Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Mavericks
  • vinnyeh

With the frames available at bargain prices at the moment I'm thinking of getting one, probably an ML7/5 to try.
    Anybody who's owned or ridden them care to comment about the ride and handling? Is the design now old hat?
    I tend to ride alone, so not too bothered about sniggering from mates over it's looks.

mtbfix

URT? Proprietary shock? Questionable front mech mounting options? Head says no but those we have sold in the shop over the years have always looked really nice and the customers love the way they ride.

mtbmaff
    Free Member

I've got a ML7 , bought it off here and it's been the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden.

I can also agree with what's said about them being a great climbing bike, just flies up slopes.

But sometimes I look at mine and think its a little odd looking but I love it.

I also like the fact you can get in touch with the guys at Maverick, just email or phone them, they'll always

help you out. The mtbr forum is another good place to visit, loads of photos and a few folks off here lurking.

Matt.

myheadsashed

I had on when they first came out – loved it and the frame was £2500 so they're a bargain now great for long rides and the best climbing mtb I've owned

sheldona
    Free Member

I've had a 7.5 and now got a Durance, by far the best FS I've ridden. The rear shocks can be serviced at home just like the forks.

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

In axle path terms, it's the only "perfect" suspension system available.
    They ride brilliantly, but they're not the best looking package out there.
    I love the ride and the looks, but the mags generally overlook this brand.
    With no good reason IMO.

vinnyeh

Cheers, think I'm going to give the 7/5 a whirl- no Durances in my size, and while I like the idea of the ML8, it might be a bit overkill for most of my riding.

DJC
    Free Member

2 out of 4 bits of Maverick frame here, with the other 2 bought from someone keen enough on the suspension system to be switching to an ML7. As mentioned above, climbs great. I seem to be managing to enjoy this downhill too.

mboy
    Free Member

URT? Proprietary shock? Questionable front mech mounting options?

URT? No… It's a fully floating BB shell, which causes a perfectly linear axle path for the rear wheel, which really helps the suspension. They do stiffen VERY slightly when stood (it's about 7% iirc), but it's as good as un-noticable…

Front mech option is a roadie braze on triple. It's a bit heath robinson in its approach, but it works, and that's what counts! The proprietary shock likewise, it works and it's easy to service…

I've got a ML7 , bought it off here and it's been the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden.

I can also agree with what's said about them being a great climbing bike, just flies up slopes.

But sometimes I look at mine and think its a little odd looking but I love it.

I also like the fact you can get in touch with the guys at Maverick, just email or phone them, they'll always

help you out. The mtbr forum is another good place to visit, loads of photos and a few folks off here lurking.

Matt.

My sentiments exactly… And he bought my old one! 😉

Only reason I sold it was cos I bought a Durance to replace it.

One word of warning though, they do not suit all riding styles. If you like to really feel your suspension working away underneath you (ie. a bike that feels very active), the Maverick will feel a little odd to you. Also, they're quite long, which is brilliant for stability, but for super tight twisty trails they're probably an inch or more longer in the wheelbase than other similar travel bikes. Great for climbing though, and contrary to popular belief, they descend just as well as they climb!

Their looks are definitely Marmite though, you either love them or hate them…

Here's mine…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Mavericks’ is closed to new replies.