Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Marzocchi 44 forks
  • Rickos
    Free Member

Anyone got any feedback after last years torrid time with 55’s? I’m looking at the 44 ATA Micro jobbies with the 15mm axle.

BoardinBob

From what I’ve read, the ATA can be problematic and MZ are doing away with it next year.

RicB

The 44 got torn apart in a recent magazine review (MBUK I think). More flexy than some standard qr forks and several control knobs fell off. It got either 5 or 6 /10

MZ are apparently going back to open bath, coil sprung forks for 2010. Although with a Ti spring they won’t be cheap so still nobody will buy them – bit daft really, they should have aimed at undercutting RS and Fox.

Rickos – Reba maxle light 120mm?

TheDoog
    Free Member

I’ve just fitted some 08 55 ata’s with 09 internals in them. Still bedding them in a bit but no probs with the ata, tho i suspect im never gonna get the specified travel out of them. I had a concern that there was play between leg and stancion at full extension but i’m assured this is normal. And internet research backs this up. Nice fork, but only bought em cos i got em cheap from distributors windwave.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Wow the Marzocchi brand has really fallen off a cliff hasn’t it.

When I got back into riding in 2004 they were the forks to have if you didn’t want Fox or wanted reliability. Then RS brought out the Reba/Pike/Rev, Marzocchi moved their production to the Far East and it was seemingly all over for them.

richc
    Free Member

It looks like Marzocchi management jumped on the cost saving bandwagon without realizing the risk to their brand name.

sofatester
    Free Member

“MZ are apparently going back to open bath, coil sprung forks for 2010”

So we will be paying £500+ for 10 year old technology, great.

Eldrik
    Free Member

And are now trying to rebuild it under the new owners with a revised QC process and 3 year warranty (I believe) on 2009 forks…

I wish them luck as my 2006 MX Comps and 2005 Marathon Race have been great.

Didn’t they only outsource the production of their lower end forks to SR/Suntour though, or was it for the entire range?

hora
    Free Member

Rickos, it’ll be a false-saving. Don’t do it. Marzocchi have a long way in rebuilding their reputation- alot longer than Manitou.

Going backways to older designs with spangly-paintjobs for MORE money also insults customers.

Marzocchi, the new Manitou..

TheDoog
    Free Member

Its time for the big three (Fox, RS, MZ) to stop being complacent i think.
    Companies like Magura, Bos and to a lesser extent Society are rapidly catching up in terms of quality and reliability.

hora
    Free Member

Bos- will be an interesting one to watch- air and coil for 2010?

RicB

Hmm I’m not sure the Zocci strategy is a bad thing.

The only new fork technologies that seem worth having are dual-ported rebound and compression circuits that allow the rider to adjust high and low speed compression and rebound independently. These are fairly straightforward and usually use shim stacks, sometimes externally-adjustable shim stacks.

A 20mm bolt through, open bath damped fork with adjustable rebound and compression shim stacks, coil spring, decent seals, available in 140mm and beefed up 160mm versions, 2Kg ish weight would be a fantastic fork.

Things like pneumatic travel adjust (Talas, 2 step etc) aren’t reliable and just add extra seals to go pop.

retro83
    Free Member

I’d like a fork with:

[list=1][*]u-turn style or internally adjustable travel
    [*]Open bath in both legs.
    [*]Damper with shimmed rebound+compression, externally adjustable freebleed on both for low speed adjustment and easy to customise shim stack for the high speed stuff
    [*]Coil sprung with easy to change springs
    [*]20mm axle with maxle/qr20 type of thing
    [*]replaceable steerer
    [/list]

come on zoke!!

kimbers

dirt mag say they rate the 09 55rc3s above the current fox van 36s

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I think the 55 ATA and 5 micro ATA are different models. Bikeradar criticise the 55 micro ATA, but the 55 ATA they are OK with.

lyons
    Free Member

My old 2004 888's and 05/06 66's are still some of the best forks ive ever ridden. If thats the technology and damping they are going back to, then thats aa good thing as far as im concerned

nasher
    Free Member

I have had a quick go on the 55RC3, 55RV and the 44RC3

And they felt nice. I am about to get the 55RV and the 66RC3 for alpine guide use so watch out for a review soon.

Problem for marzocchi is that everyone will wait for the 2011 models after seeing what the relaibility and performance of the new 2010 models are like.

If they turn out to be great and with a 3 year warranty they will be the forks to beat…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I'm presently considering 44ATAs (140) for my TranceX. The plan being to remove the uber-light F120s and put them on my hardtail (which currently has a weight TORA uturn). Can't be bothered with rebuild the front wheel with a bolt through

Evans

Merlin have a Revelation Race 140mm for £299, which is the alternative.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Marzocchi 44 forks’ is closed to new replies.