Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 128 total)
  • "Maurice" as a boys name…
  • skulldigger
    Free Member

Opinions please..
    We’re expecting baby 2 in the next few weeks. If it’s a boy the wife wants to call him maurice. I’m not so sure. I can only think of maurice green and maurice gibb to be graced by the title. We are avoiding popular /religious /modern names so it ticks those boxes.
    P’s child 1 is called Stanley. I like arthur if we have a boy but I know the wife will win.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Do you think he’ll be a joker?

Northwind

Perfectly good name for a rusty car or performing dog.

sc-xc

Depends how hard you want his life to be.

I guess you could balance it out with a middle name he can take when he’s old enough…

loddrik
    Free Member

grahamt1980

Could call him the space cowboy

senorj

How are you pronouncing it?
    Morris or mor-reese?
    Stanley is a great name ,tell her she can do better. 🙂

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Our #2 is called Morris. And yes, until he’s 18 he’ll be a minor

@ senorj, Morris Stanley to be precise!

martinhutch

Do you think he’ll be a joker?

More likely a midnight toker.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Reginald
    Frank
    Bert
    Humphrey
    Wallace
    Sidney
    Basically the name of the septuagenarian gentleman who sits in the corner of the pub smoking woodbines.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Or maybe a gangster of love?

maccruiskeen

We are avoiding popular /religious /modern names so it ticks those boxes.

You’d struggle to find a popular name to avoid. In my class at school we had about four or five Stephens, Marks, Andrews and Martins amongst the boys and more Julie, Joannes and Nicholas amongst the girls.

I worked on a project with a class of 40 primary children last year. Non of them had an unsusal name but no two of them had the shared the same name. The trend is to avoid popular names which means theres no name thats especially popular.

Our #2 is called Morris. And yes, until he’s 18 he’ll be a minor

There was a radio documentary about the workers from the Leyland/Rover plant trying to find new careers after the plant had closed and how difficult it was as many had gone straight into the factory from school so didn’t have the qualifications or CV to work in other fields of manufacture but they found that their experience was so particular to that production line they couldn’t get work elsewhere in the same industry. So they were all having to go back to square one and make new lives for themselves. One of them was called Morris Minor – talk about nominative determinism!

senorj

Morris Stanley is a great name too stabiliser . 🙂

RustySpanner

Morris is fine.
    A man with a name like that would always have a tidy shed.
    You could trust a Morris.

Maurice? Just no.
    I get the image of a Yorkshire Terrier humping a cushion.

Anyway, you’re right with Arthur.
    🙂

maccruiskeen

I think you should just call him Skulldigger.

matt_outandabout

William Maurice

All the girls will say it

thegreatape
    Free Member

Also the orangutan out of Planet of the Apes.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

For a forename, it’s Maurice (like my dad), Morris is a surname – get it right folks!!

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

For a forename, it’s Maurice (like my dad), Morris is a surname – get it right folks!!

Are you going to tell me that Mathews is my middle (and given) name or my surname (which is different)?
    OP, no reason not to go for it, don’t worry what others say. It’ll be shortened to Mo anyway.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Some parents just can’t get it right!

senorj

I’m putting the kettle on……

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Some parents just can’t get it right!

No, some parents decided that the family name was too good to give to the girls. 😆

jambalaya
    Free Member

Maurice. Unusual but why not ? Will probably be shortened to Mo or a nickname of Stir Fry from mow-rice ? My kids have fairly unusual names, nothing wrong with that.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

If I was named after animated dog I’d be more careful about criticising name choice 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What about Ichabod?

Or Adolf. That’s due a comeback, surely?

nostoc
    Free Member

I work with two Maurices. Seems a perfectly normal and OK name to me.

matt_outandabout

Anthony Cecil Hogmany is surely a winner?

One of the trustees at an old place of work had seven names 😆 the boss has them down to a tee, and the centre cats were Farquar and Ramsley in his honour….

olddonald

My personal favourite – Vercingetorix…wife was having none of it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

What about Ichabod?

Or Adolf. That’s due a comeback, surely?

Icabod is a cool name, thinking more a middle name though. Used to know a guy at Morgan Stanley called Adolf, what a strange life he must have.

skulldigger
    Free Member

The wife now thinks I’m shallow and spineless for asking the singletrack massif for opinions…

Mo as a nickname is a bit off putting..reminds me too much of that loon comedian Emo Phillips. Mo farah meh.

Pronounced maureece of course.

Let’s hope it’s a girl instead..

shermer75
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FnAV1XbfKE[/video]

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

🙄 😆

I know a Maurice, it is shortened to Mol, in his case…

I associate with America,…. MoReeece, wouldn’t be my choice

My choice for a boys name would be…Cabe. Please feel free to use that, I very much doubt i will.

mattsccm
    Free Member

As above. Maurice not Morris .
    Good compromise. Just too old fashioned in some ways so you will be seen as a bit trendy and clever but not totally stupid. Apparently Jaxon is popular. WTF that’s just some dimwit trying to be clever. Its doubtful if its a first name anyway but to spell it incorrectly 😯
    And no, I don’t think that kids should be called what ever the parents want.
    What’s wrong with Wallace? A first name in my dads family but Mum over powered that so it’s my middle name.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Let’s hope it’s a girl instead..

Called Bob. Obviously.

tomhoward

Worked out for this chap, err, sort of?

taxi25
    Free Member

A friend of my father was called Maurice. He was a great bloke very interesting and full of stories. He owned a Jaguar dealership and used to race cars as a hobby. This one in fact followed by a Ford GT40 !!!

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20934/lot/7/

skulldigger
    Free Member

Forgot about maurice micklewhite! Even though he’s just changed it..

The wife has countered my Internet research by asking the same question on some girlie forum somewhere. Her replies are far too serious. No mention of Steve Miller band, planet of the apes or German leaders….cultured are opinions on this site

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The wife has countered my Internet research by asking the same question on some girlie forum somewhere.

Step one – Provide us the link.
    Step two – We’ll work up a Number 6 on ’em.

chestrockwell

I think it’ll be fine. Most people these days seem to go for a name not associated with anyone else so he’ll be all right.

Many people tried to convince me not to call my boy Gabriel but I won, it suits him and everyone now agrees. 😉

StirlingCrispin

There were 17 Maurices registered in England / Wales last year – so he’ll not be alone:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/sep/02/top-baby-names-is-yours-on-the-up-or-on-the-way-out

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘"Maurice" as a boys name…’ is closed to new replies.