Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Mattocks
  • lyons
    Free Member

boring question, but how can i stop the head on my new mattock stop slipping down the handle? It is a wooden handle… Do i need to drive something into the top to expand the wood?

Cheers

squattingmouse
    Free Member

Yep – should be able to buy a wedge at any decent hardware store

Moses

Or put the wedge between the mattock blade ring and the wood. If you can't get to a hardware shop, make your own wedges

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Is it one of those B&Q ones you got? These ones are much better tools to use and last infinitely longer if you get the chance to get one instead.

lyons
    Free Member

the one i bought was from tool station. It seems to be preety good quality, but those azada's do look good. but they cost nearly twice as much…

swamp_boy

Try holding the end of the handle and dropping the head end onto hard ground a few times. Bit counter intuitive but it drives the head onto the taper harder.

Or leave the head end in water for a few hours – it makes the wood swell.

lyons
    Free Member

Yeah, i got it to stay on for a while by jumping up and down on the end, but it did come loose. I'll try the water approach when i go up the trails in a minute, then try to get a wedge long term…

colande
    Free Member

glasgowdan – Member
    …………. These ones are much better tools to use and last infinitely longer if you get the chance to get one instead.

thanks i've got one of these, must be at least 30-40 years old,
    my grandmother owned it originally,
    anyway the thing is i've never know what it was called,
    im gonna get me another
    all i need to know now is how to pronounce azada 😀

edit; oh yeah what swamp_boy said, it shouldn't need a wedge or shim

sharki
    Free Member

It's be coming loose if the taper is different on the shaft and head.

if possible trim so they're more alike, and the water trick works well, keep things moist and the head will remain stiffer on the shaft.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Mattocks’ is closed to new replies.