Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Mavic 819 UST – valve, sealant set up help
  • woodsman
    Free Member

I've got the valve kit with rim, kind of think I know in which order the 'o' rings and presta valve wedge go, can't seem to find any set up info on their site. Would rather get it right before I cover myself in, and waste the sealant. Any tips on which sealent and 'how to' appreciated as well.

ta

CountZero

The o-ring sits in the groove at the base of the valve, valve goes in hole, gnurled ring screws onto valve seating it tightly into the well of the rim. Simples. Sealant? I make my own, to a recipe I got from this very site six years ago, when I bought all the ingredients. I've only had to replenish one in that time.
    This will do one wheel.
    Tbl spoon Slime
    Tbl spoon Art Latex
    Tbl spoon concentrated windscreen washer liquid
    1/4 cup water
    mix well, put into tyre
    Repeat
    I've only had to buy one new bottle of Slime, and the old one I use for filling duties; I poured one lot of mix in, marked the bottle, then added the second lot. Got some clear plastic tube, heated the end and forced it onto the bottle nozzle, then heated the other end and shoved it onto the valve. Now I just mix up two lots, fill the bottle and squeeze until I get to the line, then do the next tyre. I use disposable drinks cups to mix in. If the bike is ridden regularly, then the mix will probably last several months, but it settles and hardens if the bike is just left for longish periods. Just put a new tyre on my Inbred, a Bonty, and the old one had just started to leak air, and the mix had all but disappeared, and I honestly can't remember when I last put any in, it must be months ago. It works really well, sealing cuts up to 3mm, as well as thorn holes.

woodsman
    Free Member

That simple eh! Lots of other parts in the bag!?

Thanks for the recipe for sealant, but by the time I've sourced all that I could have bought a bottle of DT Sealant for 9.99.

Any more experience with the 819 tubeless set up?

ta

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Not sure what the other bits are woodsman. As CZ says it's just the valve itself, the O-ring and the lockring.

As for sealant I've got away without it pretty well for a couple of years but I only run UST tyres, not ghetto or "tubeless ready". The only punctures I've had have been big slashes through the tyres from rocks which I don't imagine any sealant could cope with. Then again there aren't a lot of thorns in the Peak so it depends where you ride.

woodsman
    Free Member

I guess the other bits are, spare 'o' rings and schraider valve bits. Thats good, I plan to run a UST tire, but will put in some sealant for good measure. Probably doing a race next weekend – Big Dog at Brighton. Lot's of thorns in the south!

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Yeah could be an adaptor to allow you to use a Schraeder airline to inflate through the Presta valve?

IME the lockring should be just finger tight – much more than that and you can damage the O-ring – perhaps why the provide spares although I suppose they might perish over time as well

woodsman
    Free Member

It's all making sense now James, yep it must be as adaptor as it has a screw thread on the inside, which fits over the presta. I have a compressor at work so that's cool!

Shame they didn't provide any info with the rim, the shop could have binned that when they built my wheel I guess.

scruff
    Free Member

You get a little packet with destructions with the rim, shop will have binned it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Mavic 819 UST – valve, sealant set up help’ is closed to new replies.