Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Marzocchi 55 RC3 Evo V2 Ti 2014 forks, can I shorten the travel?
  • stugus
    Free Member

Evening all,
    Does anyone know if these forks can shortened? They’re 170mm travel out of the box but my Turner 5-spot will apparently take a 160mm fork max.

Ideally, I’d like to drop them to 150 or 160.

Either that or suggest me a 160mm travel max fork with 20mm bolt thru. Oh, this is for a 26inch wheel.

Any suggestions?
    ta-everso!
    stu

chakaping
    Free Member

No cost effective way of doing it afaik

But the fork is so good you should get a new frame instead.

stugus
    Free Member

I’ve not got the fork yet. I’ve seen a good deal on a set but if they’re just that bit too long then no dice.

Was just trying to get another season out of the 5spot with a fresh set of forks.

chakaping
    Free Member

I saw the same deal I think.

Made me consider going back to a 26in enduro bike tbh.

stugus
    Free Member

Yup, very good prices out there. especially for 26inchers. Not ready to part with the turner just yet, I’ve got a 160mm travel marzocchi fork on it now, the 55r which is fine but wanted a change.

Part of me thinks how much difference will 10mm make, especially with a bit of extra sag to compensate. Guess limits are there for a reason though.

stugus
    Free Member

Hmm, a-c difference is 9mm between my current 55r and the 55-rc3-evo-v2-ti. Plus I’ve an internal lower headset race and could use a little more sag.

Sorely tempted.

toys19
    Free Member

where?

chakaping
    Free Member

Offset bushings could lower your bb a touch more too?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I have the 44 RC3ti on my 456ti and the 66 RC3ti on my Patriot. They are fantastic forks.

I haven’t tried it personally but I believe you can make all the RC3 ti range ride lower in their travel by using negative pressure in the air assist chamber (i.e let all the air out whilst the fork is compressed)

nixie

Winstanleys are cheap for these. There are no nice ways of shortening them. I in the end decided just to stick a 350cr (650b fork) on mine and alter its travel to 150mm so it fit the frame.

hora
    Free Member

Evening. Concentrate on the a2c – look at your current v these. Tbh if its 10mm diff its neither here nor there. I ran 120mm forks on a 80mm Rocky Mountain Vertex years ago and I didnt die.

tall_martin

Hi,

You can push them down, let all the air out and they will run around 160mm. I tried that and it felt, odd. Not sure what was wrong, but just odd.

However after 3 years on my most used bike I serviced them this week. The oil was a little black and they are felling perfect again.

The only thing they have ever done wrong as a massive clang when they bottomed out on the black at antur sintog when I got some thing very wrong.

Other than that 3 years of trouble free excellent riding.

chakaping
    Free Member

They don’t make ’em like that any more – sadly.

al2000

You can shorten them by adding a spacer to the top of the negative spring, had this done to my 44RC3’s.

Plenty of info around – have a search on mtbr.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Marzocchi 55 RC3 Evo V2 Ti 2014 forks, can I shorten the travel?’ is closed to new replies.