Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • massive fork judder under braking?
  • sleigh62
    Free Member

Hi all

I’ve recently bought an alloy s-works tricross with Easton EC90X forks … the trouble is when I’m braking at any decent speed I get this massive fork judder. It’s got the original Avid canti brakes and theyre seated properly … can anyone tell me whats going on??

wwaswas

Fitting one of these can help a lot – the cause is fork flex changing the effective length of the cable and repeatedly tightening and releasing the brake.

sleigh62
    Free Member

Ahh …. I see

It has one of those … inverted and coming down from just under the stem.

So if I was to get rid of that one and fit a fork mounted one lower down would that sort it?

Also … would normal brakes rather than canti’s work … bit reluctant to do that though cos I like the old canti’s

allthepies
    Free Member

Yup, you need a fork mounted hanger to sort it.

Known issue with stem mounted hangers.

Here’s the tech on it all:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/09/news/cyclocross/technical-qa-with-lennard-zinn-return-to-cross_101807

wwaswas

mini-v’s are a popular choice, again they change the way the cable runs so less chance of judder.

Be aware that badly aligned pads, dirty/sticky rims etc can have the same symptoms though.

sleigh62
    Free Member

mini v’s may be the only option …
    just looked at my fork and it’s not drilled to take a fork mounted hanger

🙁

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

check headset – it may need tightening up by the sound of it

DezB
    Free Member

I switched to mini-vs cos of this on my Cannondale. They’re ok, a bit spongy though.

The best fix is… dare I say it… discs 😉

sleigh62
    Free Member

pawsy_bear … yep, checked that and its good’n’tight …

DezB …… noooooooooooooooo … that means I would have to ditch the EC90X’s and all their carbon loveliness 😥 …. can’t do that …. they look so nice!

DezB
    Free Member

You know the answer…

😀

sleigh62
    Free Member

… hhmmm

actually … their nice too!

can’t though the sworks is a 2007 one … no disc mounts

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Just do the front as a disk…

devash
    Free Member

The older Tricrosses (pre-2011) were notorious for brake judder, especially the ones with carbon forks. They actually recalled some forks because of it. All the 2011+ models either came with that little fork mounted bit wwaswas posted or had a steel fork.

sleigh62
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for the help & advice.

Sorted it now … managed to get a set of TRP V brakes … not quite the retro look of the canti’s but infinitely better brakes and no fork judder from the EC90’s at all … amazing!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘massive fork judder under braking?’ is closed to new replies.