Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Mary Towneley Loop – how hard?
  • dawson

I’m think of setting myself this target for later on in the year – might enter the Challenge – I know its 47 miles..

What are other peoples experiences of the MTL?

sefton
    Free Member

Alright Catherine, I think Clover knows the area pretty good – no doubt she’ll comment.

cheese@4p

It’s a good challenge. Build up to the mileage and you should be OK.

ratherbeintobago

Not all that technical, from memory. Just long. Easy enough in good weather though the boys from the LBS (CycleAddicts in Rochdale) did it last Sat in the pissing rain in 7-8h, going from Watergrove.

Perceived wisdom is that clockwise is better to ride than anticlockwise (more gradual climbs and rideable downhills, rather than endless shallow descents and pushing uphill) but opinions do vary.

Andy

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Cchallenge is good. always a good turnout. always peopoe that know the loop as well. good cause and good facilities at the school.

TonyL
    Free Member

Can be as hard or easy as you want it to be. If you just go at a nice steady pace I think most regular cyclists can manage it ok. There is nothing difficult on it skills wise. We run it as a guided ride a couple of times a year and normally only have one or two people drop out weather conditions can make a big difference to how much you enjoy the day too hot and you will run out of water too wet and it’s just miserable.

dawson

thanks folks – useful stuff – might enter the Challenge rather than doing it billy-no-mates as I normally ride solo!

sefton
    Free Member

do both recce some sections solo 😉

BikeandBaconButty
    Free Member

Its a good challenge. I feel compelled to do it once a year. I live 10 mins from Watergrove and prefer going anti clockwise for some reason… not sure why, there are awful climbs either way round you tackle it! Cracking countryside ranging from the niceness of Widdop to the bleakness of Rooley Moor. Take plenty of food & and a couple of inner tubes. I usually hover around the 7 to 8 hour mark, apparently somebody managed to go round in just over 4 hours in the official event!

Enjoy!!!

D0NK

bit of a box ticking exercise, not that great a ride IMO. Ridden shorter rides that were more challenging and longer rides that were more fun. Did it CW on my own, navigation was a pain but I am sometimes quite navigationally challenged (plus I was following a route which, unbeknown to me, wasn’t the official route) Doing The Challenge would make it more fun I guess but you’re tied to that date/weather and personally I wouldn’t do it on a minging day.

good challenge tho and some good scenery if bleak is your thing 🙂

yourmywifenow
    Free Member

Also to remember, there are about 50 gates, if you go solo it is a pain getting off all the time to open them, but I believe on the challenge the marshalls open most of them for you. Someone who has done the challenge may be able to say more on that.

adt
    Free Member

The challenge is a good event if your fit but can be a hard day out if your not ,and yes we did go round in 4hrs in the official timed event think it was 2007

lipseal
    Free Member

Next year for me.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

We did it a few years back but too a leisurely 2 days with a night out in Hebden Bridge in between and nice accommodation and great Thai meal, few beers, you get the pace of that weekend out!

Must do it again actually.

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve done it twice, first time was on my full rigid Hei Hei and by the end I felt like I’d done a few rounds with Mike Tyson. Second time was on my Global with SIDs and I felt less beaten up. It’s tough and bumpy in places and there isn’t much water. Have a look at http://www.idonohoe.com for some pics and a description anticlockwise.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Bleak and long with lots of gates is how I remember it.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I’ve never done the MTL before but I’m doing the challenge in sept,it’s my warm up for the manx E2E.
    I’ve done parts of it & it’s bleak on a rainy day,so I’m planning on doing it as a day ride sometime in July.Fingers crossed it’s drying out by then!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Mary Towneley Loop – how hard?’ is closed to new replies.