Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Matlock area – any roadies in?
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

Hi

We’re spending a few days next week with family around Matlock Bath
    Ive ridden a little off road in the Peak but not on the road and so thought Id give some proper roadie hills a go 🙂

The thing is I dont know the local area too well and so all I have to go on is Strava
    Im looking for some decent 4-5km hills at 5-7% instead of the 1km knee killers like Winnats

My homework has lead me to come up with a couple of options which Ive plotted online if anyone would be kind and/or patient enough to give me the benefit of some local advice

Option 1
    This is my duff weather option as Id hoped it would be most likely gritted
    Thinking 2h to 2 1/2h in the cold
    It takes in Via Gelia and Beeley Moor
    Must be good dont you think, or not?

Option 2
    This was a total nightmare to dream up
    If the temps above freezing then the B-roads are definitely my preferred option and Id be happy to do a few more miles, thinking 3h to 3 1/2h
    With more ground to cover I havent a clue TBH but Eyam looks good for a climb and the views must be good mustnt they?

Any better ideas gladly received

Cheers

iamsporticus
    Free Member

bump!

Blackhound

They are not bad routes at all. Option one I often do from Derby, without the Cromford connector.
    Via Gellia is a mild gradient and Beeley Moor is a bit steeper.

Option 2 I know most of as well. Between Youlgreave and Over Haddon is a short steep climb, hope your breakfast has settled! After Ashford in the Water the road you are suggesting is just fine. I would be inclined to take the slightly further Western option up to Monsal Head along Ashford Lane. Bit more climbing though, not steep, just nice.

Loads of good roads around there, can’t go far wrong but avoid A6 if you can. Enjoy.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

What day are you thinking?

theteaboy
    Free Member

Both options look good.

The top Pindale climb heading SE from Castleton is good – longish, steep in sections but generally steady, good surface at the top. Downhill there are a couple of corners which make it very dangerous, but up is great.

You could link it to Abney, Hathersage, Hathersage Dale to Ringinglow Road, then Fox House and back down to Froggatt. Lovely!

Mam Nick from Edale is great too – and you get the Winnats descent as a reward…

rob-jackson
    Free Member

or the long flowing one into chapel and then long hill climb to buxton

theteaboy
    Free Member

That’s true Rob.

What’s the climb from the Chapel side of Peak Forest up towards Sparrowpit? I’ve never managed to find it and it’s supposed to be a killer.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

the one that goes up to the top of sparrowpit – looks bloody awful!! Would like to try it and may do on saturday 🙂

Richie_B

Via Gelia can be interesting for quarry wagons but is more interesting if you turn left up towards ryder point (or even more interesting if you turn immediately left again to Middleton by Wirksworth) or turn left to take the climb to Longcliffe (Going the other way from Fenny Bentley to Longcliffe is a long draggy climb but never too steep).
    The climbs from Northwood Lane in Darley Dale via Bent Lane to Beeley Moor is worthwhile as is Sydnope hill from Two Dales, although the latter tends to be spoilt by car/vans squeezing past.
    If people are suggesting Winnats the climbs from Matlock Green to Riber and from Rowsley to Beeley Moor are ‘interesting’ but probably not what your looking for (neither are good descents unless you have a death wish).

LS
    Free Member

Your duff weather route won’t be gritted from Beeley right along the tops to the A615 above Tansley (about 8 miles worth). It’s not a tiny road but it can be lethal when it’s icy.
    The Via is a nice steady drag but as mentioned above, if you do it during the week then quarry wagons can be an issue.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice
    Thinking boxing day so traffic not an issue although exact time really depends on when I can escape

Weather looking kind so I’ll check out some of Richies suggestions

MoreCashThanDash

Watch out for flooding around the valleys…..

richpips
    Free Member

What’s the climb from the Chapel side of Peak Forest up towards Sparrowpit? I’ve never managed to find it and it’s supposed to be a killer.

I’ve ridden down it a lot of times but never up it. I think if you had a spotter for traffic at the bottom you could do well over 50mph down it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Matlock area – any roadies in?’ is closed to new replies.