Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Marzocchi 55r….should i?
  • gonzy
    Free Member

need a new fork but dont want to spend silly money on silly forks that need a service every time you look at them….love my marzocchis….LBS has offered me a pair of marzocchi 55r’s for £400 but will do me my usual discount which would bring the price even lower….should i go for them? anyone got a pair..if so what are they like to use?….anyone not got a pair of them…opinions please!! 😀

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

They are £400 most places – bit cheaper if you look on the google

ddmonkey

I have 55 Ti which are AMAZING, the R’s would be a fair bit heavier

gonzy
    Free Member

They are £400 most places

true but i have a very good relationship with the LBS so they would be willing to offer a substantial discount on them…

the R’s would be a fair bit heavier

cant quite stretch to the Ti version…(well i could but the wife would kill me!! and it would blow my budget for the list of other upgrades i have planned)…may go for the Cr version though depending on the discount available…not too worried about the weight as i was quite happy to run a pair of 05 66rc’s on my previous bike…

scruff
    Free Member

I sold my older coil lyrics and bought some 55CRs 3rd hand but as newish. Tiny bit lighter and as stiff as lyrics but alot more lively. I had to faff with oil levels in the air side to get them to ramp up to avoid bottoming out as more air was just reducing sag and still bottoming. Now Ive found a sweet spot with more oil in the air chamber, a bit of compression damping and 25% sag. They do bob a bit on climbs but as I dont like forks overly damped I’ll leave it, they are very smooth & controlled on rough sections and seem well put together.

However, I only bought them as they have black legs and black stanchions…

gonzy
    Free Member

they have black legs and black stanchions.

the ones i’m looking at are black lowers with gold stanchions….look like they’ve been kashima coated…

scruff
    Free Member

Thems the new ones.

elliott-20
    Free Member

Merlin do them for a smidge over £300.

(When they finally get them in stock again 👿 )

jimthelad
    Free Member

I have the brand new 55CRs put down to 150mm. Super plush, lovely lovely things. A bit lighter than the 55Rs too. Do it.

gonzy
    Free Member

£359.99….call that a smidge?! 😯

elliott-20
    Free Member

gonzy – Member
    £359.99….call that a smidge?!

Calm down. If you include the 10% when you add them to the basket = £324 – That’s not too bad IMO

honourablegeorge – Member
    £269 here with the extra 10% off

How did you get to that price?

gonzy
    Free Member

hmmmm….makes it interesting (if i’m prepared to wait for them to be back in stock at Merlin)…but will depend on what my LBS can offer me discount-wise…my current forks are dying so i need them replacing ASAP…also looking for a new shock too so will see if they can do me a deal for both..

jk1980
    Free Member

Interesting thread, I’ve heard the 55R is pretty good but heavy.

I personally don’t care about the weight & specifically want a coil fork, want to avoid air. I went for a coil lyrik in the end, but considered the 55R. I’m curious if there’s any review comparisons between the coil versions of these forks?

elliott-20
    Free Member

Decent reviews of the new ‘zocchis are thin on the ground. I’ve been eyeing them up for months but waiting fo r some substantial reviews first.

hora
    Free Member

Being a tight/cut-corners **** I ummed arred over these but then I thought for the money just buy something decent that works elsewhere.

gonzy
    Free Member

i guess i’m the guinea pig then… 😯

richmtb

I quite fancy the 55CR’s as a long fork option for my 5 spot.

They are one of the few 1 and 1/8 long travel forks still available

donkeydoctor
    Free Member

Had to do it, back in at Merlin £323

elliott-20
    Free Member

Damnit, must resist.

DD – Let us know once fitted and ridden.

gonzy
    Free Member

Had to do it, back in at Merlin £323

are you sure? just had a look and it still says out of stock for both the 55r and 55cr…

PJM1974
    Free Member

I really like the look of these…Good old Marzocchi feel at a price to make Fox & Rockshox weep.

scruff
    Free Member

I’d advise the CRs so you can reduce a bit of the bobbing.

gonzy
    Free Member

i wanted the 55r as its already set at 160mm which would be perfect for my frame, but i’m seriously tempted to go for the 55cr instead…as i’ll have the option of reducing the travel from 170mm to 150mm…

cant wait for saturday to come!! 😀

donkeydoctor
    Free Member

are you sure? just had a look and it still says out of stock for both the 55r and 55cr..

Merlin emailed a stock alert yesterday and they are heading this way via UPS.

richmtb

Anyone know if you could set the travel of the 55CR at 160mm,

Just a different sized spacer shirley?

honourablegeorge

jk1980 – Member
    Interesting thread, I’ve heard the 55R is pretty good but heavy

They’re heavy compared to a Float or an air Lyrik, but only about 100g heavier than a Coil Lyrik or a Van – small price to pay given the pricing.

gonzy
    Free Member

right, well….i bought the 55cr eventually on saturday…was going to go for the 55r but decided not to as they are set to 160mm but with the 55cr i at least have the option of reducing the travel from 170mm to 150mm…also they are lighter ….actually i’m pleasantly surprised at how light they are…..not put them on yet so i dont know how they ride but two of they guys in the shop have a pair and cant stop raving on about how good they are…

tomaso
    Free Member

A mate has 55r on his bike for the last 8 months and has had no problems and enjoys their performance and bombproof build. I don’t think they have the finess of the bigger budget Marzocchis but they get the job done.

gonzy
    Free Member

i think i’ve got a bit of a marzocchi fetish….these are my 8th pair… 😆

AndreyE
    Free Member

+1 for 55CRs, did what Scruff did: added some Fox Float Fluid to the air chamber and they’re now very, very good.

And I’m quite spoilt by the feel of BlackBox Dual Air Revs (Team/Ti versions). Marz seem as good but obviously stiffer at some weight penalty which I personally don’t mind.

Could never get air Lyriks to work as good, have had two pairs of Solo Air in the past with Mission Control damping. Always felt a bit too sticky/dumb.

gonzy
    Free Member

right,
    forks are now on, new stem and bars too, new cranks and b/b and 180mm rotor on the back…rides pretty well just let down by the knackered rear shock….still waiting for the replacement shock to arrive at my LBS

elliott-20
    Free Member

Looks nice.

Are they still set at 170? How do they feel?

gonzy
    Free Member

still set at 170mm….they feel pretty good but only been out on one ride so far so they have yet to bed in…once the new shock arrives the bike will get a good thrashing!! 😀

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Marzocchi 55r….should i?’ is closed to new replies.