Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Mastercard Secure Code – PITA
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

I'm sure it is designed for good, but it irritates me so much. I'm normally very good at remembering passwords, but I'm sure they change this without me knowing 👿

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Totally, 'Verified by Visa' annoys me as well, as it used so infrequently that I just forget what the password is, and then obviously when I need it it stops me using my card. I'm pretty sure it doesn't improve online security too, no evidence to back that up mind.

spooky_b329

Gets even more complicated when you hold a joint credit card, and some retailers are set to pay from my card and others from her card, then you have to remember two sets of passwords 🙁

Onzadog
    Free Member

Totally agree with the OP. I'm normally great with passwords but I seem to have to renew my password every flippin' time I use it. Puts me off buying from certain places.

bruneep

should try RBS card reader thingy….. If you change or amend anything on your account online and you need it.
    fooking handy when I'm other side of the world.

Northwind

I wouldn't mind if it was any use at all but the added security is basically irrelevant. The design breef wasn't "make it more secure", it was "make people think it's more secure". Sad but true.

spooky_b329

Whilst we're on the subject, we've managed to miss out on these card reader things, we have a semi-dormant Barclays account, and Alliance and Leicester aka Santander.

Looking to change main accounts from A&L to a new bank, who else doesn't use the card reader things. Having recently joined the smartphone brigade we can now do banking on it, and also on work PCs so don't want to end up lugging a reader around just in case.

andytherocketeer

Definitely true about the "being seen to be more secure".
    Dunno if they sorted out their security or not, but if you knew someones CC details, at one point you could register the Verified by Visa / MC Secure code thingy with your own throw away yahoo/hotmail addy (if they hadn't already). Still daft that the CV2 is written on the cards too.

Dickyboy

verified by visa – really grinds my gears that does – can't even reuse a password you have used before so no chance of remembering it & you only need to know DOB to change password anyway so hardly effing secure either 😡
    On one of my cards it wouldn't even accept my passward that was 100% correct – phoned up & they confirmed I was right too 😡 😡

stilltortoise
    Free Member

On one of my cards it wouldn't even accept my passward that was 100% correct

Interesting. Maybe this is what is happening to me too.

I just don't get it. If someone steals my card details and then gets stopped in their tracks by this feeble added security, the easiest thing to do is go spending on a site that doesn't need it. as with most stuff like this, unless it is universal adoption, it has such limited use

uplink
    Free Member

On one of my cards it wouldn't even accept my passward that was 100% correct – phoned up & they confirmed I was right too

The operators at a call centre know your password??

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

One account, two cards (one for me, one for Mrs Feet). Both cards have the same number. When the mastercard thingy pops up, always asks for Mrs Feet's password and there is no whay to change it to mine. **** annoying. having said that, I have on a few occasions clicked of cancel (or whatever it is) and the payment still goes though 😯

Very secure 😕

rootes1

Totally, 'Verified by Visa' annoys me as well, as it used so infrequently that I just forget what the password is, and then obviously when I need it it stops me using my card. I'm pretty sure it doesn't improve online security too, no evidence to back that up mind.

i always just select forgot password and then enter the more easy to remember details it prompts you for.. right PITA though..
    bit like that stupid Barclays online pin sentry thing – it has stopped me using their online bank

retro83
    Free Member

i always just select forgot password and then enter the more easy to remember details it prompts you for.. right PITA though..

Yes and you can't reuse any of your previous 9000 passwords either. A right PITA. I keep mine written down on a piece of paper now. Nice and secure.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Looking to change main accounts from A&L to a new bank, who else doesn't use the card reader things.

Spooky – I have accounts at First Direct, Halifax, HSBC and Nationwide and non of them use a card reader 🙂

loddrik
    Free Member

I was with Barclays and moved because the card reader was the biggest **** of a thing ever. Now with A&L but don't have a card reader. Are they bringing them in? If so I am switching again…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Mastercard Secure Code – PITA’ is closed to new replies.