Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Maverick 24/7 Hub Servicing Help
  • BigJohn

I’ve got the bearings (from Kaesae, no less) and I’ve downloaded the instructions from the website.

Step 2, remove non-disc side flange. So I removed the seal and found a flange that had been treated to a bit of loving percussive maintenance. Caressed with a Birmingham screwdriver. It looked like a boxer’s ear, and it certainly wasn’t moving.

Questions: How does it come off? Is it standard thread or is it left handed? Are there any pins etc to remove first. The instructions say use a 32mm headset spanner. I’ve got one but it wasn’t touching it.

And has anybody got a spare replacement? As when this one does come off, I don’t think it’s going to be in a fit state to go back on again.

I’ll probably give Tim at Sideways a call, he’s bound to have something lying about, but just in case…all offers and advice welcome.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Just had a look at t’wife’s hub. Once you pull off the outer plastic sleeve, the disc side bearing cover comes off the normal way (ie anticlockwise to remove) and should have some spanner flats on it for a 32mm spanner but the flats are only 2mm deep. Good sharp edged (machined not just cast) spanner would be advisable but perhaps the previous owner mashed yours up with the wrong size or a cheap adjustable wrench. Or cross-threaded it reinstalling, and mashed it trying to force it round? Threads are a nice fine pitch.

That said this bit was not too hard to remove: it has an o-ring st in between the threads which accounts for the resistance in unscrewing it and also means when cleaned and regreased you shouldn’t need to do it up too tightly again: o-ring seems to be for ‘not rattling undone’ rather than any sort of sealing. I would get some molgrips or a stilson wrench on it and then file some useable spanner flats back onto it before refitting. (but I am a cheapskate!)

(Disc side also has a cover over the cartridge bearing that undoes anticlockwise as well, but circlip pliers or really fine pointed pin spanner to turn it this time.)

BigJohn

The disc side was just finger tight but the other side is starting to distort and still isn’t budging. Thanks for investigating though and answering the question.

BigJohn

Well I’ve spoken to Tim and he doesn’t have a spare flange so I’m hoping somebody here has got an old hub they don’t need.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Maverick 24/7 Hub Servicing Help’ is closed to new replies.