Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Mason Definition anyone?
  • slowjo
    Free Member

Has anyone got one or done any serious miles on one?

I’m getting sort of Definition curious and wondered how they actually stack up from a ride, handling, speed perspective. I know the latter is ultimately determined by the ‘engine’ but…..

I’d probably be looking to use it as a replacement for a Super Six but the carbon lobby has done such a good job on me, I can’t decide whether it will be as fast and as much fun as a carbon bike. Sad really but there it is! :o)

ransos
    Free Member

Has anyone got one or done any serious miles on one?

Yes, and about 2,000 miles I would guess. It’s an absolutely gorgeous bike – used for club runs, audax, night rides, touring and RideLondon last week. It’s felt at home in every situation and is very comfortable. It possibly lacks the last ounce of snap I had with my Wilier but that was a full-on race geometry so not really a fair comparison.

slowjo
    Free Member

This is it you see….the Super Six is very much a race oriented frame but I no longer race, unless you count trying to thrash the pants off each other on not so social ‘social’ rides.

I am addicted to the acceleration and handling of the Six but it seems a little soul less to me. I assume, with a nice pair of carbon wheels (just my little indulgence) it would be as snappy and fast as you need in a non race environment.

ransos
    Free Member

Well, judging by my Garmin data it’s no slower than my Wilier (and the engine is a bit older and less fit these days!) so I wouldn’t worry about it. Dom Mason has pulled off quite a feat by making a bike that handles really nicely yet is happy with a couple of panniers and mudguards for a weekend tour.

slowjo
    Free Member

OK thanks, that’s been very helpful.

therevokid
    Free Member

+1 what ransos says … haven’t been able to fault mine no matter
    what I’ve ridden on.
    If you’re quick you can get the V2 fork for V1 prices too … 🙂

curto80
    Free Member

Stu Kerton from Road.cc is selling his – check his Twitter

slowjo
    Free Member

Saw that. But it is only baby sized! :o)

Think more like 60cm.

Gotama
    Free Member

I had a 60cm Definition, only sold due to a gammy leg putting what is hopefully a temporary halt to my road riding. Anyway, great bike. Comfortable but responsive when you want to put some effort in as well as being a lot of fun to descend as it was nice and stable when speeds picked up. Couldn’t fault it. Oh and as a side note the understated graphics with the lens blue colour looked stunning.

slowjo
    Free Member

I was thinking of pairing it up with a set of Hunt carbon wheels.

Might need to sell my Highball as well as the Six though…..

Ideally…..I’d like the Resolution but £1500 for a steel frame is hard for me to cope with! 😯

johnnystorm

Blimey, I thought you were after a Bokeh. Perhaps as well…. 😉

slowjo
    Free Member

No…that has been shelved in favour of the Definition. I’ll keep the 5T Disc as it is and that will cover the ‘gravel’ bases.

I hear you may be pulling the trigger on a new bike too……

johnnystorm

Aren’t I always… 🙄

No rush just yet.

sheck

I find mine is consistently faster and less comfortable than I expect it to be… However dropping the 700x30c tubeless tyres down to 70psi helps dramatically on Chilterns back lanes

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Mason Definition anyone?’ is closed to new replies.