Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • maths problem
  • dangeourbrain
    Free Member

First things first, please excuse my maths, its been over a decade since I did trig and the like at school and, real world, I haven’t much cause to use them every day…

Second the problem –

I need to find the centre points [or rather distance between them] we’ll call them A & B of an ellipse.

I have a plan which shows me a section of the ellipse but the only further info I can get from the architect is that “he made it using the standard ellipse tool on CAD” he doesn’t know what I’m talking about when I ask for the distance AB let alone why I need it to form an extrusion that follows the edge of his ellipse.

The plan shows me two dimensions, in Cartesian terms, x and (y/2).

Question one) I’m making the assumption that the section of the shape shown is half of it, cut along a the axis x (so values of x range from –x max to +x max, and values of y are >0). Do I need to make this assumption – I’m of the belief if I don’t my solution will work out circular as that’s the simplest solution to the equations (i.e. AB=0)

Question two) so… using the above assumptions and substituting some conveniently round numbers when needed I reckon the following should be correct:

X = 11, (y/2) = 7 :. y=14

For calculation purposes I need to have the points (Xmin,0) (Xmax,0) (0,Ymin) and (0,Ymax), for simplicity C, D, E and F respectively

A is located at (0,<0) B at (0,>0)

Given y > x then A & B lie on axis x=0 :. y = AB+ AE + BF

AE=BF so…

y=AB+2AE=14

——-

Given the shape is an ellipse: AB+AC+BC=2(AB)+2(AE) or AC+BC=AB+2(AE)

Using Pythagoras and that given C lies on the axis y=0 and that A and B are equidistant from the same (hence the half an ellipse assumption):

AC = ((AB/2)2+(x/2)2)0.5 = BC

So substituting in to the above:

2*((AB/2)2+(x/2)2)0.5 = AB+2(AE) or 2*((AB2/4)+(x2/4))0.5 = AB+2(AE)

given y = AB+2AE we have 2*((AB2/4)+(x2/4))0.5 = y
    so square out to simplify:
    4*((AB2/4)+(x2/4)) = y2
    reduce
    (4AB2)/4+(4×2/4) = y2
    reduce
    AB2+x2 = y2 or AB2 = y2-x2

Insert values for y and x to get AB2 = 142 – 112 Solve AB = (142-112)0.5 = 8.66 (ish)

Now that I have AB and I know that for values at y= +or- 7 x = 0 and I can plot my ellipse such that A is found at (0,-4.33) and B at (0,4.33)

Is this right?

Is there a simpler more elegant solution or way of getting there that doesn’t involve me having to inflict physical violence on the architect?

Thanks

rendo
    Free Member
    rendo
    Free Member

centres would be, if i understand you correct, 8.5 from the axis.

also

did you add a diagram to your initial post?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Hi rendo,

No image I’m afraid as I’d have to upload it to else where then link and I haven’t a suitable service to upload to – I could sign up to Flickr or some such I guess.

The link however does help, the first section is what I’m after and confirms my working above thank you.

munkyboy
    Free Member

The architect is being a bit dumb as you can’t practically set out a true ellipse

Get the architect to draw it again using 2 or more part circles with centres placed on the preceding circles radius. This can be set out properly, will be close enough and everyone will be happy

This is what I had to do after setting out something with an ellipse and asking someone to build it….

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘maths problem’ is closed to new replies.