Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Marzocchi 66 SL’s (06) questions
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What are they like? How do they perform? Are they reliable?

General views and opinions on them please

GoatKarma
    Free Member

Good forks IF you spend time setting them up. They are an absolute bitch to get set up correctly though(2 +ve, 1 -ve,1 par and probably another air chamber I’ve forgotton!). Ignore any pressure guidelines Marzocchi give you and figure it out yourself, or check mtbr forum for ideas.

Coil ones are better though/easier to get feeling great though.

66SL’s look nice if you get the white ones 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply.

Anyone else have anything to add?

ta

solamanda
    Free Member

I’ve used mine on a Nicolai UFO, Giant trance and now they reside on my holeshot 4x bike. They do require some understanding of the air chambers if you want to fiddle with their travel. They’re nearly as good as my RC2X 888s but lot lighter, I rate them highly.

julianwilson
    Free Member

they are heavy!! and chunky: same lowers as an 888 and make my pikes look like spindly supermarket bike forks in comparison.

Vortexracing

love mine go to mtbr for set-up tips. very good forks if you spend a little time on them.

not that heavy, only 0.2lb heavier than coil 426 pikes.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Sounds like they will be a similar weight to my Z1 Freerides.

Looking for some bigger forks for France this year, Ive been trying to find some 66 RCX2 cos I used to have a set and they were good.

Are the SL’s reliable? Ive heard horror stories about the 07’s but not the 06’s.

Im also guessing they have some sort of open oil bath system so you dont need to keep stripping them down and re lubing them unlike fox/rock shox

Cheers for the replies so far

PS

Solamanda, Ive seen your forks on different pics of your bikes and they always have different amounts of travel, is the travel adjustable?

solamanda
    Free Member

david, if you want reliable get the plain sl versions, not eta. Officially they are adjustable 170-150mm via the special negative air cartridge, however I like many others have got them to run fine down to 90mm. They do require more fettling to get them to work outside the official range but all you need is to adjust a few air chambers. Understanding how the fork works is very important.

goog
    Free Member

I’ve got some o6 66sl’s, great forks IME!

easy to set up and easy to service 8)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

These are the forks here: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3433351/

I cant see an ETA lever so Im assuming there the normal version.

I would be running them at 150mm of travel in France (want a bit extra than my current 130mm forks) and would probably sell them upon my return.

If there decent then I would possibly keep them (thats if I buy them in the first place)

Another chap has offered me some 06 VF2’s which maybe a better prospect since there coil sprung/open bath and will be cheaper.

I’m not to into fettling with suspension which is why I run some old Z1’s, so maybe the sl’s would be a bad idea.

Ta for the help

solamanda
    Free Member

Thats them, getting them to run at 150mm is a doddle. Infact they’re the first air forks I’ve managed to do a 10 min ‘workshop fettle’ when new and they didn’t need adjusting after riding.

goog
    Free Member

fettling ?

you only have to put some air in them

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Also, did you try them on your Dialled Alpine? If so, did the crown clear the downtube?

Cheers

solamanda
    Free Member

I bought them after I sold my alpine.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Marzocchi 66 SL’s (06) questions’ is closed to new replies.