Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Masking off frame for respray
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hello chaps,

After Argos Cycles’ turn around time has increased…. dropping off frame today, I’d have frame back at the start of February!

So, I’m going to have a local respray company do it for me.

How have people masked/blanked out bearing surfaces in the past?

Cheers

Ricks

binners

Just put an old bottom bracket in the frame. This protects your threads and the face of the frame. I’ve literally just got back from the LBS where i had to have the BB faced and the threads chased out.

I’d put the old BB in when I took the frame to be powder coated, but they had helpfully ‘taken off the bits you left on’ before doing it. D’oh!!!

rickon
    Free Member

Awesome.

The bb is a push-fit, so i’ll not have a spare hanging around 🙂

Although I’m going to leave the headset in, as it’s gash, and i might just replace the bb, or see if someone has a knackered one on here.

cheers for the help.

What about the bearing surfaces for the linkage? (its a full sus)

pinches
    Free Member

When i paint frames, i normally just use masking tape and trim the excess off with a scalpel. Sometimes i also make small cardboard circles and push them in as an interference fit, and then just push them out afterward.

binners

I reckon it’d be worth masking them off anyway, but the BB is the critical one because of the threads.

Anything you tend to put in with a hammer and a piece of wood (like I’ve just done with my headset) I wouldn’t think is that critcal 😀

Tracey

Roled up newspaper, works great

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Masking off frame for respray’ is closed to new replies.