Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Marzocchi 55 … reliability really that bad ?
  • ash

Question as per the title really.

Looking at possibly getting some new forks for my All-MountainFreecoreLite(TM) rig, and was thinking of 55’s as there’s some ok deals on.

However, there’s obviously been a LOT of horror stories about poor reliability as the result of production problems.

What issues have people been having. Have these been resolved? Has anyone had a 100% good experience?

Was looking in particular at the 2008 55ETA

Would really appreciate some FIRST HAND input.

Cheers in advance!

a11y

Great fork, when it works.

My 55 ATA2s live on my second bike (a Giant Reign). After using them on approx 20 rides, mostly trail centres for fun sessions, the TST cartridge broke.

They were fixed quickly under warranty by Windwave who fitted a revised TST cartridge and a replacement ATA2 cartridge, according to the note they arrived back with. They’re now working as good as before.

I’m happy with mine but not sure I’d recommend them for the reliability issues which I’m sure you’ve read about, but they really do work very well and are a great cheaper alternative to RS Lyriks, Fox 36s etc.

HTH.
    ally

scruff
    Free Member

Bloke in Welsh LBS had some for sale but told me not to buy them due to some **** internal grub screw coming loose so forks lose the travel.

Kuco

I always defended them until mine went yesterday 🙁

solamanda
    Free Member

Ash, I’ve been running some 2006 66SL’s (non-ata) and they’re bloody good/light. Much lighter than the ATA model you have (about 6lbs). There was someone selling a set on the classifieds. If you can cope without ATA they’d be ideal for you. You can set the travel anywhere between 100-170 travel using an air pump.

glenp
    Free Member

In the new Windwave catalogue they stress that Marz have tightened-up their quality control for 2009 – of course it is easy to say that. Could mean that the 2009 forks are the way to go.

james
    Free Member

Though I’ve not used either, I thought (from the numerous bits and bobs that pop up on here) that it was the ATA/TST models that had the problems, and the ETA versions were alright. Could be wrong though

freeridenick
    Free Member

I have bught the ETA version, (although not used them yet!) from what I have read the ETA are OK, its the ATA with the problem. I am hoping anyway!!

ash

Solomanda, if you’re talking ETA, then yeah I do need it really for the intended purpose… need to be able to switch travel quickly for “up long climb, down long descent” type stuff

Have got a set of 07 Lyriks U-Turn (coil) already but there’s something the matter with THEM now, again 🙁

ash

Scruff – do you happen to know if they were the ETA’s ??

higgo
    Free Member

I have 2008 55ATA2s.

First time they went back was they weren’t getting full travel – even without air in them I couldn’t get the last three inches, they just stopped dead. Also the travel crept down. All internals replaced (with 2008 bits). The chap in my LBS told me that his had also been back, as had every set of 55s (regardless of ETA, ATA, ATA2) the shop had sold.

Second time they went back it was because they’d collapsed to show only about an inch of stanchion. All internals replaced with 2009 bits. They’ve been fine since. Hopefully they’ll stay that way. When they work they’re excellent forks.

If you do buy some I would strongly recommend getting them through a LBS. I’ve had other forks (RockShox mainly) from web-sellers but I’m really glad I got these from a real shop who can sort things out for me

ash

bloody hell, thanks for that higgo

james
    Free Member

“I’ve had other forks (RockShox mainly) from web-sellers but I’m really glad I got these from a real shop who can sort things out for me “

Web sellers can sort them out too, and because the sale falls under distance selling laws, they should pay the postage both ways as well, whereas you have to keep going into the shop. Though if you’ve got a decent LBS, its seems less hassle to take them in rather than having to box up and post them off and whatnot

scruff
    Free Member

Ash ATA I think, they where white. Or black.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Given what you do for a living and where – I would have thought that a fork that can be completely user serviceable with no sealed cartidges inside would be the way to go. That implies either RC/RC2/RC3 coil Marzocchis or Rock Shox (not sure what happened with your Lyrics?).

That all said, if you’ve got Solamanda working for you next year, and you want to give him something to do of an evening rather than annoying the punters over dinner :wink:, then you could always get a couple of pairs of 55s so you have one working set whilst he’s fixing the others…

rockitman

55ATA2’s are currently back with windwave for the second time. Bought them last May. I have now solved the problem – I bought some Lyriks, will use the Marzocchi’s on my second bike. Really regret buying them now. Same horror stories as above really. They just seize…

a11y

Mine’s the same story as Higgo really – I’ve been told it’s 2009 internals in mine now. Fingers crossed that’ll be more reliable. 3 year warranty thank god…

rockitman

At what point (if any) do you think you can claim they aren’t “fit for purpose” and ask for your money back? If they break 3 times in a year?

MrNutt
    Free Member

I run 66’s SL1 ATA’s, they’ve been fixed by windwave and have not let me down, they’re superb, I can’t fault em!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

rockitman – Member

At what point (if any) do you think you can claim they aren’t “fit for purpose” and ask for your money back? If they break 3 times in a year?

first time they break you can have your money back under sale of goods act assuming manufacturing fault. This 3 times in a year stuff is a myth invented by retailers, ( there may be some case law behind it but I can find no refereance to any} google “sale of goods act”

timber

Can’t give any personal experience, but the rider most missing from our group rides is the one with 55’s, either because they’re being sent to windwave, with windwave, on way back from windwave or just gone tits up again – he now has RS and we see him more often

Pauly

Coincidence that Marzocchi production is now in China rather than Italy? I think not.
    Word has it that they’re dropping all the TST, ATA guff and concentrating on making good forks again for 2010.
    I would consider Fox before I’d buy Marzocchi just now. That’s saying something.

Rockshox all the way.

solamanda
    Free Member

That all said, if you’ve got Solamanda working for you next year, and you want to give him something to do of an evening rather than annoying the punters over dinner :wink:, then you could always get a couple of pairs of 55s so you have one working set whilst he’s fixing the others…

Hehe. Unfortunately I won’t be out there for the season. I don’t think we shouldn’t mention my fork servicing to Ash, (I still blame the lack of a spanner!).

I think another set of Lyriks would do you well, but this time give them a service more than once a million feet of descending ;o)

It’s a shame marzocchi don’t produce a suitable reliable fork. The bushes and seals on my 888s have just died, after 3 years use including 15 weeks in the alps! When they get it right, they get it very right.

ash

that’s right, it is such a darn shame about the 55s….

I’ve had nothing but good experience with the many AM and 66 forks I’ve used until now

Thanks for the input everyone… no 55s for me

hora
    Free Member

Well after previous Mazz fork failures-Ive gone for a set of used (broken) 55’s. Straight off to Windwave to get the TST2 replaced…although no shop backup I’ll soon see within the 3month(?) guarantee period whether the 09 cartridge works or breaks..

freeridenick
    Free Member

55 ETAs – fine so far after 3 days of welsh riding, ie. all weathers….

Only just realized that the air chamber is accessed when you pop the ETAtop cap off! rode just on the spring for 3 days!

jamesca
    Free Member

has anyone had 09 55’s go wrong?

turnip
    Free Member

5-6 of mine broke within a few rides. Just about to send off another set.

Demo fleet spends most of its time broken!

higgo
    Free Member

I’m not sure I should tempt fate by saying this but….

Mine with the new ’09 gubbins have been working fine for a good while now. They’ve done much more riding than I got out of the last two sets (well same fork, different internals).

If they stay this way I’ll be happy. It’s a great fork when it’s working.

jimmy

do 09’s still have ETA? They’re the fork I want to get but have questioned the reliability, too.

hora
    Free Member

Am I doing something wrong here? Just received the 55’s back with replaced TST cartridge and (forks not on bike) I thought I’d check the lockout lever (it doesnt work).

Am I missing something?

higgo
    Free Member

hora said… Am I missing something?

the bike?
    the instructions?
    the point?

Are you a human dynamometer (in addition to your other talents)?
    Fit fork to bike, see how fork feels on bike.

freeridenick
    Free Member

jimmy. looking at the 09 line up there is no longer an ETA version.

freeridenick
    Free Member

well my 55 etas broke in the alps on the first day, so I had to ride all week with about 30mm of travel! Currently in the post to windwave…..will update when i know more.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Forks back from Windwave with a note saying a new "TST evo cartridge" anyone know if this would be a revised 09 ?? it says it is a 165mm cartridge whcih is strange as the forks were originally 160mm, i am presuming its the 09 because of this??

anyway, excellent turnaround by windwave – time will tell as over the next few months i will put them through their paces in the lakes and spain.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I'm thinking of some 09 55Rs as they look pretty cheap and I'm not fussed about that much adjustability. Is it just the posh ones that break?

RHSno2
    Free Member

Mine worked for about a year. Went back, got 09 cartridge in and have been working well. I don't get FULL travel but I definately get 95%.

Working a treat though. Some of the best forks I've used. Infact. The best I have used.

RHSno2
    Free Member

Mine worked for about a year. Went back, got 09 cartridge in and have been working well. I don't get FULL travel but I definately get 95%.

Working a treat though. Some of the best forks I've used. Infact. The best I have used.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

leggyblonde- the 55R's look like a good bet, they were introduced as a ghetto version of the 55, but if you read the blurb Marz are marketing it as simple, minimal adjustment, low maintenance as they dont have any of the TLA's that seem to be failing. Should be reminiscent of old Marz ie. fit, set up, forget.

I'm kicking myself for not snapping up a pair of new 140mm 55R's that mud dock were selling on ebay for £225, another shop is asking £199 for a used set now….

higgo
    Free Member

It's a shame innit – these will go down in history as 'one of the most unreliable forks of all time' when they could have been 'one of the best performing forks of all time'

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Marzocchi 55 … reliability really that bad ?’ is closed to new replies.