Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Marzocchi 55 RC3 Ti 2011
  • Stu661
    Free Member

Thinking about get the above forks, used to have a pair of shivers on the downhill bike years ago and they where supper smooth. Sick of my Fox 36’s letting me down.

Does anyone have or used the new 2011 version? How are they? Have they sorted out the reliability issues. Have read a few good reviews but I am always a bit dubious about some mag reviews.

seanodav
    Free Member

Buy them you wont be dissapointed 😉

Stu661
    Free Member

Have you tried them then?

Does anyone know what the standard spring is?

seanodav
    Free Member

I’m running 2010 55 rc3 ti’s, same fork as far as im aware?
    My weight is about 10.5 stone kitted up, im running no coil preload or air at all.
    To be honest spring is maybe just slightly to heavy for me, but only just as ive had full travel from them often on biggish drops.
    Had no trouble at all from them, they just work.
    They do however take a little while to break in, they just seem to get better and better over a few month.
    Hth sean.

Stu661
    Free Member

Thanks for that, sounds like they are getting back to the good old days. Will have a look around and see what deals are going on the tapered steerer ones.

seanodav
    Free Member
    seanodav
    Free Member

hmmm maybe not, feedbacks not great?

lardhelliwell
    Free Member
    Stu661
    Free Member

Yea feedback not the best and I don’t think purple forks and a green frame will look good. Really would prefer the tapered steerer to save me getting a new crown race.

Sean do you know if it is possible to get lighter springs, had a quick look but couldn’t see any.

seanodav
    Free Member

Sorry stu im not sure mate, what weight are you? surely not much lighter than me?

Finkill

seanodav, if you find them a little firm you can soften them up a bit by compressing the fork and then pressing down on the air valve. This will create a slight vacume when the fork is extended and make them a tiny bit softer.

I have the 2011 damper retro-fitted in an older pair of 55R’s and the RC3 damper is amazing.

seanodav
    Free Member

Thanks finkill might try that, however i quite like them a bit firm and i do get full travel on occasion especially when it goes a bit wrong 😉
    They have become loads more supple with use but took a while.
    I love mine especially not having to worry about them for 3 year

GEDA
    Free Member

Whats the best setup people have. I got a pair and am 11.5 stone but they just seem a little stiff to me. I am running them with a little air as when I let it all out they did not seem to be as smooth. I have only one click of coil preload and 5 clicks? of compression adjustment but to tell you the truth I can’t tell if this makes any difference.

Any tips for set up? How do you work out the high Low speed compression settings?? How long does it take to break in?

Stu661
    Free Member

Hi Sean, no I’m about 11.5 stone in all my gear so going by what you said the standard spring should be fine.

I can always try what Finkill says if they still feel a bit stiff.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got the older 2007 Z1 RC2, the springs a bit soft, almost needs too much air and they get a bit stiff.

Compression damping took ages to get right though, at first I was bouncing around and they were always bottoming out, running it quite firm feels wrong in the car park and i was convinced they were wrong even over smoother bits of trail, but once they get going through bigger rocks and drops they’re just so controlled, feels harsh, but they only use enough travel to maintain control, not make it comfortable, definitely a fork for going flat out with, they don’t like mincing around .

seanodav
    Free Member

Stu the spring will be fine for you, think you would be able to use them from the box without any preload or air, should be just right.
    Dont try softening them up for a good while, as said earlier they take ages to bed in and just get better and better over time

seanodav
    Free Member

@ geda, try backing off everything, preload, air, maybe 1 or 2 clicks compression. play with rebound till that feels right then see how they go from there.
    Mine are about 6 month old now and im guessing took about 4 of them to bed in.

GEDA
    Free Member

I did that to start with. The coil compression is right off and I let all the air out. I put a tiny bit more air in though as it seems to make thing smoother (So it just registered on the shock pump gauge). Any good tips for testing out the correct settings for the high/low compression as I know it is meant to affect how the bike responds to stuff at speed but I can’t really tell a huge difference.

seanodav
    Free Member

Would think the more towards hard you set it the firmer the fork is gonna feel on slow hits, which is why mine has hardly any.
    Felt like i was hardly moving the fork when i increased mine

Stu661
    Free Member

The best way I have found to try out different compression settings is do a good few runs on a section of downhill trying out different setting one click at a time. Low speed is more to do with how your weight acts on the fork, so if you feel it diving in corners or not staying up on steep stuff a click or two of low speed will help. High speed is more for the big fast hits on the trail.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I did it by running it fully open then making a big change, not fully closed but enough to be really noticeable. That way when you make more runs fine tuning the settings at least you know what your looking for.

Although saying that the guy helping me was twiddling the rebound and doing car park tests thinking its the compression, proves 2 things, 1 people talk bollocks occasionally even if they’re well qualified to say the right thing, 2 adjusting one thing affects another, so upping the compression means its got less to rebound so you can add more damping.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Marzocchi 55 RC3 Ti 2011’ is closed to new replies.