Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Mavic charge on front, what on the back?
  • didgerman
    Free Member

Sorry for the zillionth tyre question.
    What do you think? Apparently mavics own rear tyre isn’t much cop, looking for some grip in mud, rocks and roots. Very little fast rolling ground on the usual ride.
    Magic mary?
    Must be 27.5…
    Cheers

didgerman
    Free Member

Nobody knows? It’s all too euro?

chakaping
    Free Member

New Maxxis Minion DHR 2 is getting a lot of love.

Tread pattern looks v promising but not tried them myself yet.

tmb467
    Free Member

Currently running Charge upfront and a HR2 TLR 3C on the back

All good for me really.

Had the Roam for a few months – great in the dry. Like soap in anything damp

didgerman
    Free Member

Cheers chaps, will have a look. Much muchlies.

shredder
    Free Member

Spesh Purg grid done

justinbieber

I’m quite enjoying the Roam on the rear. Yes it slides, but it’s good fun when it does.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

+1 for HR 2 also have new 3c minion on front very good combo for the now wet lakes weather

mountainmankyle
    Free Member

Hey north country boy I will pay £130 as requested for those wheels how do I get you the money I could also negotiate as well

zero-cool
    Free Member

The Mavic tyres are great. If you look at all the pictures of Mavic sponsored riders’ bikes after Enduro races the bikes are a bit grubby but the tyres look as good as new. If you didn’t know better you could almost say that they weren’t even ridden in the race, like they’ve just been fitted

simonside
    Free Member

Happy with Bontrager XR4s sorry they arent endurellow, and you dont have to buy a set of wheels either they are available seperately..

didgerman
    Free Member

thanks again

jk1980
    Free Member

Apologies for the thread highjack, I’ve also just bought a mavic charge for the front and wanted to clarify a question for the back.

I see a lot of people recommend a HR 2 for the back for this time of year. This surprises me a bit, I thought the HR was a summer tyre. Anyway I’m going to give the HR 2 a go (tubeless) so I guess ideally that would probably be an EXO?

I currently have a minion DHR 2.35 single ply on the back and they do come up quite small. Is the 2.4 HR 2 EXO too wide for a back tyre, or is that what most people are using when it comes to HR 2s?

duir
    Free Member

If you are thinking High roller or Minion rear then why not just use another Charge on the rear like Enduro pop stars do when not posing for post race Mavic poster campaign?

didgerman
    Free Member

It’s a good point, why not use one front and rear, but they’re built for front specific, so I guess there’s a better option, just maybe not if you’re sponsored by mavic.
    I’d go for the Michelin mud thing now, ust as well…

jk1980
    Free Member

Thanks – didn’t want a charge on the back as I’d heard its front specific. And I’d probably avoid a mud specific tyre as I’m looking for an all rounder, hence considering the HR2.

So how wide is the 2.4 HR2, too wide for a rear tyre? I ask as I know a 2.35 minion for example is skinnier than 2.35. But I don’t know if its the same principle for an EXO 2.4 HR2

chakaping
    Free Member

But I don’t know if its the same principle for an EXO 2.4 HR2

That one’s a big tyre, too draggy for the rear when I tried it TBH.

Went back to a Smorgasbord then to a Purgatory myself – and Hans Dampf supergravity is next on the list (for a bit of extra security).

chiefgrooveguru

http://www.reifenbreiten-datenbank.de

The new Maxxis tyres are all closer to correct size (ie bigger) than the old ones. Conveniently the new Minion DHF are also the new sizing, so a 2.3 is bigger than an old 2.35 – brilliant…

I really rate the Continental Trail King Protection 2.2 as a rear tyre – works for me all year round being ridden in an enduro stylee (pedal to the top, pin it to the bottom, repeat for hours).

duir
    Free Member

but they’re built for front specific

I wouldn’t worry about that, don’t forget that the Minion DHF is “Front specific” but is in fact one of the best all round tyres front or rear. The High rollers are for either too. I have tried the Minion DHR but that was a disappointment to me, it felt like it would only really work in the dry at the perfect psi and didn’t have any less drag than the DHF.

The fact is that there are lots of superb front tyres but rear tyres are either too heavy (don’t puncture or rip), too draggy (good grip) or pish grip, puncture and rip (everything else). Choose one.

ninfan
    Free Member

Aware of a few people running the charge on both ends, seems to be a lot better than the roam.

didgerman
    Free Member

It’s true, tyres didn’t used to be specific ends, just front one way, reverse rotation for rear. I’m putting my charge back on the front soon, if it hooks up in the gloop I’ll maybe get another for the rear.

variflex
    Free Member

Im running the charge on front and back as earlier this year there wasnt much choice and my lbs wanted some test feedback as they hadnt sold many so I got 2 for the price of 1. Its fine on the back, more grip than a spec ground control but doesnt hold me back. If you didnt want another charge then I would recommend a spec purg as Im running that on my 29er and its fantastic, also cheap too.

jk1980
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for the comments, much appreciated, think I will avoid a 2.4 HR on the back

chiefgrooveguru

It’s true, tyres didn’t used to be specific ends, just front one way, reverse rotation for rear.

I’m rarely convinced by reverse rotation at the back – it gets you more traction when pedalling, at the expense of worse braking and more rolling resistance. Always run my back tyres the front way round.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Mavic charge on front, what on the back?’ is closed to new replies.