Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Maths gurus Quiz
  • duntstick
    Free Member

I told my boffin daughter that STW has all the answers, can anyone help me win the internetz? 🙂

An excavation of an early Upper Paleolithic cave site in France gave two samples of hominid skeletons: a sample of Homo Sapiens Sapiens (n1 = 20) and a sample of Homo Sapiens Neandertalis (n2 = 20).
    We are interested in establishing whether there is any significant difference between the cranial capacities of these two hominid species from this cave site.
    Let X1 = 1514.6 the sample mean of cranial capacities (cm3) for the Homo Sapiens Sapiens specimens, and X2 = 1553.4 for the Homo Sapiens Neadnertalis.
    Also, the sample standard deviation is s1 = 78.4 for the first and .s2 = 74.7 for the second group, respectively.

Q.
    If one rejected the null hypothesis when the absolute difference of the two is 45cm³ what is the probability of a type 1 error?

She’s been working at this for 5 hours apparently, and neither her or her friends have any idea.

duntstick
    Free Member

And it needs to be for a ‘t’ test not ‘z’ test……………

What language even is this?

scaredypants

standard errors ‘n’shit, innit ?

(that’s as far as my massive knowledge goes though)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    donncha

5%
    If we want to be 95% confidentr of rejecting the null hypothesis then there is a 5% chance we might make an error
    Means & SDs are irrelevant

scaredypants

Oh, maybe they’re supposed to shove the figures in using various “T” factors and see which one just gets it right ?

If the absolute difference is changed to 45, then at least one of the samples must have changed and so you couldn’t rely on the SDs or means

(I iz not a sassystishan)

scaredypants

donncha – they’d only know that it was (less than) 5% if they used the values of T corresponding to that confidence limit*. I’m sure it’s possible to calculate the actual CL, but not by me

*(he speculated)

duntstick
    Free Member

What about 45cm cubed bit, was the reply I just got, she managed the CL

donncha

from an on-line calculator:
    mean1 eq: 1514.6 (variance= 6146.56) (se= 17.5308)
    mean2 eq: 1553.4 (variance= 5580.09) (se= 16.7034)
    Probability that var1<var2
    p=0.41764 (left: 0.5824; double: 0.8352)
    Difference between means:
    M1-M2=1514.6-1553.4=-38.8
    sd=149.27; se=24.214
    95% CI of difference:
    -86.2593 <-38.8< 8.6593 (Wald)
    t-difference: -1.602
    df-t: 37.5; p= 0.05868
    (left p: 0.9413; two sided: 0.1174)
    Equal sd assumed
    Difference not significant at 5%

duntstick
    Free Member

By jove, I think you’ve done it, my Daughter now believes I am a genius and managed all this over a cup of tea and a digestive.

I will of course own up and give due credit after I have finished basking in the sunshine

Thanks guys

donncha

Dunstick
    What class is this for?

donncha

So what was the answer?

duntstick
    Free Member

Oh hang on, she reckons that online calculator is for a z test not a t, Donncha, 2nd yr Maths degree statistics

She got the ci as -17.72 and 95.32

duntstick
    Free Member

Does this make any sense?

duntstick
    Free Member

Apparently ‘Saying that the means and sds are irrelevant for a type 1 error’ was the crucial bit she was short of

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Maths gurus Quiz’ is closed to new replies.