Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Matching drivetrain OCD
  • andyl
    Free Member

Couldnt resist the wiggle black friday Eagle GX deal so taking off the Shimano XTR/XT 1×11 from my Bird and probably going to put it on my Solaris in place of the 3×10 with the 11-46T sunrace.

Seems simple but I have a crank problem…

Ideally I would keep the XTR cranks with the Bird as the 32T oval minimum (104bcd) would be more than low enough and then I could fit a 30T oval direct mount on the GX cranks for the solaris. But then I will have sram cranks on shimano and shimano cranks on sram and that would annoy me!

What do I do?

I do have some RF Aeffect cranks I could fit to the solaris but then the lovely XTR would be sat in the parts box

Rorschach
    Free Member

Get over it?

davewalsh
    Free Member

Therapy ?
    You’d hate my bike. I run a hope bb with SLX cranks and a Works chainring. Kmc chain, xt rear mech with the clutch off a zee, with a radr cage, hope jockeys and a praxxis works cassette.

andyl
    Free Member

nah, that lot is fine.

Just like RF or Hope cranks on a shimano or sram set up. Or sram, hope or sunrace cassette on shimano are fine.

But XTR cranks on a sram setup just looks wrong.

gwurk
    Free Member

They look just as wrong on any unfit blokes bike.

garage-dweller

Hmmm XT cranks, Hope ring, SRAM x9 mech, KMC chain, sunrace cassette…

Works for me.

Function / spares bin availability / good prices over coordination.

breadcrumb

I’ve always run Shimano cranks on my MTBs regardless of the rest of the groupset.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Run what works, much prefer the SRAM cranks these days but who really cares – for those that do care get out more!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

XT cranks, hope rings, Sram x0 shifter on the right, x7 on the left, X0 rear mech, Xt front mech, King Bb.

Not sure yet if the x7 shifter will work on the Xt front mech, find out when it arrives, it should. If not I’ll be using an Xt shifter on the left

Proper miss mash. Not arsed tho.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I like a bit of contrasting anodised bling going on. Not too much, just a hint here and there. A flash of a bottom bracket and headset, hubs of course and chainring….never crank, just too much cranks should be black or silver. Oh and a stem but never stem AND handlebars. All black to my eye just looks a bit cheap and dirty.

poah
    Free Member

Run a 30t oval on your xtr.

philstone

Not sure yet if the x7 shifter will work on the Xt front mech, find out when it arrives, it should.

If it’s 11speed I’d be surprised if it doesn’t. I’m running an XX1 shifter with XTR rear mech…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

there are no x7 11sp.

philstone

Never knew that. 8)

benpinnick

Put the Eagle GX cranks on the bike that gets the most use in Mud. The chainrings on the Eagle cranks is brilliant for avoiding that annoying mud grind that you get on other NW rings. Its a relevation!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Matching drivetrain OCD’ is closed to new replies.