Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Massive interview tomorrow.
  • uwe-r
    Free Member

I have an interview tomorrow. My current company were great but nearly went bust last year and now are shit. I’m doing two peoples jobs and still on a shit wage (for my profession). I need out.

There is only one company that have a similar good reputation as my current work did have, I am going to see them tomorrow following an introduction from a former colleague who has already joined them. First external interview in 12 years although it is informal at this stage. I’m shitting it as so much is riding on it, I could see myself being there for the next 12 years if this goes well, if it doesn’t my options are significantly worse.

Any tips? Wish me luck?

Chew
    Free Member

I’m shitting it as so much is riding on it

The more relaxed you are the better you’ll come across so put everything out of your mind and pretend it doesnt matter.

Make sure you’ve done your research on the company, as it can be one of the first questions they ask and if you nail that one your confidence will improve.

Also you’ll probably get asked: Give me an example of when…
    What would you do if….
    So make sure you have plenty of examples in your head

tonyg2003

Make sure you know as much as possible about the new company (checked out the news on their website today). So try to come across as keen (not desperate), informed and knowledgeable.

bearnecessities

Well if you’ve been recommended, then you’re part-way in.

I would suggest from what you’ve said, that you may be asked questions around what had made your present company face the wall; so think of some professional, factual answers.

Not enough info to suggest anything more, but good luck.

Gilesey
    Free Member

Be sure you convince them that you really want their job, not just away from your current one. Oh, and plenty stretching warm up exercises the morning before your interview, then 5 deep breaths – in through the nose, out through the mouth before you go in. This will help you relax.

Good luck.

grahamt1980

From my experience the most important thing is to actually listen to the questions and answer them in the way the interviewer has asked.

I asked an interviewee to give me an example of when they worked in a team that crossed functional boundaries within an organisation.
    They replied with yes I have worked in a team. Unsurprisingly that one didn’t get scored highly.

Beyond that, stop and think before answering and if you are going to use corporate or industry jargon then make damn sure you know what it means. I have had a few who have come out with the buzzwords then when asked about it have blown it totally.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If you’re really nervous, be sure to ask for a glass of water. When you get a tricky, or nerve inducing question, take some time to take a sip and gather your thoughts a bit.

Oh, and dont do your elephant impression unless you absolutely have to!

uwe-r
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies. I’ll take on the advice. I’m all over their website but also have friends in the business so I’m clued up! Just need to not turn in to Alan partridge when I get there!

bearnecessities

If you’re really nervous, be sure to ask for a glass of water.

Worst.
    Advice.
    Ever.

You want to take a jug of water and shake the shit out of it like some Buckfast-dependent wino? Sure, pour some water!

Alan Partridge quote would be better in a case of nerves.

’Sunday Bloody Sunday’. What a great song. It really encapsulates the frustration of a Sunday, doesn’t it? You wake up in the morning, you’ve got to read all the Sunday papers, the kids are running round, you’ve got to mow the lawn, wash the car, and you think ‘Sunday, bloody Sunday!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Massive interview tomorrow.’ is closed to new replies.