Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Mary Townley Loop at the Weekend – Advice needed
  • topangarider
    Free Member

Bizaarre as it may sound – I’ve never ridden around this area of the country before, so any info on the loop would be good – including the inevitable……….

……..which tyres?

Jones Mud X Rear and Jones ACX front

or Maxxis Larsen f&r?

Cheers

big_n_daft
    Free Member

take someone to open gates for you

trails should be drying out so mud tyres not required, larsens may be a little optimistic though

better local trails are available

or do this

Mary Townley Loop (PENNINE BRIDLEWAY MOUNTAIN BIKE CHALLENGE – SUNDAY 13 SEPTEMBER 2009) http://www.rpmrt.org.uk/userfiles/MaryTownleyentryform2009.pdf

trio25
    Free Member

Great trail, should have dried out loads in the last few days. Point about gates above is a good one. I would say no to mud tyres there is enough rocky stuff around and if the muddy stuff is muddy you will be pushing anyway – well I would be!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

You’ll have loads of daylight so take it easy, enjoy the views and refuel regularly.

topangarider
    Free Member

Cheers guys – heard about the gates. There’ll be a few of us so hopefully spread out enough to take it in turns with the gates. Either that or we’ll bunny hop them!!

Don’t worry about refuelling – we’ve made a note of the pubs!

hughjass
    Free Member

Been out on the trails above Hebden today and they are very dry. :mrgreen:

topangarider
    Free Member

Just looked at the forecast on Metcheck for Sat – NOT dry!

How quick does it turn gloopy round those parts?

hughjass
    Free Member

How quick does it turn gloopy round those parts?

It wont turn gloopy on the MTL, mostly hard pack trails, but the grit will eat chains and brake pads if wet .

snowslave

You decided which way you’re doing it – clockwise or anti-clockwise, and which start point? They’re usual points of debate for this one too.

topangarider
    Free Member

Clockwise I think – just following my mates mate who’s local.

Why – what are peoples thoughts?

TonyL
    Free Member

Clockwise is best I’m off to do it tomorrow for work I’ll report back on conditions! Should be dry and pretty fast at the moment.

knott4me
    Free Member

clockwise for the full loop. the trail is cut up badly in places especially around studely allthough you don,t get to close the trail belwo is still muddy but nothing to serious.

the bontys would be better for the typre of terrain.

i would set off early allowing for regular stop as this is a monster 6 hour ride for the fit.

hills & lots of them. also hebden is a great place for the main stop as food/drink are plentyfull. or check out the robin hood inn @ pecketwell for a nice shandy & beef sandwich.friendly staff too.

keep the pressure around 40 psi & above as the trail can be unforgiving on tubes on the fast downhills.

topangarider
    Free Member

TonyL – sounds like a pretty sweet number!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Mary Townley Loop at the Weekend – Advice needed’ is closed to new replies.