• This topic has 87 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by dazh.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • Mary Towneley Loop – Lap times for the averagely fit?
  • nickc

Oh g’wan then that sounds like an awsomes plan. Can we time it so that when we get back, the sun is just coming up, that would make it awsomer.

wittonweavers
    Free Member

12th June works for me…

nickc

12th is in the diary.

chipps

So Jason’s going to do it the night before heading to Bristol for the 12 hour race to dominate the race there? I like it? 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

Let’s hold off on the date for a moment. There are emails burning up the ether!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Flexible ish on dates and can lend a spare set of batteries [ and light] if anyone needs a set to get through the night. I have a solarstorm with battery if anyone wants to borrow the battery.

dazh

I’m pretty flexible on dates apart from Mountain Mayhem weekend (20th/21st). Also I know the route pretty well if help is needed with guiding.

I’d forgotten about that Bristol thing, I was planning on doing that as final training for MM so good reminder!

trout
    Free Member

Where will this little ride kick off from

Junkyard
    Free Member

you planning on selling lights half way round 😉

jonnyrockymountain

Mintiperial, I’m sure we could manage a Thursday night Mary town lee loop???

mintimperial

Mintiperial, I’m sure we could manage a Thursday night Mary town lee loop???

Yep, could be a goer. Might have to book a day off work for the Friday though…

dalesjoe
    Free Member

I don’t suppose anybody has a nice link to a decent map of the route? One thing I’m worried about it having enough water & food. So one with a few nearby shops, springs etc shown would be ace!

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Unless there is a 24 hour tesco at the top of one of the hills you may have to be self sufficient on the dusk till dawn ride…

nickc

don’t tell anyone right, but a wee detour to Heptonstall, and we can restock at mine 🙂

dawson
    steve_b77
    Free Member

Definitely keeping my eye on this, mind if I tag along?

dawson

I’ve done the MTL Challenge a couple of times – chucked it down both times – would love to have a go in decent weather!

I missed a few turnings in daylight, nevermind doing it at night.

Will try and get this booked in the diary if you don’t mind me joining too.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Would be good to see if you own a bike never mind on one

Daves Mate 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

Slight hijack.. but related..

Doable on a CX’er ?

Just seen an event pegged for August and I’m considering doing it..

Thought’s (like HTS) around killer climbs/dodgy descents and bogs and thoughts to times you think a CX’er will be able to do it in, and I’m fit but give me fast bloke times..

Hijack over..

fishonabike
    Free Member

Doable on a CX’er ?

Just seen an event pegged for August and I’m considering doing it..
    I assume you mean this: http://mtlcx.com/
    Yes, you can do it on a cx bike – this event is meant for them, although they’ll let mtbs in too.

And yes please to the Friday night dusk till dawn. Only done it solo and anticlockwise before. Took a while. But then it was only my 6th mtb ride ever, so perhaps I can be excused slowness.

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ Thats the fella.

Clearly I see the rides set for the MT loop, just wondering how rough it is, you know never having been up that way before.

Ta.

D0NK

Doable on a CX’er ?

yep I did it last year. Was spot on for 90% of the route, bit uncomfy for 5% and damned uncomfy for the other 5. Biggest problems were descent to widdop res and the one to walsden (clockwise), on the brakes all the way down coz let go and you pick up speed too quick and get a pinch puncture.

oh just remembered due to riding from home I didn’t do the cowpe descent, that’s probably not a bundle of laughs either.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Thanks for that, good to hear it’s ridable for most of it, the descents I understand will be bumpy but good to have your view on those.

Will it be FUN ? 😆

D0NK

Probably about as much fun as you can extract from MTL, I kinda regretted doing that particular route that day but only because I could* have gone to the lakes or peaks and done something really fun. I doubt I’d have had more fun on another bike. Most of it isn’t that technical, lot’s of dirt road, moorland tracks, climbing and mileage – perfect CX territory.

*couldn’t actually now I recall, not easily anyway, didn’t have access to a car

D0NK

bump
    people still interested?

wittonweavers
    Free Member

yep

dawson

I’m still tempted if I can get a ‘pass’ – was a date decided?

(Waves to Dave and ‘Dave’s mate’ – you 2 doing SSUK this year? /end hijack )

Junkyard
    Free Member

Waves back and yes

Are we all going to try and be fully fit this year 😉

PS I did register as Daves mate again 8)

Still interested so lets all agree its a goer and worry about who is organising it later

OK lets pick a date- are we doing it during the day or overnight?

dazh

I’m still up for it. Think the original idea was to do it at night, probably a Friday, and aim to finish around dawn. My weekends are mad busy over the next month or two so that’d still be my preference but I’ll go with the flow. The first or second weekend in June would be best for me.

D0NK

A friday night sounds good. HtS’ party tho so I’m quite happy for him to suggest a date, just looking at getting it “booked” in the family diary.

Hi Dawson yep will be there

Harry_the_Spider

My life is upside down at the moment (new job, a couple of unexpected weekends away, gammy knee that may not last the distance and a karate grading on an as yet unspecified Saturday morning in the next couple of months)

Those who are definites should set a date and us ditherers will just have to fall in.

If you wait for me it isn’t going to happen any time soon.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Friday 12 th then or that weekend – I cannot do the 1st weekend?

Do we have to do it overnight…i sort of like the plan and sort of really dont like the plan at all.

D0NK

Will check the date, got the 12th in my head for some reason – but could just be that you mentioned it on tuesday.

Setting off between 7-8 would should give us roughly half day half night ride….better suited to the 3ish hours run time most lights have,

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes it was just the run time of my lights that was putting me off an overnight ride on the MTL 😉

D0NK

what do people think about starting point? I’d prefer south west quarter of the loop so whitworth, bottom of rooley moor, cowpe, waterfoot, lumb?

Presumably this would suit others from manchester/bolton/blackburn side too, I know there’s a few of us here, not sure about everyone else.

dazh

Friday 12th works for me. Don’t mind when we set off. Any preferences on where to start? Waterfoot is the popular start point but it does mean Rooley Road is right at the end, which is bad enough if the weather’s ok but if it’s crap then it’s an exercise extreme masochism.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Prefer not to end with the worst climb but will go with the consensus

dazh

I’d suggest starting at Wardle, Rooley road then becomes the first climb.

wittonweavers
    Free Member

I’m ok with the idea of doing it at night but putting a sensible head on for a minute, what would happen in the event of an accident (not unheard of eh Daz?) or an unrepairable mechanical (or broken frame, other daz?).

It would be very difficult to extract yourself from the far side of the loop at silly o’clock in the morning!

Would this be a ride together, ie at the pace of the slowest or not? 😀

dazh

Todmorden is pretty much in the middle of the loop so if there’s any major issues we’re never far from my house. Assuming I’m not the one affected (I’ve had all my bike related injuries for this year so only mechanicals to worry about!) worst case scenario is I bug out back to mine to get the car and pick any stranded people up.

Goes without saying though that people should be properly prepared. Check your bike is working and in good order, bring sufficient spares, food and kit in case of mechanicals/extended delays, and be sensible on the descents.

I’m assuming it’ll be usual monday night rules. Sociable pace, no one gets dropped.

Just thought if we start around 7ish from Wardle we can have a halfway(ish) pint at the Ram Inn in Holmes Chapel just before closing time 🙂

I’ve no problem with a daytime loop though if that’s what people prefer. I’ve nowt on that weekend so pretty flexible.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Mary Towneley Loop – Lap times for the averagely fit?’ is closed to new replies.