sizing. So that generally means a size down from UK sizing.
    5’8″ and 11stone and a mavic sized large jersey fits very tight.

rickon
    Free Member

Yes – they have 3 types of size listed, which is as Mooman says:

So for one garment, the size could be:

‘L (int) M (UK/USA/DE) XL (J)’

My medium is a Large (int).

IF that helps. So, yes – one size up from the INT size is what you want, just make sure thats the one they’ve listed.

Arms – are perfect for me, just long enough to cover my hands if I wanted, and the cuffs are brill.

In terms of quality and durability, it’s the best cycling jacket I’ve had. It still looks new, and is still fully waterproof. I’d buy another if I lost this one.

ashfanman
    Free Member

‘L (int) M (UK/USA/DE) XL (J)’

😯

I just found a relatively local shop that sell Mavic stuff. They don’t have the one I’m looking at, but they do have some others in stock so at least I can get a feel for sizing.

Thanks all.

ashfanman
    Free Member

Just tried a on a few that are apparently the same cut as the one I’m looking at. Turns out I’m between an XL and XXL! (In Mavic’s ‘international’ sizes. So that’s a L and XL in UK.)

The XL fitted well in the chest and shoulders but was a bit short in the body and sleeves, whereas the XXL was slightly looser around the chest and shoulders but perfect length in the sleeves and body. Think the latter is a better bet, but I reckon I’ll wait until I can find the exact model to try on.

djflexure

I’m 6ft, 14st, broad and slim. Wear large in everything – gore, assos, montane. Just went by the measurement chart which was accurate. Ended up with int large (which is apparently uk medium) and its perfect. At 6 5 cant imagine the arms would do you but the one up might be ok.
    EDIT: I see you have tried it on.

ashfanman
    Free Member

I’m 6ft, 14st, broad and slim. Ended up with int large

You’re 6ft, 14st and ended up with int large? How on earth did I end up between XL and XXL at 6’5 and 13st? There’s no way I would have got a large on around my chest or shoulders… Seems Mavic sizing is pretty strange!

matther01
    Free Member

Not sure about tops but my shorts are medium UK and they are quite big on my 33 inch waist!

djflexure

Its all pretty fitted, but 34″ waist and 40″ chest is what it says. Perhaps you have hollow bones?
    Agreed the bibtights are roomy for a given size, and plenty long enough.
    If you do find your fit its been good so far this winter. Worn the inferno jacket for 2-3 months now with just a base underneath. Found I accumulate sweat much less than I did in some other jackets.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Mavic clothing – sizing?’ is closed to new replies.