Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Matching wheels…..does it really work ?
  • simonm
    Free Member

I’m in the NO Camp on this one… maybe contrasting wheels… or complementary but not same colour as frame…

bomberman
    Free Member

It’s a big fat NO from me, too

ziggy
    Free Member

Yeah not sure either

Matching the swingarm colour to the forks would help

Or leave the rims alone and have the forks colour matched to the frame

MrNutt
    Free Member

black swing arm would make it work

theboatman
    Free Member

guess it depends on the colour, there are a fair few black frame/ black rim combo’s out there and that’s pretty much accepted as looking good.

naokfreek
    Free Member

I is on the fence….. they’ll only chip anyhow.

craig1975
    Free Member

I Like

jarl
    Free Member

I reckon they should stick a silver rim on the back 😛

colnagokid

Its a bit much, Im with Ziggy maybe a silver swingarm would balence it out a bit, and maybe a silver/grey saddle

simonm
    Free Member

I think you can have too much of one colour….my Alpine looks like this with HD rims on…

midlifecrashes

Nicest bike I’ve seen on here, Swiftacular’s perfect Chameleon for his wife.

MrNutt
    Free Member

simonm thats one tasty bike!

how does it ride? like a five? like a Patriot? Like a bit of both?

now you’ve just gotta find some green pedals!

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Green and white is the way (although I have to be careful saying that being a Weegie 😉 )

chunkypaul
    Free Member

guilty!

simonm
    Free Member

The Alpine rides like a DH bike down… and a 5 when going up… I really think I’ve finally found a bike to do all that I ride. Its setup with DH Bars, short stem, low stack height.

That Chameleon is amazing !

Oggles
    Free Member

Oh hells yeah.

Chunkypaul’s definitely works, very subtle. Others look OK too, especially liked the baby blue ST4 that was featured on the front page.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Depends on the colours really. The graphite 5 is acceptable. Even the supreme with the green wheels is quite nice in a strange way. The baby blue chameleon is frankly one of the ugliest bike builds I’ve ever seen, total overkill. The whitewall tyres are just the final peanut on the turd.

Elmo
    Free Member

I don’t think the colour itself helps(bright orange!)

Because….to be honest……..chunkypauls bike is rather nice in its subtle hue!

aracer
    Free Member

guilty!

Yeah – me too!

gingerflash

I’m definitely not a fan of coloured rims: black, silver, grey but not orange, baby blue or green. the colours themselves are fine, but I just don’t like them on rims.

falkirk-mark

Looks good when new but I would not pay extra for it or get it at the risk of reliability (i.e.if it was possible they were not as strong as unpainted wheels)

druidh
    Free Member

Some colours work.

White

Black

Silver

See?

simonm
    Free Member

The blue looks a little better,

takisawa2

No, that Orange 5 w/ oramge wheels is just wrong.
    Shame on you for posting such wrong-ness.

aracer
    Free Member

The blue looks a little better,

Emphasis on the “little”.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I think a few people need to spend a bit less time colour-coding and a bit more time riding 🙄

MrNutt
    Free Member

that ST4 would look nice with matching lowers as well, its gotta be collars and cuffs in my opinion

druidh
    Free Member

Dibbs – Member
    I think a few people need to spend a bit less time colour-coding and a bit more time riding

How much “time” does it take to decide between black or silver rims etc?

crazy-legs

How much “time” does it take to decide between black or silver rims

No time at all, the answer is always BLACK for rims. And spokes.

chakaping
    Free Member

Would any graphic design types on here like to speculate whether the rims on the Orange 5 and ST4 posted in this thread have been photoshopped to match?

They just look too flat to be real, to my eyes.

Anyway, the answer would still be a no from me. And that Chameleon isn’t quite right either. Seatpost and stem don’t match. Would be better with black stem and black brakes IMO.

DustyLilac
    Free Member

This is quite an interesting one as I can’t see any logic in my reasoning, but here are my thoughts:

1. Black rims are acceptable on any frame colour, the safe choice
    2. White rims are cool on any frame colour apart from black IMO
    3. Silver rims look like they come from the 70’s and are unacceptable
    4. Grey rims can look subtle and moody on any frame colour
    5. Coloured rims look a bit wierd if they match the frame, a bit like a car with body coloured wheels, BUT a bit of contrast is cool. Anybody got a baby blue frame with orange rims? An orange frame with green rims?

I think that we are all very lucky living in the disc brake era, we can have any colour rims we want and not wear through the finish with ‘orrible rim brakes. I was gutted the first time I took my ‘hard surfaced’ MA40s out in the rain in 1987, they always looked cr@p after that.

duntmatter
    Free Member

I agree with DL.

Has anyone got / seen metallic or candy rims?

simonm
    Free Member

I think that we are all very lucky living in the disc brake era, we can have any colour rims we want and not wear through the finish with ‘orrible rim brakes. I was gutted the first time I took my ‘hard surfaced’ MA40s out in the rain in 1987, they always looked cr@p after that.

I dunnu DL, I’ve spenta ages polishing the braking surface on my Arayas.

DustyLilac
    Free Member

Ok, that is a good look.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Matching wheels…..does it really work ?’ is closed to new replies.