Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Maverick ml8, Yeti 575, Foes XCT 5, which one? or alternatives?
  • hicksville
    Free Member

Hi looking at the maverick/575/foes xct 5 frames, for a all day trail bike that can have a fork with the min of 130 to max 160, weighs about 27 to 30lbs in the real world. if so anyone got one of the frames and if so what are they like? How do they climb and what do they weigh? What size frame are people riding? or are there any alternatives people would recommend? Where could I demo?
    Thanks

guido

I love my 575 and it would fit your req. it climbs well decends better, weighs 28IB can be a bit wallowy tho-but i found that a few PSI makes a huge diffrence in ride so play with that as well.
    I would demo them all if i were you – if you try a yeti go for a size below what you would normally have.

loddrik
    Free Member

I loved my 575 but found the rear a little too flexy as I am over 16st. Now got a Mav ML7/5 which is much stiffer at the rear and climbs like no other full sus bike I have ever ridden

oxnop
    Free Member

Pace rc405. I’ve tried everything. I don’t ride my other bikes much now!

mboy
    Free Member

I’d say it would totally depend upon your ride preferences, but if you’re after a long travel bike that climbs like no other, is lighter than just about everything else for its travel yet still very torsionally stiff, then get the Maverick.

I love my ML7, would love to change it for a new Durance if the budget allowed. The ML8 is basically more of the same. A pound heavier than the Durance, but another 1 1/2 inches of travel, yet climbs pretty much just as well.

Haven’t ridden a 575, but nice as they look I’ve heard a lot about them being quite flexy at the back. I’m also not convinced that they’d be that great a climbing bike due to the main pivot position being quite low.

Foes are nice, but generally very expensive and very heavy for their travel. You are unlikely to break one, and unlikely to see another on the trails, but I’d steer clear. Also, the Curnutt shocks (well the ones I’ve ridden) are pretty notchy.

Go for the ML8, there’s lots of bargains out there right now too. Can build with anything from a 140mm Pike or similar, through a Maverick DUC, right up to a Fox 36 etc. Also, Maverick owners back up is like no other. You have a problem, you send them an email, and Ethan (the guy that now owns Maverick) responds personally and usually within a few hours! VERY friendly bloke too, always happy to help out and dish out free advice.

hora
    Free Member

hicksville- Posted on a classifieds thread about your SL’s if still for sale?

sheldona
    Free Member

The Yeti backend is flexi compared with the Maverick and IMO the mav will outclimb all the others. I have the Maverick Durance which is just fantastic. It weighs in at around 24lbs to.

richc
    Free Member

a friend who has a Foes mentioned that the Carnutt shock needs a fair bit of riding to break it in, however once it is, its as plush as can be.

However its a bike that needs riding hard to get the most out of it.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Turner 5-spot or Orange 5?

sheldona
    Free Member

Not in the same league imo.

ajr
    Free Member

Ventana El Ciclon.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

sheldona – Member

A classic stw statement. Have you ridden the new Spots at length? Plus the Orange is a capable bike for anyone on this forum. (Except pro’s like you of course).

[stw nobber statement on]

Mav’s are just Expensive URT’s

[stw nobber statement off]

chakaping
    Free Member

Giant Reign, perhaps swapping standard 140mm fork for Talas 36.

I’m very pleased with mine.

si_brodiebikes
    Free Member

How about a Chumba XCL 😉

Super stiff 140mm bike, very versatile, can be used with a 160mm or 120mm fork.

See here for details http://www.progressive-bikes.co.uk

Bimbler
    Free Member

Oooo them chumbas are lovely

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Well having seen first hand what Rowan Sorrell does to his 5 (and how light it is), they’re a massively capable bike.

As a long term Turner owner, the customer service is fantastic (to the point of there being barely any other manufacturer I’d consider buying from), and the new DW versions seem to getting solidly positive reviews, and they’re supposed to climb better than either the HL or TNT versions.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Nothing is in the same league as Maverick apparently.

hicksville
    Free Member

Cheers for the comments so far, I have just sold a nicolai cc which i liked the suspension but hurt my back and neck due the shortish top tube and angles, I own a titus supermoto which I love climbs well and brill down but at 36/38 lbs after 4 or 5 hrs it wears me down a little, so given I will be riding some cat 1 road climbs in the pryennes it is just too burly but really looking for a similiar angles.
    I have owned a 5 spot and loved it but new too expensive and second hand well still mega expensive, plus I could get a new frame for what people are asking for second hand but they are a great bike, never got on with the oranges or most single pivots. I will put the foes on the backburner as i am a fit and forget person, I do not ant to be fussing all the time
    How do the mavericks size up? Chumba does look nice……Anyone ridden a Knolly?

sheldona
    Free Member

Having ridden most of the FS bikes mentioned above I can say that the Mav is in a different league to the others mentioned, climbing wise I should of added though. The Giant Meastro is quite close but not quite as good IME. Unlike most numpties on here I will only make informed statements about things like this not off the wall comments like some others.

hicksville the Mavs tend to come up quite large. I normally go for Large FS frames but have had 2 Med Mavericks which fit just right.

hicksville
    Free Member

sheldona how tall are you and what size mav are you riding?????

Hora I wasn’t selling a SL a nicolai yes but sold thanks

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

The comment about the curnutt’s feeling notchy is right – but only in the car park test – once the bike is on the trail you cant notice it.

Ive only owned two bikes with the old style 3:1 ratio curnutts (fly and fxr) and they are by far the best shocks ive ridden. The platform works better than any other platform ive used and way better than propedal shocks. They are very plush and very progressive and the adjustments make a noticeable difference.

I havent used the new 2:1 ratio shocks but they are meant to be even more active in the first part of the stroke and much plusher over small bumps.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

I’ve got a 575 and I can’t say that I find the back end flexy…..but i’m 10 and a half stone.It does climb incredibly well,especially rooty ,technical stuff.
    And for what it’s worth I think Orange 5 is in the same league.

sheldona
    Free Member

Hicksville, I’m about 6foot and fairly hefty :-0 riding a Med

Mu old 7.5

And the Durance

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

I ride with two groups,a relaxed Tuesday night gang and a more serious,(ie they’re quicker and don’t stop as much ) group on a Sunday. The Sunday group consists of Orange 5s,575s,assorted hardtails and a Maverick. We all get around pretty much the same.
    I think any of your shortlist will be just fine.

mboy
    Free Member

Having ridden most of the FS bikes mentioned above I can say that the Mav is in a different league to the others mentioned, climbing wise I should of added though. The Giant Meastro is quite close but not quite as good IME. Unlike most numpties on here I will only make informed statements about things like this not off the wall comments like some others.

What sheldona says.

I’ve owned many different full sus bikes, ridden a whole lot more, and can wholeheartedly agree.

No other FS bike climbs as well as a Maverick, whether sat in the saddle or out of it honking like a trooper! I currently own an ML7.2 which is awesome, wouldn’t replace it with anything except a new Durance. I also own a Giant Reign, which for its size and weight climbs brilliantly, but having ridden a Trance as well, the Maestro is a damned good suspension system but it doesn’t climb quite as well as the Maverick Monolink. Of course the Giant Maestro system is still fully active when stood up though (Maverick stiffens a bit, only by about 8 or 10% though, nothing like as much as an old URT does).

Other suspension systems don’t come close in my opinion for a longish travel, allround XC/All mountain full sus bike. I’m talking about a combination of climbing ability, descending ability, stiffness, lightweight, lack of pedal feedback etc. Of course bikes like the Orange 5 are plenty capable, and some people prefer single pivot too, but for me the Maverick beats everything else, with the Giant Maestro system coming a close second (I’m yet to ride a DW Link bike, but imagine the new Turners will be pretty damned good if a little overpriced).

FWIW, I’m 5ft 11 and my Maverick is a Medium. Maverick have changed their sizing a tiny bit though over the years, my 2004 frame is a tiny bit bigger than a current Medium is. We’re talking a fraction of an inch in length, and about an inch on the seatpost, so nothing really. If you’re about the same height as me, I’d try both the Medium and a Large, as Maverick reccomend a Large if you’re 6ft or near enough. I’ve got a shortish torso for my height though, so prefer a shorter bike so would still ride a Medium in the new sizing anyway. But it’s worth trying both if you can.

hora
    Free Member

Hicksvillle – Marzocchi AM forks I meant! I own a Chumba XCL Racing frame- still in the getting to know you stage. It feel like it needs longer forks than my Pikes.

I’d recommend looking at the Heckler, old school but still. Another one (although heavy)- Merlin are doing’ the new Commencal Meta 5 with 09 Revelations for 1k at the moment.

mboy
    Free Member

Lots more nice Mavericks here by the way…

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=247601

loddrik
    Free Member

I have a large and am 6ft. I like a stretched out cockpit. You have to be careful with mavs as if you buy one on the bigger size, due to the unusual seat tube angle, it can be difficult to get the seat far forward enough. Though I have mine as far back as it will go as the suspension is more active the further back you are.

hicksville
    Free Member

Thanks Sheldona and all the maverick owners,seems what I am after to be honest just worried over the sizing issue I am 5ft 11 &1/2 or on a good day/ego day 6ft I have shrunk with age and injuries, so right on the border of most bikes. The Nicolai did not help my injury, just could not get comfy. Last year i had a ellsworth moment in medium which was great only sold it because I was not able to ride for a few months. have a 18inch/med Litespeed but the large Supermoto which are more or less the same size. I had a large Trance for the summer great bike but just a tad too big. Do you know if there are any demo bikes in the North of England? Ideally N/W or Yorks?

Hora apologies yes the Maz SLs are sold but pending payment.Did you not have a SC Blur LT or 4x what was that like?

sofaking
    Free Member

Another vote for maverick here, had an ml8 since they 1st came out and it handles everything.
    it really does climb amazingly and its not too bad going down either

TheSwede
    Free Member

sheldona – Member

Hicksville, I’m about 6foot and fairly hefty :-0 riding a Med

Cough 5 9″ and fat.

forgotmename
    Free Member

Hello, Have you thought about a common or garden variety? I have a couple of boutique type bikes, but also have a massed produced shjtter, a trek ex9 which is fantastic all round,light, and a good buy, with a good spec, im 15stone and 5.11, im on a 18.5 with a 70mm stem, it looks tiny underneath me tho, it pedals very well even without the propedal on,if any thing goes wrong, the backup is second to none, and its not a urt! You could also get a demo bike quite easily id imagine.

hora
    Free Member

Hora apologies yes the Maz SLs are sold but pending payment.Did you not have a SC Blur LT or 4x what was that like?

If it falls through- let me know. Those would be perfect and I could collect- your in the Nwest?

I had a Blur 4x. On the first ride on a Blur 4x I rode down a rollin for the first time in years (where I had hurt myself previously). On the flipside I really didnt like how it reacted when you stood up and pedalled over rough stuff. It pedalled better (to me) when seated. SC have changed some aspects of the VPP system for 2009 though?

hora
    Free Member

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/blur-lt-08-31093

Significant changes to the VPP suspension (reducing its more radical leverage and chain growth character) produce a more neutral, rounded ride.

It still kicks hard under power for real launch out of corners or crux climbing moves, and it’s no wet blanket, but it’s definitely softer over the small stuff. There’s a more fluid and consistent rear wheel connection to the trail.

While it still gobbles up rocks, roots and other square-edged momentum-sappers without pausing, there’s no hint of excess wallow or over-travel in the centre of the stroke. It also feels fine in the granny ring – a previous no-go area for VPP bikes.

hicksville
    Free Member

cheers

hicksville
    Free Member

hora what is the chumba xcl like??????

doug_basqueMTB.com

are you based anywhere near scotland? or fancy a holiday? maverick were at the last Laggan demo day I went to, can’t remember if yeti was and foes definitely wasn’t but you might get to test at least one of them on some pretty fine terrain.

It’s a great day out too.

veedubba

Ooh, ooh, buy my ML7/5! It’s lovely but I’m a pleb and don’t appreciate it.

DezB
    Free Member

I reckon this kind of question is great for getting a list of possible bikes. The only way to decide is to demo though.
    I demo’d tons before deciding on the 575 and after over 2 years, I don’t think I could’ve made a better decision.
    I would’nt’ve demod a Maverick though – 1. Too expensive, 2. Fugly.

GreenRoom
    Free Member

Another vote for the 575 here. Climbs like a dream, descends even better. As others have said, slightly flexy back end but doesn’t detract. Didn’t think the orange was in quite the same league. Can’t comment on the mavs- never ridden one. For what its worth I live in Cumbria and like to ride big rocky ups and downs.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Maverick ml8, Yeti 575, Foes XCT 5, which one? or alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.