• This topic has 32 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by TN.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Massage student needs willing victims (Sheffield)
  • TN
    Free Member

Hi

As part of my mid life crisis I have binned my job in IT and embarked on a course in massage with a view, ultimately, of progressing into Sport/Physiotherapy.
    To complete my training I need to log lots of hours of massage. I have approached friends and family but when it comes to it, it’s proving pretty tricky to get the hours in so I figure since I want to get in to sport therapy, why not ask on a sporty (!) forum.

So, is there anyone in Sheffield who would be willing to volunteer for free massage on the understanding that I am still studying and cannot diagnose or treat injuries. I am mobile within the Sheffield area and available during the day most days.
    I will record details of the massage for my training log but your personal details will not be stored.

Interested? Contact me here first and I will get in touch.

T

scaredypants

you should probably clarify the situation regarding “extras” early on

TN
    Free Member

There are no extras – get yerself down Attercliffe if you want that kind of ‘massage’.
    (The first post. I’m kind of disappointed…)

Diane
    Free Member

If I lived nearer I’d definately be in. Good luck TN 🙂

ianfitz
    Free Member

TN in our house we have three adults across two generations who are runner/cyclists. My email is in profile if you want to get in touch.

weeksy

I just can’t imagine letting another man do it for me….

TN
    Free Member

Well Weeksy, you’re in luck then – I am neither going to do it for you, nor am I a man.
    Ianfitz, will mail you.

weeksy

TN – Member
    Well Weeksy, you’re in luck then – I am neither going to do it for you, nor am I a man.
    Ianfitz, will mail you.

Phew… i feel better now 🙂

However i’m miles away, which is a shame as i have a niggle that you may be able to help with.

TN
    Free Member

Ian, I can’t see your email address however, mine is in my profile so if you can just send me an email I will get back to you.

Weeksy, niggles I can do, sorry you’re not closer.
    I will be asking for volunteers in/ near Plymouth soon, so if that’s any better?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Be on for some of that – mail in profile!

weeksy

TN – Member
    Ian, I can’t see your email address however, mine is in my profile so if you can just send me an email I will get back to you.

Weeksy, niggles I can do, sorry you’re not closer.
    I will be asking for volunteers in/ near Plymouth soon, so if that’s any better?

Thanks for the reply but no, not really much better.

I fancy a massage for the tired weary legs but worry i’ll get some big hairy 40 year old ex IT nerd…

TN
    Free Member

Well I am not hairy, but the rest of it fits… Eeeek. Noticed you are in Berkshire – no, that’s not a lot better is it? Try looking at local colleges – apparently they often offer free/ cheap massages by their students.

althepal

Dammit- Glasgow might be a bit too far then.
    Good luck TN and well done for making the jump.

TN
    Free Member

Thank you. It took a fairly shitty situation to get me out of my comfort zone and back into studying but I feel better than I have done for a very long time.

KennySenior
    Free Member

A massage thread. I predict that there won’t be a happy ending.

xcgb
    Free Member

A massage thread. I predict that there won’t be a happy ending.

😀

TN
    Free Member

Ho ho. 🙂

jamj1974

It’s great you are have the courage for a significant change like that. Really great to hear of someone doing what the feel they should do rather than stating in a rut. Hats off to you!

TN
    Free Member

Compared with what came before, binning my job really wasn’t that scary.
    My husband left me in a position where I could afford to do it and it was exactly the right thing to do to honour the best man I ever knew. He’s looking after me even though he’s not here any more. 🙂

TN
    Free Member

It’s sad that sometimes it takes a crisis to kick us up the arse and make us do the right thing.

theotherjonv

TN – I knew i recognized the login. You’re onearmedcyclist’s other half aren’t you.

Congratulations on making the step; even if as you say he put you in a position to be able to do it, it’s still a difficult thing to stop doing something you know and do something you don’t. Hope it works out well for you.

TN
    Free Member

I am indeed his wife. This is my new life. It’s working out okay so far – ups and downs but it is starting to become more ups than downs.

mugsys_m8

TN, try contacting Sheffrec CC to get them to put word round their members. Contact Marc Etches via their website and tell him Dan Heywood suggested you get in touch.

I’m no longer in Sheffield, but I wish you the best of luck.

Also you could try Rutland Cycle Club.

TN
    Free Member

Thanks Dan. I will see what the response is on here and then maybe contact them.

edenshawbay
    Free Member

Yes try Simon Keeton @ Rutland cc or I can put your details on their website/facebook.

scaled
    Free Member

Damn, between me and my gf we’ve got 2.5 messed up legs/knees and a back that needs fixing. Wrong side of the peaks though!

theteaboy
    Free Member

Great idea!

Dark Peak Fell Runners are always crocked and in need of whatever therapy might be available! http://www.dpfr.org.uk/

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

TN, ygm

TN
    Free Member

Thanks for all the responses so far. I have replied to everyone that’s been in touch and got a couple of you booked in.

Going to hold off contacting any clubs/groups for the time being as I am to-ing and fro-ing between Sheffield and Plymouth (and France) a fair bit at the mo. once I am more settled I will be in touch with them.

ridesheffield
    Free Member

Feel free to post it in the ride sheffield facebook group too!

glupton1976
    Free Member

TN – get in touch with some of your local rugby clubs. They tend to need a lot of massage therapists and have the added bonus that you’ll get pain for it – even as you build up your hours.

What course is it that you’re doing and what’s your thoughts on going into physiotherapy with the 2 or 3 years studying that it involves?

Pieface

Hi, I am in Sheffield and could do with some Sports Massage for a calf injury I have.

I work for SHU so can easily get to Collegiate if that’s where you’re based, otherwise I live in Hillsborough.

TN
    Free Member

Ridesheffield – will do at some point, when I know when/if I am going to be in Sheffield.

Glupton – another friend mentioned rugby clubs. Again, I will do that once I am more settled/know where I am going to be living in the longer term. I am going to take some time once I qualify to do massage work, I have another diploma course in Pre- and Post-Event sport massage booked for when this one finishes. I think if I can work in the sportier side of things for a while I will get an idea whether I want to commit the time and money to qualifying as a physio, or if I am happy where I am. I have dreamt of being a physio since, well, since I started in IT… 🙂

Pieface – I am in Stannington so I could come to your place if you have space for a massage couch?

I am pretty much booked up for this week now, and not available again until Friday next week, but anyone interested drop me an email – address is in my profile.

Thanks for the support everyone.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Massage student needs willing victims (Sheffield)’ is closed to new replies.