Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Mary Townley directions
  • D0NK

I've been told the MTL is well signposted and trail centre-esque easy to follow. Can anyone confirm? I don't have OS maps just a rough printout of the route, do you reckon that's enough?

Oh yeah and is the general consensus clockwise or anti?

MrSparkle

Pretty much. You need to keep your eyes skinned for the signs at times but a man of your wit and intellect should be ok.

Clockwise for me, btw.

twinklydave

print this map out and take it with you just in case?
    it is well signposted, but its not unknown for people to miss a turning

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    D0NK

Cheers Simon.

Thats the rough map I have thanks twinkly, doesn't look to hot in B+W tho.

MrSparkle

When are you going, just out of interest?

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Anyone got a .gpx they could ping me?

twinklydave

oh ok, you'll be reet with that map and some nouce 😉

(as a guide; if you've not ridden up something steep or very long for 5 minutes, you've gone the wrong way…)

D0NK

When are you going, just out of interest?

tomorrow if I can motivate myself, otherwise I'll do the 3towers. Why you up for a spin round MTL?

MrSparkle

Just wondering. I am working all week (just for a change) but I feel like I should get some miles in before Kielder.

stumpyjon

Clockwise and it's reasonably well signposted, just be careful where the Pennine Bridleway heads off towards the Peaks. In last years challenge someone ended up on the southern side of the M62.

Having said clockwise a mate of mine said he's just ridden anti-clockwise in preparation for this years challenge and thought it was easier that way. To qualify that though he finished last year in 4hrs 50 mins so his easy and my easy aren't usually in the same country yet alone the same trail.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I have the proper map which is basically that but laminated.
    Not much use though really is it. I would have been up for this if you [sulking] ever bothered to gove me enough notice about your weekday rides[/sulking]
    [happy] it would kill me anyway[/happy]

Doing it on your own?

D0NK

if you [sulking] ever bothered to gove me enough notice

Pick a day early september and we'll sort something out 🙂

Doing it on your own?

Yep, tho currently the weather is pushing me towards 3towers instead, similar distance but no need for time consuming map checks and less gates 🙂

Oh and cheers for the info everyone

Junkyard
    Free Member

4/5/6th th sept

I am doing coast to coast 15th /16 th so not too near that or immenent baby dropping?
    Any use?

Lowey was also keen on doing this will see if he is free.
    Assume it is ok on hardtail (weight saving) anyone?
    You taking the Santacruz to even things out?

D0NK

STW lee quarry ride the 6th, will mail you about the rest.

Junkyard
    Free Member

oh yes good point

Junkyard
    Free Member

oh yes good point

HendyTreker
    Free Member

What about the Rossendale challenge on the 13th Sept?

D0NK

Well that sucked, I found an mmo route of the MTL and printed out a big detailed map. It was wrong, it took a slightly different route to the MTL in a few places and a completely different route on heptonstall moor. So when the MTL signs did get thin on the ground and I needed a map check I often wasn't where the map suggested I was and took a wrong turn – yes this could have been solved by double checking the map before I set off but MTL = MTL I'd have thought. Anyway I figured out what was wrong halfway round and used the map as a rough guide from then on and did OK. Will try to figure out where I got this mmo from and have a moan at the creator.

Official signage is mixed, in one rat run with no turn offs there were loads of signs in other places like open moorland with loads of turn offs there was only a sign every 2 miles or so.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Mary Townley directions’ is closed to new replies.