• This topic has 461 replies, 131 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by poah.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 462 total)
  • Mass suicide attempt by commuter cyclists.
  • globalti
    Free Member

The cyclist who nearly killed himself whines: “Everybody does it… it’s London….”

So that makes it okay then. No surprise so many die under truck wheels with this level of idiocy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHvIhC4rcXA

sandboy

Insane, glad i never have to cycle anywhere near the place!!

jekkyl

He’s right though, they should have been in the same lane as the Lorry. If the lorry was there first they should have been behind it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    weeksy

Wasn’t a great move. I’m sure if he looks back at the footage he’ll see why.

Stoner
    Free Member

I love cycling in London. Have done it every week for 20yrs with almost zero incidents. Just need to not ride like a douche.

me1tdown
    Free Member

Would an advanced stop line have helped in this situation?
    Either way, not a particularly intelligent move by either party.

convert

Lots of comments defending the cyclist in the youtube comments section. I can’t work out if that is due to tribalism and defend fellow cyclist at all costs or they truly believe that riding like that is ok. Can’t decide which would be worse tbh.

Also, the only thing worse than waiting at lights is watching a video of someone else waiting at lights.

lazybike
    Free Member

Left hand lane or not the driver could have left him a bit more room..

funkmasterp

The cyclist was in the wrong in my opinion. I actually felt sorry for the lorry driver. He was clearly very shaken by the fact he almost killed somebody. Everybody does it is an excuse I would expect from a six year old. I hope they’ve both learnt a valuable lesson.

Did he even know he was there though? Pretty huge blind spot on an arctic and the cyclist was in the wrong lane.

robz400
    Free Member

How could the driver leave more room for people he cannot see?

It’s a pretty arrogant person who sits in the well known blind spot of a lorry and expects the driver to know they are there!

Feel sorry for the driver here and I spend years cycling around London.

convert

For the cyclist to risk his life on the fact that the driver of the lorry would leave space for a cyclist that he did not know was there by barging into the cars in the right hand lane he did know were there is a big ask.

lazybike
    Free Member

For the cyclist to risk his life on the fact that the driver of the lorry would leave space for a cyclist that he did not know was there by barging into the cars in the right hand lane he did know were there is a big ask.

It is…It never ceases to amaze me that people will put their lives in the hands of total strangers to save a few seconds on a journey time.

FuzzyWuzzy

Are you for real? He didn’t deliberately clip him, he had no idea the cyclist was there. The cyclist was entirely responsible for that.

votchy
    Free Member

Every single cyclist that went straight on at that junction that was in the LH lane was in the wrong. The LH lane is clearly marked turn left only. Lane markings, road signs, traffic signals apply to all, end of story.

Superficial
    Free Member

Lorry driver entirely in the right for me. The only comment is that perhaps he could have anticipated more cyclists after seeing the first few go through. But yeah, stupid move by at least 4 cyclists.

jam-bo

Foolish move by the cyclist but should HGV’s with massive blind spots be allowed on busy crowded city roads?

kimbers

Cyclist a dick but driver is in London, its the most cycling city in the UK, over a million cycle journeys a day.

Hgvs and poor cycling infrastructure (and bad cycling) make this kind of interface inevitable

NZCol

Absolutely cyclists fault. Sitting and a left hand filter lane then going straight on and sitting right in a blind spot. Must be tired of living. I see stuff like this in London quite often and it makes me wince

convert

Foolish move by the cyclist but should HGV’s with massive blind spots be allowed on busy crowded city roads?

Now I do agree with this. I have never driven an HGV so my views are relatively useless but you would have thought cameras and head up displays could be used to help the driver have improved awareness without creating an information overload of different mirros and screen to have to monitor. Maybe dispense with mirrors completely and replace with monitors with a better angle to reduce the number of places the driver has to look. I know it’s bad enough in my Ducato van.

Having said all that – it’s still a pretty entitled move by the cyclists to use the wrong lane and expect other road users to make unorthodox moves (like slowing in the middle of a junction to make sure they have all under taken him or barged across into the traffic on his right to give them the lane) to accommodate their desire to cycle as an when they feel like. I have no desire to slow up cyclists on what should be a very appropriate transport method for a city but that spot seems on face value to be one where they need to yield from doing what they wish for purely geographical reasons and a desire to see tomorrow.

Watching it again I love the fact that our cameraman’s first comment was ‘I got the on film’. Like the police are going to side with a bunch of cyclists behaving like that. But maybe youtube shaming is the police these days.

ElShalimo

Cyclists are guilty of a huge sense of entitlement and lack of road craft here. Poor truck driver probably got the fright of his life.
    The idiot repeating “everyone does it” is clearly a complete dick. He’s lucky the driver didn’t lose his rag and chin him.
    It’s just embarrassing and is deliberate.
    I can’t be arsed watching these idiots again but did the cyclist even look once as he was about to exit the left only lane and force his puny frame in front of a 40t truck?

Edukator
    Free Member

Watched the vid, deliberate, attempted murder. The truck driver knew there were lots of cyclists around and didn’t take that into account. Selfish aggressive driving. You need a law that says you should always take care of the more vulnerable road user even if you have right of way.

ElShalimo

Reformed Troll is not reformed then. Back under the bridge for you.

oldtalent
    Free Member

Funny. I’ve never seen brown lycra before.

jam-bo

It suprised me how quick the lorry pulled away. Must have been empty…

funkmasterp

It’s not about right of way Edukator. They were in the wrong lane. How long do you expect the driver to wait? The whole bunch of cyclists acted like utter cockwombles and that’s coming from a cyclist.

Edukator
    Free Member

How long do you expect the driver to wait?

Until it’s safe to proceed.

Fatboy35

Very frightening for both parties, I wonder IF the cyclist will look at this and think ‘My goodness, I was unbelievably stupid there, I’ll learn from that before I kill myself’

…probably not.

funkmasterp

Until it’s safe to proceed.

How’s he supposed to know when that is exactly? As about ten people have already stated, huge blind spot, he doesn’t know if there are fifty more cyclists to come. Attempted murder my arse. The cyclist took a stupid risk and then shat himself when it went wrong.

Trust me, I’m one of ther first people to condemn bad driving. In this case I feel sorry for the lorry driver.

simmy
    Free Member

First time I’ve ever said this ( probably ) but the cyclists are in the wrong.

Massive blind spots in that area, unless there are cameras retro fitted pointing that way, and the cyclists were in a left lane.

” it’s London mate, everyone does that ” I’ve only ever been London once so I’ve no idea if that’s correct but, if it was a car or white van man who had tried jumping in front of the LGV from the left lane who would everyone be blaming when they were sideswiped ? Everyone would be defending the LGV.

Think the guy who was hit realised that as he screamed and shouted then cycled off without exchanging details.

convert

Watched the vid, deliberate, attempted murder. The truck driver knew there were lots of cyclists around and didn’t take that into account. Selfish aggressive driving. You need a law that says you should always take care of the more vulnerable road user even if you have right of way.

I think about the rules of the road at sea. The first responsibility for the vessel with right of way is to maintain course and speed so the other vessel has a consistent and predictable object to avoid. The HGV did this here IMO. However when a collision looks inevitable without manoeuvre it is still the responsibility of the vessel with right of way to alter course and or speed to avoid the collision.

It would seem reasonable to apply to the tarmac road too and only the most callus road user would not do this instinctively. In this case you are asking the lorry driver to manoeuvre to accommodate a potentially infinite number of unknown objects (I don’t believe he knew he was there) coming down his blind side. Watch the female cyclist with better awareness slow down and go out of frame left when they appreciate they are too late to filter in. You are also asking the vessel with right of way to yield to the more vulnerable who are in no way carrying out the responsibilities of their side of the bargain. That seems harsh. Not as harsh as being squashed I grant you but riders riding with impunity with the onus of responsibility always placed on the driver would seem an impossible situation to maintain. I am aware it sort of exists on the continent and would be interested to know how it is enforced when the cyclists is clearly in the wrong.

cloudnine
    Free Member

That cyclist was lucky.. Could easily have been squished under the lorry. Doesn’t seem a whole lot of self preservation going on there.. Right or wrong they should be riding so they don’t put themselves in situations where they will easily get killed.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Usually I’m on the cyclist’s side. Not this time.

Edukator
    Free Member

he doesn’t know if there are fifty more cyclists to come

So he assumes thare are more and doesn’t close the gap. It’s two lanes into one over that junction, there was plenty of space to the right of the truck, the drive just had to let cars pass then move into it.

What would those supporting the truck driver have done in the same situation? I’m absolutely certain I wouldn’t have driven the way the truck drive did. The road narrows, he was the best placesd person to see that sat high and with all the time at the lights to work out what to do. He used that time to work out he could deliberately cut up cyclists rather than start slowly, indicate right, move out and give them room.

drlex
    Free Member

Wasn’t a great move. I’m sure if he looks back at the footage he’ll see why.

Yup – either needs moar powah to stay with the leaders or more self-preservation – see the cyclist in white with yellow lid to the left that checks speed to tuck in behind.

nevisthecat
    Free Member

All those wankpuffins were in a left hand turn lane.

They were in a likely blind spot

It was clear the HGV was going straight on, on a narrowing of the road.

Unless reading Peppa Pig is an intellectual challenge, the obvious course of action would have been to hang back.

I felt sorry for the HGV driver v a bunch of self regarding cockpellets.

convert

he could deliberately cut up cyclists

That’s quite aggressive language. I deem deliberately cut up as an action where the driver alters course to impede the cyclist. He did not do that in any way. He maintained his course in a way that was perfectly predictable to the cyclists if they had engaged their brains. Some did and either accelerated hard to get ahead or hung back. our hero did not, just hung around in the blind spot.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

It suprised me how quick the lorry pulled away. Must have been empty.

I was thinking the same thing but on watching it again I think that the bike filming it slows down as they can see what’s happening and at the same time the truck is moving away so it looks more like the truck is accelerating at the cyclists.

Definitely the cyclists in the wrong there though in my opinion but when I’ve cycled into London in the past it seems that stupid manouveres up the inside of trucks an busses is a fairly normal thing for done cyclists.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Edukator, it is most definitely not two lanes into one over the junction. The left lane is turning left. Only the right hand lane was going on and the bike was not in front of the lorry (hence needing overtaken) but beside it (hence pushing sideways into the lane).

stevextc
    Free Member

First time I’ve ever said this ( probably ) but the cyclists are in the wrong.

Massive blind spots in that area, unless there are cameras retro fitted pointing that way, and the cyclists were in a left lane.

” it’s London mate, everyone does that ” I’ve only ever been London once so I’ve no idea if that’s correct but, if it was a car or white van man who had tried jumping in front of the LGV from the left lane who would everyone be blaming when they were sideswiped ? Everyone would be defending the LGV.

It’s not the first time I’ve said this.

The problem is that ” it’s London mate, nearly everyone does that ” is not far from the truth.

This seems more a herd/school/flock mentality…
    The outcome of a bike hitting a truck, bus etc. is pretty obviously biased … but I can only presume the mentality is like the prey animals… someone will die but not me…

I’ve sat at pub next to traffic lights and watched literally hundreds of cyclists jump a red light one after the other…and those actually stopping being a minority but I’d guess the majority of them are simply part of herd mentality. The first one does it and gets away with it… then a few more… but the majority would probably stop was it not for those ahead of them?

dovebiker

The onus on the truck driver to proceed safely – there was plenty of road width for him to leave a big gap on the inside, but in his haste the truck driver decided to cut the corner even though he would have been aware of bikes on the inside – if he didn’t he shouldn’t be driving in the city centre. Health and Safety at work legislation should be brought to bear on commercial vehicles and drivers – it’s what has cut unacceptable deaths in the building industry. Yes the cyclist is an ar$e, but he doesn’t deserve to die for his troubles.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 462 total)

The topic ‘Mass suicide attempt by commuter cyclists.’ is closed to new replies.