Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Mavic 29er wheel deal…worth it/are they made of cheese?
  • lehutch
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mavic-crossmax-xl-mtb-wheelset-2015/rp-prod141532?utm_source=customer-emails&utm_medium=stock-email&utm_campaign=backinstock

Spoke issues aside I like the look of these, any opinions…? Other choice for me is Stans Arches + DT Swiss 240 hubs – but will cost me much more than the mavics…

lehutch
    Free Member

I’m OK with the non standard spokes by the way…I don’t tend to smash it while I ride so have never broken a spoke

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Personally I really like Mavic factory wheel sets. They’re all beautifully made, easy to work on and get parts for and pretty reliable.
    That said, I wouldn’t use any factory wheel set myself because a) price b) odd parts c) I build my own wheels.
    Stans rims aren’t all that in my opinion. They’re light, sure, and expensive, but not as tough as Mavic rims IME. I’d have the DT hubs with Mavic rims on myself, which is exactly what I have in the garage at home. 🙂

lehutch
    Free Member

thanks Peter….the mavics are a good deal, like I said the arches/dt swiss combo is around £160 more….from what you are saying, either would be a good option…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Made of entirely proprietary parts, very much out for me.

Made snapped an axle in the hub and maybe a little more damage, the wheel is not economical to repair as the rim needs the mavic spokes so can’t swap the hub etc. etc.

That and getting spares is really hard and I think those were the ones that flexed on him. Ended up with Stans rims on a nice hope build.

coblck
    Free Member

I use these exact wheels on my 2016 stumpjumper fsr 29er. And can’t fault them even have a nice click when free wheeling if that’s your thing. Extremely easy to go tubeless and don’t need tape. Only been using 3 months mind but have been down a few red and black trails. Easy to change end caps as well. Maybe not the widest compared to the way wheels are going but 23mm wide with Spesh 2.3 tyres give a great profile.

nasher
    Free Member

I have them on my enduro 29er, Im a vuide in Molini and they are pntheir seco d 8 month season, I havent touched them, still true and no dings in the rim

lehutch
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I’m sold…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Mavic 29er wheel deal…worth it/are they made of cheese?’ is closed to new replies.