Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Massage – before or after exercise?
  • psychle
    Free Member

Does it matter? I’m feeling a bit stiff at the moment (have upped my exercise levels a fair bit this past week!), think I might go have an hours massage to loosen things up (back and hamstrings particularily). Should I go before the gym, or after? Or not go to the gym at all? It’ll be a Thai style massage btw (if it makes an difference)…

scotbike
    Free Member

Have you upped your stretching and hydration to the level of your increased activity? This could affect your muscle stiffness and recovery. Tho I have used them, I find a sports massage from a physio is hit and miss. I’ve found (Ashtanga and Iyengar) yoga to be an excellent way of evening out muscle imbalances and minimising post exercise ache. Found my way to yoga when I used to climb, where suppleness and mobility of joint range make a hug difference.

MSP

Thai style full body massage, will definitely make it stiff 😉

igmc

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I would just go get the massage to be honest and not bother with the exercise.

qwerty
    Free Member

will sir be paying extra for a

with his

fnarr fnarr

psychle
    Free Member

Sigh… silly children… I can’t afford a happy ending anyway, at least, not here in the UK 😉

Have you upped your stretching and hydration to the level of your increased activity?

Hydration yes, stretching, not so great (though I’ve always been appalling at this!). Should get into Yoga, by all accounts it would help with my problematic back (at least partly related to silly tight legs I think!)

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

A good sports massage, (e.g. one that hurts), will relese toxins into your body and you’ll feel tired/crap afterwards. Therefore plan it after a training session and before a rest day.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What TSC said.

crazy-legs

A good sports massage, (e.g. one that hurts), will relese toxins into your body and you’ll feel tired/crap afterwards. Therefore plan it after a training session and before a rest day.

He speaketh the truth.
    I’ve felt properly rubbish the day after a massage in the past, particularly if I’ve not had one in a while. It just flushes all the crap out of the muscles.
    Have the massage after exercise, use the following day as a rest day, perhaps a gentle spin or walk to get the blood flowing.

psychle
    Free Member

cheers chaps, that’s what I shall do then 🙂 I love STW for organising my life 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Giving yourself a bit of a rub can help a bit. It’s good to do in the shower or a bath.

(going for the most suggestive post on the thread)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Massage – before or after exercise?’ is closed to new replies.