• This topic has 55 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by adsh.
Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Mass start races / events… Your start line strategy?
  • epicyclo

Start from the back.

Then I can claim no one passed me for nearly a lap…

🙂

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

See, I always go for the side on the outside of the 1st corner rather than the inside, the crash always happens as people take the shortest line through the 1st and T bone each other, they very rarely overshoot it and take you out if you’re going around the outside.

I’ve used this technique for ages up to World Champs level CX and XC. Doesn’t always work but mostly it does.

Having said that if it’s a 3 mile straight I’d not opt for the front row unless there’s no choice as you’ll take a lot of wind.

Also, it’s always worth giving it the berries from the start, it’s the easiest place in the race to take 30-40 or 300-400 positions in a short space of time, try that once the race is under way!

mccraque

I used to be very polite on the start line, but then caught too many people and got stuck behind them on the singletrack. Nowadays, I give it a bit of welly, and go backwards from thereonin.

ferrals
    Free Member

I’m not slow but I wass surprised at how ridiculously fast XC race starts are. Definitely something to train for.

It’s pretty nuts, think it was on svenness that the quote came up ‘for a cx race it’s the sprint at the start that can win it not the sprint at the end’ same goes for mtb. One of my main reasons for racing cx this season was to get better at fast starts, as it’s something hard to train for on your own.

It not just the speed but the aggression needed, you have to be really up for it and willing to hold position and barge/lean on people if necessary, if you aren’t, however fast you are you’ll get caught up.

I tend to start mid pack, and it amazes me how some people who are pretty slow are happy to barge to near the front, only to fumble to clip in when the whistle goes. That’s something I need to learn to do next season- the barging not the fumbling 😆

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I’ve done the Steve Knight method once or twice
    1.) get gridded.
    2.) Wait for the gun to go.
    3.) Rapidly move backwards through the pack.
    4.) Remember i’m not Steve Knight and as such won’t be able to make up 30 places in 5 laps, panic and try and hold on to a top 20 position.

I don’t use the Steve Knight method anymore.

(What happened to Steve?)

dazh

Don’t get on the front if you’re not in with a chance of a high placing.

This. Did a race last year where off the start the guy in 4th place rode the first bit of narrow singletrack like a granny on a shopping bike, the result being a queue of 20+ riders behind him getting increasingly annoyed, and the first 3 riding off into the distance.

Kryton57

It’s pretty nuts, think it was on svenness that the quote came up ‘for a cx race it’s the sprint at the start that can win it not the sprint at the end’ same goes for mtb. One of my main reasons for racing cx this season was to get better at fast starts, as it’s something hard to train for on your own.

You haven’t encountered the hard start intervals ref. the other thread yet then?

It not just the speed but the aggression needed, you have to be really up for it and willing to hold position and barge/lean on people if necessary, if you aren’t, however fast you are you’ll get caught up.

And confidence, which is my problem.

ferrals
    Free Member

@kryton57 – the tr thread? Not done hard start intervals on tr., practised them in on a bit of fireroad, but however quick I am when I’m on my own, it’s nothing like hearing ‘you’ll be started in the next 15 seconds… BEEEP

I don’t think doing start intervals on the turbo compares.

Racing cross has sped up my reactions in terms of clipping in winding up to power etc, and my confidence/aggression has improved, whether it’s improved enough we’ll see in a few weeks!

gee
    Free Member

For the first couple of events you do, try to aim to keep clear of the front couple of rows of “serious” folk who are used to riding in a big bunch at speed at the start of a race. It’s bloody dangerous when people who aren’t used to this start snaking about everywhere. Once you figure out where you end up results-wise, you’ll get to know more where to start in the pack. Here’s always a queue beyond the first few riders once the track narrows, don’t worry you won’t lose any places as everyone is in the same queue and only plonkers try to push past in a queue. Even elite XC races are a queue at the first trail section for everyone outside the top 20 or so… Just get used to it.

dovebiker

As I only ride CX intermittently, I don’t have the points to get gridded so have enjoyed the challenge of starting at the back – encountered some really odd behaviours by some who try and prevent me passing. Same riding my fatbike in MTB races, but as the track points skywards, it’s usually “Arrividerci!” from me!

ferrals
    Free Member

encountered some really odd behaviours by some who try and prevent me passing

Assuming your not lapping them and you are in the same category why would they make it easy for you to pass?

I’ll happily block the rider behind me through narrow singletrack, especially as my strength is climbing, if I can keep a competitor behind me on a technical descent (still not back up to full speed on descents after a bad crash a couple of years ago) it means I can often get a gap when it’s flat or uphill.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I love the argy bargy at the start of the race, it’s the most exciting bit! When else can 20 people race for a single gap without upsetting each other. Last man on the brakes can often get the hole shot.
    The bike handling skills up the front are pretty decent so a bit of shoulders and elbows are a giggle. I think this is compared to road racing where contact often precedes something deeply unpleasant.

singletrackmind

Its always easier to be overtaken than it is to overtake. Waiting in line to clear a singletrak section is a great way to lose places and time.
    In a team event this does matter , in a solo , not so much.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Being able to track stand at the start will give you a few feet headstart on your competitors as you are able to put the power down from the first pedal stroke.If there are railings at the side at the start I also use them to lean against to get the same benefit. It is all very well saying you can make the places up later in the race but I found that when I have been racing against guys I know are similar in speed to me if I start behind them I will never catch them up again. They have got through the inevitable first bottle neck way quicker and then have a minute or so headstart.
    One thing that does annoy me about racing here in Germany is that is acceptable to go screaming off before the start gun has gone off. 😐

schmiken

Lots of the UK commisaires will insist every rider has at least one foot down at the start – I know a couple of them will insist on it and then as soon as the foot touches the ground will fire the gun!

adsh
    Free Member

Racing for position off or near the front of the start line to avoid the queue helped me start to podium occasionally. The wait may be the same for everyone who is waiting but it doesn’t help you try and catch the leaders who aren’t. It’s a lot more painful to manage decline rather than negative splits but it’s more competitive (unless you really over do it)

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Mass start races / events… Your start line strategy?’ is closed to new replies.