Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • massive downer after a bike trip?
  • ton

every time i go away on a bike trip, be it a weekend away with the mates or a touring trip with the good lady, i come back and straight away seem to go into a big downer. big black cloud following me around.
    is this normal?

whippersnapper
    Free Member

happens to me too.

poly
    Free Member

Is that because the trip is over and you now have to go back to normal life.

tenfoot

Me too – pick yourself up by planning the next one. 😀

mintimperial

Yeah. Every time. I think it’s partly mental, adjusting back to the daily grind, but there’s a physical element too, your body is recovering from an effort and needs to slow you down so it tells you that everything is rubbish and you should mope about on the sofa for a bit.

I prescribe myself a couple of days of beer and crisps and telly, usually works. 🙂

sharkbait
    Free Member

You’ve had a good time and now you’re back to your [potentially] mundane life – you’re feeling sad.
    I used to get this when coming back from my parents place by the beach.

The solution for you is to go and do more bike trips. The more you do the more it becomes part of your normal life so you don’t feel sad, you just start looking forward to the next one.

We came back from the beach place last night but I know I’m back there in two weeks so it’s fine 🙂

scotroutes

Perfectly normal.

* Create a “bucket list”
    * Start planning them.
    * Always have the next one lined up.

Esme
    Free Member

Is Mrs Ton still bringing you to the Elderly Gentlewomens Ride?
    That’s something to look forward to 😀

_tom_
    Free Member

Yep. I had the worst one after Whistler!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not for me, though there are other things that get me down.

Work mostly!

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Not touched the DH bike since sept and whistler. Poop

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Scotroutes has it, I always have a few bike weekends and family hols planned to look forward to. An evening poring over maps with a beer and some snacks gets the juices flowing.

Get yourself one of these, I spend ages in front of it, when folks on here talk about Lakes rides, I can get a good handle on them straight away!.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

What is that thing? Looks interesting!

kayla1
    Free Member

Don’t underestimate the recuperative (physically and mentally) powers of a gentle potter out.

A bucket list is a good idea too.

RobHilton
    Free Member

That 3D map is awesome!

I never get a downer – I’ve always pushed myself hard enough to appreciate a few days of doing something else rather than having anything to do with bikes when I get back 🙂

wallop

I always cry on the way home from France 😥

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have to say having trips/events planned always helps me be positive – especially in the winter.

ton

Is Mrs Ton still bringing you to the Elderly Gentlewomens Ride?
    That’s something to look forward to

Esme, she is indeed. hopefully staying in Bakewell for 2 nights depending on work. if i have to work, we will be there saturday afternoon.

where is everyone staying?

Esme
    Free Member

Excellent, I’ll reply on the other thread.

DaveRambo

I wouldn’t say I get a black cloud but I do feel down and the reality of going back to work makes me question what I do.

It helps watching GoPro footage of the trip and then planning the next one. I try and get out on the bike to build on the fitness I like to think I gained while on the trip.

I’ve been trying to make sure that I have something arranged every month so it’s not long until the next thing and I can start to get the anticipation bug again.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Nobeer, I thought that was some sort of Ordinance Survey 3D baked Alaska style cake.

Ton, feel for you, I came back from our recent trip craving more. It’s even worse after a multi week trip.

I enjoy every aspect of getting away. Sorting out kit and looking at routes. Plan something else…today.

I’m with Al on the winter thing. If I’ve got something to plan for through it, it becomes much more bearable.

I even built up an extra bike yesterday so Leffeboy can join us without flying over with his.

I also enjoy touring vicariously on CGOAB

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Not alone!

Plan the next one is good advice from tenfoot.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Nobeer – does your 3d map cover the likes of High Street?

Esme
    Free Member

tomhoward

First ride after I got back from Whistler was soul destroying.
    Not enthused to ride road bikes since getting back from Majorca.
    😥
    Having to go in to work did nothing for mood enhancement.

Back to Majorca in 6 weeks, back to Whistler in 10 😀

takisawa2

I feel sad when I’ve finished a round the world cycling book…
    In my mind, I’m constantly planning for the GDR. 🙁

Northwind

When I got back from my first trip abroad I didn’t really ride a bike for a month. It’s good to start planning the next thing, I reckon

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I
    In my mind, I’m constantly planning for the GDR.

That’s probably not that uncommon a sentiment.

senorj

I do. Thought it was just me,so feel a little better now.

tomd
    Free Member

Me too. Usually it’s not bad but after some big trips I’ve been pretty low.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I used to when I lived in London – especially coming back from Whistler. Now I live on the edge of the Peaks it’s not nearly so bad. My local hills and trails might not be so high and mighty as some, but they’re MINE, and there’s some views hereabout I can never get tired of.

ton

since i posted this earlier, i have been out on the bike twice, a nice 10 mile canalside pootle with the wife before teatime, and a quick (for me) 10 mile road blast.
    my mood has lifted somewhat……. 8)

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Worst holiday blues I’ve had was after an alps trip last year – couldn’t get into work or anything for about a week afterwards

Midnighthour
    Free Member

If you feel so down when you get home/back to normal life, I suggest there is something significantly wrong with your ‘normal life’ and that things need to be changed either personally or in your job – maybe change job?

Its normal to be tired after physical holidays, its normal to feel it would be nicer to stay on holiday but feeling really low just seems a sign there are issues/unhappiness taken away when you are on holiday that you are not noticing or avoiding noticing on a day to day basis. Spend some time thinking on this.

BigDummy
    Free Member

If you feel so down when you get home/back to normal life, I suggest there is something significantly wrong with your ‘normal life’ and that things need to be changed either personally or in your job – maybe change job?

No, no, no, no, no. That’s a fool’s errand. You can’t change any of that stuff. You have to change your holidays so that they’re more disappointing and make “normal life” look more fun. Try going narrow-boating on the Norfolk Broads with the in-laws in October. Something like that.

😉

dknwhy

Just spent the weekend riding from Calais to Bruges and back. Wind in my thinning hair, sun on my back, camping, mussels, beer and ice cream.
    Took yesterday off as the lad was ill but now i’m back in work feeling miserable.

Working to live sucks. Bike was loaded with everything I need, would have been so easy to keep on going………

I vow that as soon as the kids move out, me and the wife are off…..

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘massive downer after a bike trip?’ is closed to new replies.