Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Maverick ML7/5
  • loddrik
    Free Member

I just bought an ML7/5 frame, the reviews are all excellent, has anyone got any experience with them? Would be intererested in your thoughts..

vinnie110
    Free Member

I love my Maverick. had an ML7 for a while and then Tim @ Sideways wanted it back (sentimental reasons, it was the first in and was in all the mag reviews) so did a swap for the ML7/5 with DUC32.

Don’t ride it as much as I should round here as I have SingleSpeed and hardtail with Duo chainset.

tandemjeremy.com
    Free Member

They are rubbish.

You will hate it.

Get a refund. Sale of Goods Act blah blah blah.

Stoner
    Free Member

once you’ve got past the fact that they are the ugliest bikes in christendom, I gather they’re OK…just ask Sheldon “gopping bike” Attwood! 🙂

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Isn’t a good idea to find out if a bike is a duffer before you buy 😉

loddrik
    Free Member

I already said that the reviews are excellent….

myheadsashed

I gave mine away……

chuffnuts

I generally liked mine except the suspension stiffening when out of the saddle on technical sections, that’s where I want it working most. So had to go.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Souns like an i-drive then. Is a Mav just an URT then?

loddrik
    Free Member

I generally stay seated most of the time anyways which is why I went for it, and why I am selling the ti hardtail

mtbtomo
    Free Member

URT the bottom bracket is in the swing arm, so you’re stood on the swing arm. With Maverick you’re stood on an intermediate link between swing arm and main frame. Its inevitable it will stiffen up when stood up, but it depends how close the bottom bracket is to the swingarm as to how much it stiffens.

JohnB
    Free Member

I have had a ML7.5 for 3 years and love it. Every time I ride it it stuns me.

It has suspension action but puts the power down effeciently with no bob. It does this without a fancy shock (most suspension bikes need shocks with masses of low speed compression damping, Colin Chapman once said you can make any suspension work if you dont let it work……) The grip is amazing. In granny gear climbs it just keeps going.

The frame is one of the most structurally effecient I have seen, with major loads going into tube junctions and not the middle of tubes. The deisgn is a simple triangle which is why it is so light.

My experience of Maverick customer service has been fantastic.

A friend rode it and was stunned. He had researched bikes and tried many but had never heard on Maverick. He tried mine and wondered why it was not in all the magazines as the perfect bike.

The bent seat tube and excessive layback of the seat tube (use a lay back point forwards…) are compromises. I also dont like the integrated head set because I cant fit a Chris King.

People mention about the suspension stiffening when you stand. It does but only slightly. This is due to the angle of the link and the position of the bottom bracket in relation to the rear pivot. The leverage is quite small. I actually think the suspension stiffening slightly is a good thing as when you are standing the legs can take the slight increase in bumps. However you will soon realise you can just sit down and pedal over stuff with fantastic traction.

The other thing you will have to put up with is doubters who cant believe or dont want to believe the bikes are so good. Ignore them, enjoy the ride and welcome to Maverick.

loddrik
    Free Member

Anyone know what front mech I will need and what size seatpost?

JohnB
    Free Member

Seat post is 30.8mm dia. I have a straight 420mm Thompson post for sale. £30 plus post. It came out of my Maverick.

A variety of front mechs can be used. Recommended and what I use with no problems is Shimano R773 Flat bar triple. There are a few available but I cant remember which one I bought (as a spare) but sure its easy to work out.

Merlinman

I think you’ll find the seat post is 30.9 on the ML-7/5

FOG

I too have been thinking about one of these but have been put off by having to get yet another new wheel if I run Maverick forks. I have collected enough kit to build up a frame except for that wheel. Can you buy ready builts with the maverick axle or are you going to have to buy a hub and get it built up?

JohnB
    Free Member

Sorry yes the seat tube is 30.9mm , just checked my manual. What ever the seat tube came out of the ML7.5 so fits.

loddrik
    Free Member

Did someone say they have an integrated headset?

JohnB
    Free Member

Yep integrated head set, have to use an internal 42mm Campagnola standard bearing, available from FSA and Cane Creek. I used a Cane Creek, best I could get and it needed stripping, cleaning and re greasing after 3 months, quite a shock when I am used to a fit and forget King.

I must contact Hope and see if they do one.

sodandy
    Free Member

You will be able to climb like never before! and decends great too. Superb frame.

FOG – Why not use any other fork? Nice Fox 32 would be a great match.

vinnie
    Free Member

I too have been thinking about one of these but have been put off by having to get yet another new wheel if I run Maverick forks. I have collected enough kit to build up a frame except for that wheel. Can you buy ready builts with the maverick axle or are you going to have to buy a hub and get it built up?

Any shop who will sell you the hub will build it as a wheel. You could try Tim at Sideways Cycles If you keep an eye on there site they sometimes have ex demo ML7 or ML8’s for sale.

I love my DUC32’s but there is nothing stopping you from putting another fork on.

So far the ML7 is the best full sus I have ridden. In my years I’ve had a few starting with a AMP Amplifier, some Proflex’s, Rocky Mountain ETSX, Santa Cruz Superlight and Blur for the last 4-5 years I guess I have owned a Maverick ML7 then ML7/5.

To me that speaks volumes. Some people change bikes like clothes, its what is in Vogue at the moment. I still ride an early OCVL it must be 12 years old or so now but why get rid the only benefit would be running disks front and rear.

You have a great bike look after it and it will serve you for many years.

barney
    Free Member

RE the Maverick wheel

Don’t forget that Hope ProIIs (or whatever they’re called) have a Maverick axle you can buy for them. If you’re converting an existing wheel, you’ll have to get the dish taken out of the wheel, but it’s no problem, really 🙂

JohnB
    Free Member

Just be careful using the Hope “maverick” hub. Read this post first. Ethan F who posts works for Maverick. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=472951

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Maverick ML7/5’ is closed to new replies.