Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Marzipan as riding fuel
  • igm

Ok some people hate it but I like it – the marzi-haters don’t need to tell me they don’t like it.

But as riding fuel? I mean it’s basically nut paste and sugar so it should be about right? And you can tear lumps of it off to scoff.

So for the marzi-lovers amongst us, decent riding fuel?

shermer75
    Free Member

I don’t care if it’s good nutritionally or not, I’m in!! 🙂

convert

Yep, used to use it and thought it was good. Only snag was I couldn’t resist nibbling at the block when not on a ride too!

Switched years ago to drinking Allsports winter training formula and rarely need to eat when that’s what’s in my bottles.

igm

CoOp visited. Marzipan now in the bag for tonight.

fridge
    Free Member

Slice of marzipan between two Garibaldi biscuits. Biscuits balance the sweetness, marzipan balances the dryness; win-win.

prawny

Is marzipan injectable? Omnomnom

muddyground
    Free Member

It’s rubbish as ride food.

Buy a block, by the time I get home it has all gone. I’m so slow up hills now, all because of the added belly mass 🙂

si77

These are the epitome of marzipan based nomage:

Alas, not readily available in this neck of the woods. 😥

iainc

Someone well known, I think, Graeme Obree, swore by this as ride fuel. He wound up other riders when they asked what it was and replied it was lard, which they then went out and bought 🙂

iolo
    Free Member

wash it down with some warm flat Coke a Cola for the super turbo boost. Do this at the end of a ride as, once the extra energy is gone, you will have none left.

mcnultycop

My inability to not to confuse marzipan and temazepam often get me into grief.

slowoldman

The best is Niederegger from Lubeck.

somafunk

As ianc says it is the prefered ride fuel for Graeme Obree, seemed to work for him but i hate the stuff

cloudnine
    Free Member

Marzipan contains Cyanide!!
    If you stuffed down about 12kgs of it you would die…

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Lidl make a variety of sizeable marzipan bars coated in bitter chocolate. I’m torn between their straight marzipan filling and the one with a pineapple mix.

They seldom make it from the supermarket door to the car door. 😳

kcr
    Free Member

I got some almond energy bars from Decathlon for a long ride that worked well, but were basically marzipan, so I think I’ll try just cutting up a bar of the yellow stuff next time.

takisawa2

Aldi do a really nice Marzipan log, with a cake around it.
    Stollen.

Dyffers
    Free Member

Love marzipan. Tried it on a day ride years ago, 200g cut into cubes. The next day…SPOTS! Never again 🙄

convert

Marzipan contains Cyanide!!
    If you stuffed down about 12kgs of it you would die…

Now I love marzipan, but if I managed to trough 12kg of it I would be pleading to die and the cyanide might be doing me a favour!

shermer75
    Free Member

Lidl make a variety of sizeable marzipan bars coated in bitter chocolate. I’m torn between their straight marzipan filling and the one with a pineapple mix.

*plans a Lidl visit for tomorrow*

Kryton57

iolo – Member once the extra energy is gone, you will have none left.

😐

shermer75
    Free Member

They seldom make it from the supermarket door to the car door.

Marzipan bar update: couldn’t find these at Lidl but I have just found some that fit the description at Aldi.

Moral learnt – any amount of searching is worth it if there is a chance of some marzipan at the end of it 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

Yep, I use marzipan a lot. Also used it many years ago when Alpine climbing (mountaineering not riding up roads) as it doesn’t freeze in the way that chocolate bars do.

shermer75
    Free Member

I am currently slaughtering these Aldi marzipan bars one after the other, and I have no intention of riding anywhere. Does that help?

wilko1999
    Free Member

Aldi marzipan with chocolate coating?! I’m on my way to Aldi right now…

stevious

Don’t overdo it. I used it as fuel for a Mountain Marathon once and gave myself insane stomach cramps.

aikon
    Free Member

The best is Niederegger from Lubeck.

Aaargh they have an online store….. Marzipan heaven…

shermer75
    Free Member

stevious – Member
    Don’t overdo it. I used it as fuel for a Mountain Marathon once and gave myself insane stomach cramps.

Yeah, I just kept going until I got a headache. Gonna have another one in a bit

benp1

Aldi do the chocolate covered marzipan bars too. hmmm, I need to buy a couple for a trip coming up soon

Maybe also some stroop waffles

benp1

ARGH! Double post

crazy-legs

Take a date (stoned).
    Wrap it in marzipan.

Hey presto, instant bite sized ride food.

mattbee

How does being stoned help with the date?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

No you put the marzipan IN the unstoned date!

Oh I hadn’t thought about it as fuel .. maybe good for my next Ironman as I can’t stomach any more figs after the last one!!!!!!

I thought they only sold those chocolate coated marzipan bars at Christmas, do Aldi or Lidl actually have them in at present?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

They seldom make it from the supermarket door to the car door.
    Marzipan bar update: couldn’t find these at Lidl but I have just found some that fit the description at Aldi.

Moral learnt – any amount of searching is worth it if there is a chance of some marzipan at the end of it

I made the same journey with the same predictable outcome. I think Lidl only sell it at Christmas and Easter. The Aldi Praline and Marzipan chocolate covered bar is good. Not so keen on the Rum and Raisin variety

wilko1999
    Free Member

Bought some of the plain chocolate covered bars today from Aldi and I can confirm that they are lush, as we say ‘yer in Gloucestershire

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Marzipan as riding fuel’ is closed to new replies.