Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Mary Townley Loop – how well signposted is it?
  • singletracksurfer

got a map, do I need directions as well?

FOG

A bit hit and miss really. Some bits are v. well signed but others not so. Some signs are in less than ideal locations or are particularly tiny at least thats my excuse for doing an extra 5 miles at one point.

singletracksurfer

ah thanks. which section(s) do I need to keep an extra keen eye?

Also, how good is it as a ride?

lev
    Free Member

What is it marked as on the OS map? I could only find the Burnley way.

hughjass
    Free Member

What is it marked as on the OS map?

On the OL21 map it is marked as the Pennine Bridleway .

MrSparkle

You need to keep your eyes skinned at times. Be careful round Summit and Deerplay.

trio25
    Free Member

On the whole not too bad, there were the odd points where I had to look. But I put it on my garmin forerunner and only needed to check the map at one point. Choose a good day and enjoy!

pantsonfire
    Free Member

I printed this out on several sheets of A4 cut it down to size and followed it no problem didnt need any notes or Gps as several have said most of its signposted okay and where it is a bit vague the map gets you on right track

http://www.idonohoe.com/mary_map_580.htm

singletracksurfer

thanks, sounds like i should be ok. If I’m not posting on here in a couple of weeks look out for me on the moors.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

This is the website the maps from some nice pics to show you what your in for. Are you having a go in doing it in one day, I did it last year in bl**dy foul weather took my poor bum about 2 weeks to recover.

http://www.idonohoe.com/mountian_bike9.htm

terrahawk
    Free Member

Do not follow signs that say “Public Bridleway” – this is the wrong way.
    ONLY follow Pennine Bridleway signs, usually accompanied by a blue..er..thing.

Be VERY careful at Summit. The sign points across the road and down the hill, this is the Pennine Bridleway South- if you end up at Hollingworth Lake you’ve gone the wrong way.
    Have fun.

hughjass
    Free Member

Be VERY careful at Summit

The MTL is a loop off the Pennine Bridleway and you get signs for both at the Summit.

terrahawk
    Free Member

“The MTL is a loop off the Pennine Bridleway and you get signs for both at the Summit.”

You’re right of course, but the sign for the MTL isn’t immediately obvious from the angle you approach it if you ride the loop clockwise.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Mary Townley Loop – how well signposted is it?’ is closed to new replies.