Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Mavic Aksium to Fulcrum Racing 3 – will I notice much difference?
  • davosaurusrex

Worth the £280 and keep the Mavics for winter? Also a PSA in that you can get the near identical Campag Zondas from Shinybikes for £236, shame I hate the spoke pattern on the rear wheel.

Going to take the Mavics off the bike tonight and weigh to see what the real world weight difference is

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Really world? Probably not.

davosaurusrex

Bump. Or what about another 50 quid for shimano rs81s?

davosaurusrex

That’ll teach me to start a topic that everyone’s bored of. Bah.

singletrackmind

DTSwiss 1455 ( actualy 1650 but still aceptable ) were on merlin at half price around the £250 mark . and i thought to myslef thats less than the equivalent weight Mavic and Fulcrum offering .

davosaurusrex

Saw them but thought the fulcrum 3s were between 1550 and 1600 real world for 280. Anyone know if the rs81s really are 1500g?

ackie
    Free Member

Campagnolo Zondas are the same but cheaper that Fulcrum racing 3s. Strip the stickers if you don’t like them!

davosaurusrex

I know, and you can get them for 240 from shiny bikes but the spoke pattern on the rear wheel offends my eyes.

joeegg
    Free Member

I went from Aksiums to RS80’s.A noticeable difference ? Yes.Quicker to pick up speed and overall feel a bit more sprightly.I do have some DT Swiss wheels that are the same weight as the Shimanos but don’t roll as well so weight isn’t everything.

chakaping
    Free Member
    davosaurusrex

Cheers Joe – worth the cost?

Thanks for that chakaping – that’s the zondas firmly ruled out!

crazybaboon

In your head, you’ll think its a great improvement, but really, no.
    I’ve wheels ranging from shimano r500s, Ultegras, hand built with open pros, fulcrum racing ones to zipp 404 Firecrest
    I can feel when I’ve got the zipps on, but probably because of the sound!
    I can tell the difference between tyres easier than wheels!
    Askiums are really good wheels for the cost/ weight

klunky
    Free Member

You will notice a massive difference to your riding if you go for fulcrum wheels.

The largest impact you will notice is when you require a spare part and discover that the importer does not support fulcrum very well and that manufacturer does not have the parts available. After 2 or 3 months of waiting for the part to arrive and not being able to ride you will wish you had Mavics.

davosaurusrex

Would keep the mavics as spares/winters. But maybe I’ll just save the loot

edhornby

stick with the mavics

buy some lightweight tubes (either the race butyl or latex)
    buy some summer tyres like vittoria evo corsa or veloflex

keep the cheap tubes/tyres for winter

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Mavic Aksium to Fulcrum Racing 3 – will I notice much difference?’ is closed to new replies.