Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Matlock locals – your beer & curry recommendations please
  • rascal
    Free Member

Going on a stag weekend nearby soon – in the middle of nowhere.
    Matlock seems to be the local metropolis – def more happening there than Carsington anyway!
    Where’s good for beers and a good curry house?
    We’re generally not a rowdy bunch so shouldn’t attract TOO much attention!

Matlock Bath Balti is the best curry, but quite small, so best at Maazi for a group – still a good curry.

Matlock’s small and the pubs are shit, but it’s usually quite busy – avoid the Railway unless you like mixing with nobs on Mcat

woody21
    Free Member

The Thorntree is an excellent pub, but it is at the top of Matlock up Bank Road http://www.thorntreeatmatlock.co.uk/

The are plenty of Pubs in Matlock Bath – but the illuminations are on so it will be busy; the County and Station or the Fishpound are OK. There are plenty of curry houses, the Matlock Bath Balti (next to the County and Station) had a good reputation (I haven’t been there for years though) . There are a number of pubs in Wirkswoth which is close to Carsington

What date are you going? The Loft has a Manfords comedy night 1st Friday of every month

woody21
    Free Member

Avoid the Railway and ‘spoons in Matlock

2010 has guest ales and of the towny pubs – Monk Bar, just up the road from 2010 is the best. Thorntree is a cracking pub as said above and can’t be beaten on a summers eve – bit late for that…

Erm, there’s also a Wetherspoons….

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’d come to Belper from Carsington to be fair. Friday night is a good laugh.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Maazi does a nice curry.

Pubs wise the ones in town aren’t great. The Tavern in Tansley has been done up recently and is great.

Nearer you will be the Miners Arms in Carsington is nice. Saves going far and getting a taxi.

rascal
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies…on reflection, I’m happy to look at Ashbourne, Belper & even Wirksworth if there are good pubs not populated by drugged-up weapons. So long as there as 3-4 good boozers (if more, even better) and a decent curry house that would work – this would be the Saturday night
    Munrobiker – we’ll be in the Miners n Carsington on the Fri hence the trip out on Sat – cheers though!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Are you biking? Carsington/hopton was my home village as a kid. The pubs in Wirksworth are OK, depends what you’re after, age/group wise. I used to walk back to Hopton (next village) as a teen after a few beers in Wirksworth on a Friday night as taxis were non existent.

rascal
    Free Member

A few of us sre bikers but there’ll be no biking.
    Food & beers in Carsington Fri night…local walk Sat – the lash on Sat night.
    Age group on average would be 37 – I’m the oldest at 44 😳
    A few in mid-late 20s – 13 in total.
    The stag loves his real ales (me too) – a lively pub would be a good accompaniment to some old good fashioned ale house/boozers. A late curry is almost in the rule book too.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Depends if you want a quiet night on the lash or something a bit more lively. If the latter i’d head to Belper. Plenty of decent pubs and places to eat. I’ve only ever done beer in Belper, but i’d bet a significant part of my body it’ll have a half decent curry house.

Whenever we have a suitable excuse we get on the train, starting at Matlock and heading up to Derby stopping at almost every train station on the way, plenty of really really good pubs, ending up in Derby for a curry. there are a couple of really really good curry houses near Derby train station.

marcus
    Free Member

You can’t go wrong with a curry at the Elachi in Belper. George & dragon opposite the Elachi has ok beer and usually a band on at the weekends. Blank Bulls head is a bit out of town away from carssington but always had a few good beers. There is a newish real ale bar opened in town, but I’ve not been in there. ???

wrightyson
    Free Member

Matlock or belper then. Belper is a quieter night on the Saturday, with, in general, nicer folk out. Plenty of real ale and curry houses plus a couple of lively pubs that will be showing the rugby etc. In fact you could do a crawl round belper that would take in at least 7/8 pubs.

climbingkev
    Free Member

Sat in Moca now counting…. 7 guest ales, 7 lagers, 2 ciders, loads of bottles, spirits spirits selection of decent whiskeys etc. Moca and Monk are the best pubs in town, Thorntree and Sycamore a walk up the hill, also Stanley’s micro brewery at the Bank Rd/Smedly St crossing. Maazi is great, food in Fishpond in Matlock Bath was awful last week, never rated the Balti.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Matlock locals – your beer & curry recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.