• This topic has 87 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by dazh.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • Mary Towneley Loop – Lap times for the averagely fit?
  • Harry_the_Spider

Inform me.

dazh

6 hours I reckon, give or take 30 mins. Very much dependent on conditions though. Avoid like the plague if it’s windy, and if wet on the ground and muddy, add an hour or two for the inevitable mechanicals.

dazh

Oh and don’t start at Waterfoot. Doing Rooley Moor as the last climb with 70k in the legs is an exercise in masochism that I wouldn’t recommend. Start at Wardle, go clockwise.

sandwicheater

Was hoping to do this when a tad drier, i’ve set aside 6 hours including a nice lunch.

Clockwise or anticlockwise the most fun?

Harry_the_Spider

Was toying with the idea of a dusk to dawn lap in June.

jonnyrockymountain

I did the challenge last year (7th sept)and very hard 6500ft of climbing, took me 6 hrs and yes the climb over rooley moor the last bit was a real test!!! but it is a fantastic ride both down and up!

antigee

😥
    laps?

edhornby

I’ll come with you 🙂

terrahawk
    Free Member

laps?

what’s up?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Couple fo mates of mine did it last year, well except they didnt.

They chose a really bad day when the weather was horrendous.

One bike got eaten by the mix of water/sand/mud. Eventually the other mate got fed up and stopped.

antigee

terrahawk – Member
    laps?
    what’s up?”

man or mouse i guess

“eak”
    “eak”
    “eak”
    “eak”
    “eak”
    “eak”

mick_r

Last time me and mrs did the challenge together it was 6 hours – and that was 2 months after she had a baby…. I’d imagine a bit quicker now 🙂

binners

Could we do it over a weekend with pub stops?

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

A sensible time?

Allow 8 hours start to finish (not some Garmin/Strava ‘moving time’) including pit stops, one puncture and gate opening if solo.

YMMV.

Cheers
    Paul

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve only ever done the MTL anti-clockwise which to me makes more sense: short steep uphills with long steady downhills. OK, there are one or two steep uphills going A/C but not many. Any reason that I should look at going clockwise?

stumpyjon

Anti clockwise is faster but you do have the hill up to Cragg Quarry that way. Id also allow at least 8hrs door to door plus add a bit for less than ideal conditions. Doing it on the challenge days is not the same as doing it unsupported.

sam3000

How well sign posted is the route? I’ve wanted to do this route for a long time, what put me off was the thought of having to stop for regular map checks.

ton

8 cold wet winter hours when i did it. from hebbers.
    dragged a couple of the sweary northerners round for company.
    we vowed never to did it again.

andy3809
    Free Member

Anybody up for a group ride round this? Really fancy it but the gates and navigation put me off and my
    Mates are all summertime only fairies

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Signposting is very good. I had a map and had done a bit of research on the route. The map wasn’t used on the day(s).

May’s (Aladdin’s Cave) Farm Shop is a great pit stop. A few 100m off route (on road). All the fuel and spring water that you will need (probably closed at night!).

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

binners – Member
    Could we do it over a weekend with pub stops?

have you seen the film Downhill? corker! be ace to do a bike version..

terrahawk
    Free Member

only one or two places you need to be alert to avoid going the wrong way. One at Summit (where the ‘main’ PBW joins and heads south towards Holligworth Lake) and another right turn off a road…can’t remember where that is. Somewhere in Calderdale.

anyway. stay alert!

dazh

and another right turn off a road…can’t remember where that is. Somewhere in Calderdale.

That’ll be here?

Last time I did it there were no signs here I think.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Oh interested in doign this as well this summer so keep me in the loop [ see what i did there]

Not binners piss up masquerading as a bike ride the one that is somewhere between that and what terrahawk can do.

terrahawk
    Free Member

that’s the one. there is a sign, but it’s on the junction rather than before it.
    the worst that can happen is that you’d end up in Hebden (no big deal really). Get the Summit one wrong though and you could end up in Oldham….

terrahawk
    Free Member

if it’s a night ride I’m more than happy to help guide a group round at a friendly pace.

wittonweavers
    Free Member

I have been keen to do this for a while so a group ride would be great!

I’d be happy to have a go – day or night, although battery issues would have to be sorted out – or i’d have to ride a lot faster!

sandwicheater

Anyone who rides the area regularly, how is the loop at the moment? Bog fest?

Have been told it’s best avoided until it’s had few weeks of dry weather.

dazh

I’m up for it too. Day or night, as long as it’s not raining.

GregMay
    Free Member

I’ll pop along for an overnighter.

Is it odd that I like the climb over RM-Road?

sandwicheater

I’d be up for a night loop if you don’t mind a stranger. Will the pub feature at any stage?

Harry_the_Spider

How about a Friday evening in mid summer? Get away at about 7:00 – 8:00pm so we get a few hours of daylight and minimise the burn time on the batteries. All done before 3:00am then back to our dull old lives on Saturday taking the kids to their swimming lessons etc.

D0NK

6hours sounds right, add people and the time will increase (unless one of you actually knows the route – lots of map checks for me)

we vowed never to did it again.

everybody does, I did, twice, wondering when to give it a third go….

<edit>Liking the sound of that Harry, third time’s a charm 🙂

dazh

Is it odd that I like the climb over RM-Road?

Yes. Very odd. Last time I did the MTL was on the challenge in September and it was like a cloud hanging over everyone. One bloke who didn’t know it asked when he would know he was on it, everyone in the group laughed and said ‘you’ll know!’. A little later I think I heard him swearing a lot 🙂

Good plan Harry. Are there any pubs open at 3am?

Harry_the_Spider

Good plan Harry. Are there any pubs open at 3am?

I was thinking of driving home or having a few hours sleep in the S-Max, a cheeky wee up the wheel then head off in time for breakfast.

dazh

Anyone who rides the area regularly, how is the loop at the moment? Bog fest?

I’ve ridden most of the bits round Calderdale in the last few weeks and it’s actually not too bad. Obviously a bit gloopy in parts but a lot of it is hardpack or stone packhorse trail so it stands up pretty well to the wet.

D0NK

head off in time for breakfast.

you know, finishing a ride with a (very) hearty breakfast sounds a bloody good idea. Probably something I should have tried before kids tho as catching up on sleep isn’t really a possibility these days.

Funny, I was also toying with the idea of a dusk til dawn ride this summer, this could be it.

mintimperial

How about a Friday evening in mid summer? Get away at about 7:00 – 8:00pm so we get a few hours of daylight and minimise the burn time on the batteries. All done before 3:00am then back to our dull old lives on Saturday taking the kids to their swimming lessons etc.

I am all over this plan, awesome. 😀

edhornby

shall we talk dates now ? only cos my other half slams our diary all the time so I need to book it well in advance

Friday June the 5th ?

Harry_the_Spider

12th is the only one that Jason can do.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Mary Towneley Loop – Lap times for the averagely fit?’ is closed to new replies.